Fresh carnage!

-

go-fish

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
This engine was put together by an engine builder friend of my Dad’s (not a Mopar guy).

He showed this to me this morning and it happened last night. He haven’t seen this mess in person.

Any guess what happened?

image000000.jpeg

image000004.jpeg

image000002.jpeg

image000001.jpeg

image000000.jpeg

Last edited:
I asked Dad if his builder degreed the cam. Nope.

Since I have a tendency to hoard I was able to give dad a new timing cover, cam retainer plate, oil slinger, and a Blueprint harmonic balancer.

Yikes, had to be very abrupt to break the parts like that. Gear, chain, cover and even retainer. Were is the bolt and the piece of retainer. If it was the bolt loosening and jamming into the chain somehow, you would think there would be marks on the gear from interference. It would be interesting to let us know what you and your dad find out what the cause was.

I agree with 72B&B, no Loctite on the cam plate bolts. Bottom one walked out, trashed the gear and probably jammed between the chain and sprocket or the chain and timing cover and blew the side of the cover out.

Is this a'69 340?

I would have to ask myself.........what else may not be correct?

I hope this is all.

It is. He reused the timing set and Harmonic balancer. :BangHead:

I got him all straight with new parts and a used retainer. The timing set I gave him has three adjustments and we are ordering a degree wheel.

It is. He reused the timing set and Harmonic balancer. :BangHead:

I got him all straight with new parts and a used retainer. The timing set I gave him has three adjustments and we are ordering a degree wheel.
I believe the timing set and balancer were fine. Most likely what 72BluNblu guessed for 800.00

I hope it works out without too many problems. Tell your dad I said hello.

Shouldn't the bottom left bolt with hole be in top left? Not that that was the issue.
What bolt/washer was used to retain top gear?
Actually, it goes in the top passenger's side hole. That's the hole that's open to the intake valley so oil can drip out......if you're lucky.

To catch everyone up on the backstory, my Dad is having his 73 Barracuda repainted by a good friend of ours. The engine was installed at the painter's home based shop. Painter was going to move the car to make room when it happened.
My Dad's other buddy since high school built the engine. He is the owner of a successful local auto repair shop. Honest and well intentioned in every way. The fella has pretty much let his son take over the repair shop and he does custom stuff and engine builds. He's a Ford guy and this isn't Mopar Country so I told my Dad to ask him about the hidden oil gallery plug in the china wall on LA's. He didn't know about that so I offered my Dad to take my Larry Shepherd and Jim Szilagy books to the guy but he didn't.

We never used Loctite back in the day, with no problems. You do need to torque the bolts though. You do not need the drip tab if you use the bolt with the oiling hole.

We never used Loctite back in the day, with no problems. You do need to torque the bolts though. You do not need the drip tab if you use the bolt with the oiling hole.
Was wondering myself about loctite as I just went through this few weeks ago and never was no mention of this. Hoping I didn’t miss something:(

Was wondering myself about loctite as I just went through this few weeks ago and never was no mention of this. Hoping I didn’t miss something:(
You should be good. I usually torque everything 2 to 3 times with a wait between. So not sure how Loctite would work if you tighten it after it has set up. Loctite is technically a sealant, but some are adhesives in some strengths. Blue Loctite may have prevented that carnage.

I never have understood why people are so scared to drill a .040" hole through the thrust plate right in line with the main oil galley so the timing chain gets pressurized oil. It's just so easy to do and costs nothing.

-
Back