Fuel Return with Mechnical Pump

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I've got a minor heat soak/vapor lock issue that I'm trying to fix before the hot season. Currently, I'm running a mechanical Carter street/strip pump to a filter, regulator, then carburetor, as shown below.

My question is, what would be the best method to add a return line to my existing system and would it help keep the fuel a little cooler? I'd rather not add an electric fuel pump. Ideally, I'd like to just run a return line from the regulator to the tank as seen in option 1. What do you folks think? Thanks a lot. I appreciate the input.

fuel line.jpg

fuel line2.jpg

fuel line3.jpg

Picture0407172109_1.jpg

In my opinion, and I know it makes things more complicated, option 2 is going to get cooler fuel to carb quicker.

Use a hemi/6 pac filter with return nipple and run a line back to the overflow/vent tube on filler neck and T it in there.

Why not run the WIX metal filter with a return orifice and run the return off the filter like the factory did?

33041 is for 3/8 line and 33040 is for 5/16. Both have a 1/4 orificed return.

Run option #1 with a restrictor in the return line (except the fuel "in" is the bottom of the regulator). Make sure that your pickup sock is clear ( or get rid of it) and that you have a 3/8 pickup and suction line. Rustys idea with the wix filter is also a good idea.

Thanks guys.

Do the return style filters have a restriction in the return orifice? Otherwise, how does the pump build pressure if the fuel is free flowing back to the tank? Been wondering that a while.

Thanks guys.

Do the return style filters have a restriction in the return orifice? Otherwise, how does the pump build pressure if the fuel is free flowing back to the tank? Been wondering that a while.
Me too?
Waiting for the answer.

I've never had to do what you are doing. You need to find out why you are having issues. Adding a return line is not that simple, it takes some engineering.

I've never had to do what you are doing. You need to find out why you are having issues. Adding a return line is not that simple, it takes some engineering.

Do you run gas with EtOH? Unfortunately, that's all we've got in CA. I plan on adding a heat shield under the carb and some DEI heat wrap over the fuel line near the header. If those don't cut it, I'm gonna have to engineer something. As I said, the issue is very minor, but then again, it's not 100 degrees yet...

Thanks guys.

Yes they have between a .060 to.090 restriction on the by pass.

Why not run the WIX metal filter with a return orifice and run the return off the filter like the factory did?

33041 is for 3/8 line and 33040 is for 5/16. Both have a 1/4 orificed return.

Do the above. The factory ones were not a filter, they were a can. The Wix filter is the closest you will get to factory

I gave the answer in post #6, but I guess yall missed it.

I didn't miss it. It was unclear. Does the 1/4" return on those filters have a restriction (smaller than 1/4" in it? Or is it a whole 1/4"? Everything I've heard says to use about a .060" restriction.

Either way, I've fixed my issue. It works very well now.

Yes they have between a .060 to.090 restriction on the by pass.

Thanks.

I said "orifice". That's clear as a bell. The 1/4" return has an orifice. Don't know how else to say it.

I didn't miss it. It was unclear. Does the 1/4" return on those filters have a restriction (smaller than 1/4" in it? Or is it a whole 1/4"? Everything I've heard says to use about a .060" restriction.

Either way, I've fixed my issue. It works very well now.

Thanks.

Sorry I don't own a crystal ball. If you don't know the answer, keep walkin.

The fuckin answer is yes, it is orficed. It is way smaller than 1/4". Want specifics? Take your *** to the parts store and buy one and measure it. It's under .100" for sure. I have looked at them on the shelf at work. I'm not your slave boy. It's less than 10 bucks. Go get one.

The fuckin answer is yes, it is orficed. It is way smaller than 1/4". Want specifics? Take your *** to the parts store and buy one and measure it. It's under .100" for sure. I have looked at them on the shelf at work. I'm not your slave boy. It's less than 10 bucks. Go get one.

Relax Crusty. The question was pure curiosity on my point and has been answered.

Relax Crusty. The question was pure curiosity on my point and has been answered.

The bonifide Chrysler part is WIX #33054, but the numbers I posted earlier are actually GM replacements. I like them better, because the return is in line with the inlet and outlet, rather than perpendicular sticking out the side of the can.

The bonifide Chrysler part is WIX #33054, but the numbers I posted earlier are actually GM replacements. I like them better, because the return is in line with the inlet and outlet, rather than perpendicular sticking out the side of the can.
Thanks RRR. Is there a particular orientation to the filter when installed?

Thanks RRR. Is there a particular orientation to the filter when installed?

They are all marked with direction of flow. And of course the return is self explanatory. I like mine on the inlet side of the fuel pump. That way, they are located down low and you can usually mount them on the frame rail pretty much out of sight.

They are all marked with direction of flow. And of course the return is self explanatory. I like mine on the inlet side of the fuel pump. That way, they are located down low and you can usually mount them on the frame rail pretty much out of sight.
Good info. Thanks. Does the return out need to be up or down or no matter?

Good info. Thanks. Does the return out need to be up or down or no matter?

I would orient it so it sticks out to the inside of the frame rail where I mounted it. That way, there will be little chance of the return hose interfering with anything.

-
Back