Frickin fiat!!!

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wife's 2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk died yesterday on her way home from work. Stalled and won't start, just cranks. She's flying to Michigan this morning, so jumping through hoops to schedule a shuttle to Seattle. Anyway, once there's light I'm gonna go look. Not under warranty, hoping it's simple but doubt it. Since it's "bogged" down a couple times in the past couple days, I'm wondering if the fuel pump or fuel control module went out. There's some limited diagnostics available on screen, I'll look at those but will probably need to pull codes. Google tells me some people have had early problems with batteries, say it will crank but voltage isn't high enough to keep the computer happy, oh boy! I'll keep you posted if anyone wants to follow this sure to be miserable experience....especially if it has to get towed to the stealership.

Yes, mileage is 46k, vehicle was purchased Nov 2013, wife commutes off island. Hope you're right but what is simple with new vehicles? I'm just glad it's not a Grand Cherokee, then I'd be jumping the battery under the passengers seat!!! Well actually I heard they put a couple of posts somewhere in the engine bay, isn't that special???

Well, IMO, it's all of this modern tech that's the problem. Any auto maker suffers from it, not just Chrysler.

I always buy an extended warranty as I just did with the wife's new ride. Just in case.

That's a bummer, I hope it's something simple.

Thanks, yeah modern tech and compound that with first year model. They couldn't even get the vehicles released for some time because of shift point problems with the 9 speed transmission. There was a huge software recall for that one, ours is good for that and with the four banger, gets 31 mpg.....when it's running.

I'm just glad it's not a Grand Cherokee, then I'd be jumping the battery under the passengers seat!!! Well actually I heard they put a couple of posts somewhere in the engine bay, isn't that special???

getting more common then you think

the wifes brand X truck has the battery under a hatch in the floor between the second and third row and two jumper posts in the engine bay

my winterbeater is great for jumpstarting people...it has the battery in the trunk and two posts under the hood
this has allowed me to pass by people on the side of the highway, back up and give them a jump without having to turn the car to face traffic

For what it is worth, I have had my 03 Wrangler for a long time, bought it used at 20K miles.
I have two battery's go bad, every time it starting running like crap for a couple of weeks then bam no start condition.
My guess is the computer does not like low voltage.

Not familiar with your vehicle, but some have a by-pass that you can apply twelve volts directly to the fuel pump. If it works then you can figure it from there.

Ya ,it has a lot to do with fiat, when they took over they fired every jeep engineer and flew there own over from Italy.:???::???:

71340, Does that 9 speed shift good now?

It fought starting but did start so drove to gas station to try to put some better gas in it, wife likes AM/PM....it stalled making the left hand turn into the parking lot. Got it to restart, put some 92 in it. Then coming home, I got on it (ha ha) that gave me a service transmission light and the tranny felt like it was slipping. Then it went straight into highest gear at too low of a speed. All that fun but I got home, smells like the tranny was warm, don't see how, only went 2-3 miles all under 40mph. Not sure yet, but engine computer seems to be acting up maybe. Gotta check that code. I'll keep you posted.

Ya ,it has a lot to do with fiat, when they took over they fired every jeep engineer and flew there own over from Italy.:???::???:

Well they sure as hell shouldn't have fired the electrical engineer, cause they don't do that so well. We have 2 or 3 pending recalls, all are electrical, none would cause this. A long time ago I owned a Rally, Fiat couldn't do electrical then either.

For what it is worth, I have had my 03 Wrangler for a long time, bought it used at 20K miles.
I have two battery's go bad, every time it starting running like crap for a couple of weeks then bam no start condition.
My guess is the computer does not like low voltage.

I may pull the battery and have it load tested. An unhappy computer can certainly cause everything I'm seeing so far.

I may pull the battery and have it load tested. An unhappy computer can certainly cause everything I'm seeing so far.

I would put in a known good one, my old jeep done all kinds of goofy stuff until the battery just flat out bit the dust.
Had one load tested once and it tested ok, ended up replacing at a later date and my problems went away.

I would put in a known good one, my old jeep done all kinds of goofy stuff until the battery just flat out bit the dust.
Had one load tested once and it tested ok, ended up replacing at a later date and my problems went away.

Might just do that after reading codes. Googly has several posts of battery cell failures at 12 months, mines twice that old so....

Reminds me my wife's 2014 Dart is starting to act up, she told me a couple of days ago it was running like there was water in the gas.
Maybe I should take it for a drive, at least it only has 8k miles on it so its under warranty.

You live in a very wet climate. Have to cleaned the battery terminals?

I've been asked for a jump start numerous times in parking lots to only clean the battery terminal ends and watch them drive off. Just did for a coworker a few weeks ago.....

Reminds me my wife's 2014 Dart is starting to act up, she told me a couple of days ago it was running like there was water in the gas.
Maybe I should take it for a drive, at least it only has 8k miles on it so its under warranty.

That's how hers was acting and where she gets her gas it's surely possible. One weird thing, it stalled on BOTH of us making a fairly hard left turn, I'd say is coincidence but I've seen some weird things. A couple of months ago my high mileage work Suburban would light up lights after a left turn, turns out the wheel bearings were worn and the ABS sensor "lost communication" with the mother ship so to speak, and lit up a bunch of stabiltrack etc. lights. Changed wheel bearings (ring and pinion too) and no more problems. Just never know.

You live in a very wet climate. Have to cleaned the battery terminals?

I've been asked for a jump start numerous times in parking lots to only clean the battery terminal ends and watch them drive off. Just did for a coworker a few weeks ago.....

Not yet, just checked for tight. Will do that before I venture out again, probably headed to parts store to read codes. Thanks all for the ideas, I've got no idea what it is and ANY idea is a good one!!!

-
Back