Fuel Tank Leaking...any easy fix?

-

66340SEDAN

FABO Member #3649
Reaction score
The fuel tank in my 1973 Suburban started leaking a couple days ago, a small drip every 5 or 10 seconds. The car has no rust and I can't see any rust on the tank, it is not smashed or dented. There is a pinched seam that runs down the bottom of the tank, not on the sides like most non-wagon cars. This seam is where it appears to be leaking. Is there any easy in-car fix? Or should I pull the tank, clean it out and see what I got? I have seen the Eastwood fuel tank repair/seal kit...anyone use this before? I think if the seam is letting loose the sealer from inside may be the best bet. Pretty tough to find a fuel tank for a 73 wagon in MN. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• Picture 2166.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 429
Not a seam that I know of. Whenever they rust though, it's almost always from the inside out. I've seen tanks that were pristine on the outside but started doin like yours. the easy fix is probably just put another one in it. It's not that tough.

The seam I am talking about is where the 2 halves are welded together. I wonder if I can find a new tank for this boat? Probably gonna pull it.

One more thing is last year the tank was a little damp on the bottom but never dripped. Before I stored it last winter I poured some Sea-Foam in the fuel, now it is leaking after I started driving it. I wounder if there was sludge in the bottom sealing the tank and the additive loosened it up causing it to leak more?

Try rubbing the seam with a bar of Ivory soap. The soap should seal the leak for quite a while! (that is as long as water doesn't reach it.)

I used the has tank repair putty from autozone on my Duster. So far so good.

Oh ok. I didn't realize you were talkin about that seam.....I thought maybe you meant on the bottom. There's some stuff O'Reilly's sells called Red Kote. It works GOOD. But you have to flush the tank out REAL good and dry it completely. I always throw some gravel in um and shake um around like a mad man to knock any scale off the inside. then follow the deestruckshuns on the can. You'll probably need at least one quart...maybe two. It coats the whole inside of the tank. That is of course.....if it's not too rusted inside. It's possible it might not be. I've only seen a handful that were that old that looked good. I stuck a screwdriver through the tank on my 63. lol

...and those puttys work WELL......as long as you can find the exact spot it's leakin from. Sometimes that's difficult.

I used the has tank repair putty from autozone on my Duster. So far so good.

That is what I was thinking but the Napa didn't have a stick of that, they had a mesh style patch with sealer, better for a hole. I will try another store and see if they have any.

Yeah. if you can find the 2 part putty....I think it's like black and grey...that stuff works GOOD. From the sound of it, that will probably fix it. Or you could always break out the oxy accetlyne torch. LMAO

i agree with stroker scamp above...gas tanks typically rust inside out...and a leak will most likely seep very slowly through the shell of the tank than a drip drip you can actually see..i've tried gas tank sealers on my old chevy truck, but it was only a tempo fix and i eventually put a plastic one in...hopefully this design tank went in more than just these wagons...i also hope your sending unit/sump isnt siezed on...that being said, i wouldnt use a "used" tank...my dart only had 24000 miles on it and there was still crap making it through the fuel filters and into the carb...call the summit tech line, have them pull out a Dorman and goodmark book, and see if they can special order u a tank for your car. $200 is worth a new tank to me vs any kind of sealer/repair you wanna do

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Fuel-Tanks/Make/PLYMOUTH/Year/1973/?Ns=Rank|Asc

(i realize these tanks are probably not interchangeable with yours, but just b/c its not on thier website doesnt mean they cant get it!) good luck

I saw a pic where a guys rusted gas tank broke open while he was filling it with gas... didnt save the pic, but it sure was unsettling to see 12gal of gas laying around your car. God forbid there is a cigarette laying near by.
Buy a new tank... I know I did.

That is what I was thinking but the Napa didn't have a stick of that, they had a mesh style patch with sealer, better for a hole. I will try another store and see if they have any.

We use the Napa kit you speak of on fuel tanks at work with great success gas or diesel.

get marinetex,great for boats and metal too,get it at ace hardware or boat shop,works great for gastanks

Had the same problem with this gas tank in this 65 Coronet wagon. Where do you get another gas tank for one of these? You can't! Pulled the tank out which wasn't easy by any means. Had to take the axle out of the rearend just to get it out.

Anyways, I did a test on three pieces of metal, drilled a hole in each one. I got a repair kit from the parts store for one, some JB weld for another, and used metal tape and Panel bond adhesive for another one and let them all sit with gas in them for about 2 weeks.

The winner, the one with the metal tape and Panel bond adhesive. I repaired that gas tank in 2006 and it's still holding strong!

Attachments

• IMG_0575 copy.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 306
Dont risk your vehicle burning to the ground or risk your life with cheap "band aid " fix ,especially on a fuel tank.Pull the tank and have it professionally repaired ,or replace it.The peace of mind knowing it wont leak anymore is worth the extra cash than putting putty on it or glue and always be worried its going to leak again.(sorry,just MHO) =\

LOL...I may try that as a last/temp resort :-D
This suggestion was meant as a temperary solution until you can replace the tank. I've been a firefighter for 29 years and after responding to numberous MVA's with punctured or leaking fuel tanks, this method worked on even some large punctures. I learned this trick from a seasoned mechanic back in the '70's (By the way, I've yet to see a car blow-up as a result of fuel leaking. LOL... A few have burned to the ground though!)

permatex fuel tank repair putty works good as a temporary repair until you can find a replacement tank, I used it on my old truck and it held for a year or two until I junked the truck

-
Back