Front End Dolly Idea

-
I see what Hawaii's done there - definitely the way to go. Get your preferred tires and casters rated for the weight, a few bits and bobs welded and drilled to fit/bolt securely and make a proper dolly. Use a floor jack to raise it up on the dolly, attach and done.
If the day ever gets here that I work on it again this is probably the way I will build them...hopefully get large enough casters where pushing it outside might be possible....

Idaho, is the engine hoist part of the dolly setup? My tired old eyes can't tell. A larger photo would help. Maybe ya use the hoist to lift the dolly, bolt it up, then move the hoist out of the way??

ATB

BC

The dolly is attached before suspension removal. It has a hook for the hoist to lift on. In this pic I added a strap as I wasn't happy with my hook. I since welded a u bolt on, and changed to a bigger front wheel.

Attachments

• 225 coming out.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 599
Buy the tire / caster swivels from Harbor Freight and ask your friend to cobble the rest up from scrap material if he can. Bolt up to the bumper bracket holes in the frame.

Attachments

• 071803-Front_Clip_SV-1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 686
  • 011902-Swivel-Caster-2.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 559
  • 011902-Swivel-Caster-5.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 556
I never had an issue with the Harbor freight casters.

Attachments

• 051503-DJCHR_Engine_Bay_Media_Blast-10.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 587
  • 080503-DJCHR_Repaint-3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 489
  • SLCHR1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 514
I never had an issue with the Harbor freight casters.

How much weight do those have to carry? The tractor supply pneumatic tires are only rated at about 350 lbs each. Maybe not that much considering the engine, trans, and front suspension is elsewhere.

This simple scrap angle iron and caster dolly served me well during resto work. The front doesn't weigh anything once stripped down.

dolly01img_01.jpg

Also served as a lift point for installing the engine/tranny from below.

rollingdollyundercarimg.jpg

How much weight do those have to carry? The tractor supply pneumatic tires are only rated at about 350 lbs each. Maybe not that much considering the engine, trans, and front suspension is elsewhere.

I believe the HF casters were rated about 300 lbs. each which was plenty with the whole front end out of the car.

I just had 4 10" pneumatic swivel's come in the mail today.
They are from harbor freight and they are rated for 300# price is $16.99 each.
PN 38994

Looks good Louis!

Thanks Rob. Now it is time to strip that puppy down to a skeleton. The body/paint guy called me today. He say's he wants to get started on it right away. I had to hold him off because I still need to mock the Cell/Trunk all up and the peak dash too if they ever get here. I ordered both about 5 weeks ago.

I'd like to see more ideas for the back end. Not sure how I want to attach.

-
Back