Fuel line? Is it enough

-
Coming in on the end of this issue: Have a 440 Dart went to the drags and on top end noticeably fighting fuel starving issue. Had Carter mechanical pump. Did the budget upgrade, used 1/2 (really just a few cents more than 3/8's), ran a Walbro (sp) pump and Aerotech regulator with a sump on the tank and 3/8 return. No starving issues on top end now. A bit overkill, I get it but it works

DiD the Welbro drop in or were there modifications needed? This sounds like something I might do...

For those that run one, the return line should be at least as large as the feed line. I think the 3/8 line would be fine with the right pump. I don't think a return line is needed for the regulator or pump that would feed it fine. You can always go bigger - it won't hurt. But you never want the return to be a restriction if fuel pressure is important to you.

I just put a 3/8" line from Inline Tube and a 3/8" sending unit in my Dart. The total cost for both was just over $100. I found the sending unit on e-bay.

Ted

Yes, the Walbro dropped right in. I used a regulator, wired it off that.

For those that run one, the return line should be at least as large as the feed line. I think the 3/8 line would be fine with the right pump. I don't think a return line is needed for the regulator or pump that would feed it fine. You can always go bigger - it won't hurt. But you never want the return to be a restriction if fuel pressure is important to you.

Not doubting you but I am curious to how a return line restriction adversely affects fuel pressure?

Not that it matters but your 68 Formula S came stock with 5/16", just like they all did.
still got it laying out beside the garage if u want to come and take a look at it. ben a plumber for 42 plus yrs., I`m sure I know more about pipe and tubing sizes than you, unless your one too. It possibly could have ben replaced by the previous owner or owners,but it was as factory as it could get!???????????///// bob

I had the same questions when i put my car on the road.......that was 2 years ago. Never had an issue with 5/16 line or the stock fuel pump. Ran mid 12's with this set up!!!

I believe a lot of people "overthink" their projects and in the end they waste money........Set up your motor truthfully,in other words figure out how you will be driving your car the majority of the time and set it up for that,you will get a lot more enjoyment that way.

Attachments

• 20130404_124427.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 112
Spanky - with all that rubber you have a fire hazzard there... The three tracks I run wouldn't let you run the car like that.

"Not doubting you but I am curious to how a return line restriction adversely affects fuel pressure?"

A bypass regulator is made to regulate a circular system without a restriction on the return side. If the return is too small the regulator "feels" the backpressure and does not do it's job accurately or very steady. The return should have the same capacity as the feed line to use a bypass regulator effectively and the pump and lines should have extra capacity over and above what the engine requires afor volume at peak power. How much more capacity is dependant on the fuel, the size of the lines, and the overall perforamnce of the car.

still got it laying out beside the garage if u want to come and take a look at it. ben a plumber for 42 plus yrs., I`m sure I know more about pipe and tubing sizes than you, unless your one too. It possibly could have ben replaced by the previous owner or owners,but it was as factory as it could get!???????????///// bob

You must have a 1 of 1, 68 Formula S that came with the 3/8" fuel line option.

Wow , Thanks for all the help everybody Its been a day or so since ice had time to get on. Lots of good feeback..... And spanky that a nice looking setup. I need to get the tti headers so I can put fender wells back in mine looks 1000x better.

-
Back