fuel pump or clogg in tank??

-

rigrunner

rigrunner
Reaction score
drove the valiant today it started cutting off like it was out of gas. filled it up and have only been 40 miles. got home and it quit in the driveway and i have no gas getting to the carb. pulled the fuel line from the pump it was dry cranked it over and no gas. is it likely the pump went out its only about a year old or could my tank line be clogged. all help appreciated im about ready to sell this thing.

i don't know if you have a clear filter or not, but could be one of a few things. Could be of course a clogged filter or line, or it could be in your fuel pickup. if it has a hole in it like mine did, it is easier to pull air than liquid so instead of pulling in the fuel its just pulling the air from top of the gas tank. It also however could be a fuel pump, which if mechanical can just suddenly go out on ya, good news is that it only cost abour 20 bucks. I would try to "jerry jug" it first to see if your fuel pump is working.

jack the back of the car up a little (higher than the front) pull the feul line at the pump from the tank and gas should run out .If it dont then try a pump.that always works for me.......

thanks for the quick replies. i bought this car almost exactly a year ago and it been heads timing chain tranny carb and now this i love the car but it sure is frustrating sometimes

I went through the same issue with my '74 Dart.
Save yourself some time and aggrevation:

First test is remove the Gas Tank side of your Fuel Pump put a piece of Soft Fuel Line from it into a jug of gas and fire it up. If it runs the clog is from there back. If it does not it is probably the Fuel Pump/Filter.

If it is from the Pump to the Tank:
Drain the Gas Tank,
remove the Sending Unit, check it for flow,
then while it is still removed at the Sending Unit, remove the other end of your Hard Fuel Line from the Fuel Pump, Check for flow from front to rear (I used air to blow the crap outta mine). IF there is a lotta gunk in the Sending Unit it would be wise at this time to drop the Gas Tank and clean it out too.

I know it sounds like a lotta work but it is worth it to have confidence in your Fuel System!
Here is the thread on my '74 Dart:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=43689

Hope this helps,
Later,
Bruce B.

I went through the same issue with my '74 Dart.
Save yourself some time and aggrevation:

First test is remove the Gas Tank side of your Fuel Pump put a piece of Soft Fuel Line from it into a jug of gas and fire it up. If it runs the clog is from there back. If it does not it is probably the Fuel Pump/Filter.

If it is from the Pump to the Tank:
Drain the Gas Tank,
remove the Sending Unit, check it for flow,
then while it is still removed at the Sending Unit, remove the other end of your Hard Fuel Line from the Fuel Pump, Check for flow from front to rear (I used air to blow the crap outta mine). IF there is a lotta gunk in the Sending Unit it would be wise at this time to drop the Gas Tank and clean it out too.

I know it sounds like a lotta work but it is worth it to have confidence in your Fuel System!
Here is the thread on my '74 Dart:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=43689

Hope this helps,
Later,
Bruce B.

if its at the tank where can i pick up a good sender and gasket as mines not working and ive heard most replacements arent to acurate. thanks for the input im gonna try to check the pump tommorow if i have time

Yeah,
My new Sending Unit is not very accurate.
But at least it works now... LOL
When it reads 1/4 tank it really has 10 gals. in it.

Later,
Bruce B.

Also check the short rubber fuel line where it connects to the tank. Sometimes this line get old and cracks and then the fuel pump sucks air. Check your oil also to make sure it does not has any gas in it. Sometimes the pump goes bad and lets gas get into the oil.
What I would do is replace the Fuel pump, Fuel filter, Rubber lines at tank and carb. This way you eliminate future problems. If this does not cure the problem you have a clog at the tank. But before removing the tank and/or pick up/sending unit disconnect the line going into the carb and use an extra piece of line to run it into a clear container. Turn the engine over a few turns and check to see if any gas is coming through the line. If so you have a clog at the carb and will need to take it apart to check for debris. Good luck and let us know what you find.

The arm on the fuel pump will stick in the downward position.
Betting my quarter on this.

Get an air compressor and rags. Disconnect hard line at the pump, Put rags in filler, and shoot air, and see if anything comes out the hard line. No? sock or line. Yes? how much crap blew out? Then continue to the carb. as all kinds of crap is everywhere.

thanks for all the help it was the fuel pump now i have another problem gonna make a new thread

-
Back