Fuel pump eccentric problem

-

Donny DartO

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am putting together my 318, and when I try to tighten down the cam bolt it starts to flatten out the bowl shaped washer before it reaches proper torque. I saw torque specs from two sources, 40-45ftlbs and 50ftlbs. Are the specs too high? It's my torque wrench broken? It really doesn't feel like it's getting anywhere near even 40 before it starts to cave in the bowl shaped washer.

Ok well I found a good write up on here about how to put the front on the engine together. Nice job krazykuda. He says 35 ft lbs so maybe I'm just over tightening. I'll try it again today. Does anyone think it will be a problem that the bowl shaped washer is flattened out a little bit? I don't really understand it's purpose.

I torque the cam bolt to 35 ftlbs, and yes it will flatten the cupped washer before reaching the specified torque. 65'

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I am putting together my 318, and when I try to tighten down the cam bolt it starts to flatten out the bowl shaped washer before it reaches proper torque. I saw torque specs from two sources, 40-45ftlbs and 50ftlbs. Are the specs too high? It's my torque wrench broken? It really doesn't feel like it's getting anywhere near even 40 before it starts to cave in the bowl shaped washer.
Provide more details. Original cam or replacement? Long snout cam or short snout?

Original washer setup or replacement?

Maybe even post a picture of the cam gear before the washer and bolt are installed.

Replacement summit cam. Not sure about the snout. Original washer setup. I'll post pictures later if lowering the torque to 35 doesn't help

It may not be available anymore, but MP used to sell a nice machined steel washer that was much more robust than the stock stamped one.

If torquing to less than the factory spec, I’d suggest using a little loctite.

It may not be available anymore, but MP used to sell a nice machined steel washer that was much more robust than the stock stamped one.

If torquing to less than the factory spec, I’d suggest using a little loctite.
Hughes Engines has a version like that available. I think the Mopar one was discontinued, along with almost everything for these old engines.

Depends on the original application of the cupped washer- I know of at least 3 different depths that were used.
Deepest was on the LA 318/360 roller cam engines. They were the deepest because they used a long snout cam and no fuel pump eccentric.
Middle depth is a "normal" LA motor with long snout cam and a fuel pump eccentric. This is what you will run into 99% of the time.
Shortest is the Magnum cam washer- with no eccentric and a short snout cam, it is nearly flat.
These have to be used per their original application, since using too deep of a washer will cause it to crush when tightened, and possibly not tightening totally and loosening up over time. Too shallow of a washer will not tighten the cam gear to the retaining plate, and could allow the cam to "walk" back and forth and eat your cam.
I'll see if I can get some pictures, but not sure I currently have all 3 different washers at the moment.

Thanks for the help. Looks like mine is the middle depth with the long cam snout. 35ftlbs and some lock tight did the trick, it tightened up ok. Now I just need to figure out if I need the crankshaft shield thing that goes on the snout after the timing gear. I looked through all my parts and can't find one, but I also read in my book that some don't have it.

I would put the oil slinger on, it helps to keep the oil from migrating past the front seal. Ask me how I know?

-
Back