From Panama to SoCal!

-

SnapsCharlie

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I've been lurking in these forums for some time while toying with the idea of owning an A-body Mopar. After moving from Panama to San Diego, owning an A-body seemed more feasible - and after enough scouring, I came across a 1974 Dodge Dart Special Edition with the 318. Met up with the now-previous owner in San Clemente and drove it back to SD.

AuB6NN.jpg

j2DOZV.jpg

I've tried my hand at wrenching on cars before, but this is my first time owning something of this vintage and I'm excited about what I can learn from this. Expect me to ask a lot of noob questions and probably make some people overly use the :banghead: and :tool: smileys when replying to my posts.

I'm also mildly versed in the Photoshop realm, should anyone fancy a quick rendering of an idea they're enterataining. Here's a Nissan Sentra GTi-R project that was never finished, most of my old "chops" were left in a computer in Panama. I think this Dart is going to motivate me to pick up the PS ways again :D

screenshot20130520at125.png

screenshot20130520at125.png

Aaaaaaaanyway... Hi!

Welcome to SoCal and to FABO.
Suggest you check out the Mopar Club of San Diego, they're a great group and can provide plenty of knowledge.

Welcome aboard Charlie! There is a lot of knowledgeable people around the site that'll be more than happy to help you out with your new project.

Happy Moparing! :glasses7:

welcome... give us some memories of the trip back to S D, you drove it back right???

Yes sir! Met with the seller in San Clemente and we went over some things pointed out by the CarChex inspector and the aftermarket parts that were being included as a bundle (New Edelbrock Performer intake, used Edelbrock 1405 carb, new Edelbrock Valve covers, new HEI distributor and coil). He had the car for three months and then had to sell the car after his wife got pregnant. The car started right up as reported by the inspector, I took it for a short drive and later handed over the money.

I followed my girlfriend's car back to SD. On the drive back I had to hold the wheel at that angle to keep it tracking straight and there was a lot of play in the steering.

HHqSfF.jpg

And aside from a non-op A/C compressor, it was fine from what I could see (The steering box leaks would not become critical until a couple weeks later).

I had a Mazda2 as my daily before and I loved the Dart's long hood and the special edition ornament.

qw1TRk.jpg

Fast forward a month later and I currently have a 1974 Dodge Dart Superleggera :D (I got some sound deadening material and this was a good excuse to chase any rust and inconsistencies on the inside).

Xl7ru3.jpg

I'm loving this car more and more as the project progresses.

-
Back