Garage cleanout = Good Memories w/Dad

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

Well been some bitter sweet times recently. My folks are in their mid 80's (married 63 years!) and for health reasons and to be closer to us kids, they've decided to sell their two story place on a lake in Michigan and move to a one story condo on the bay in Wisconsin (my brother & sister have both retired up there.). We had some great times on the lake in MI over the years and have tons a wonderful memories. But as my mom said, it's anew beginning and we'll just be building new memories and having good times in WI now. Good ole Mom :D

Anyway, I have been driving to MI each weekend to help my folks prepare for the move. Sorting through years of stuff. Last weekend I dug into the garage with my Dad. Has been years since my dad has spun wrenches, but man did we find some memories... Dug up tools that I remember using with my dad when I was a youngster.

There still a lot more to sort through but here's a few that he wanted me have. My daughters and I are sure to use them on the Duster at some point.

These old sets of thread reamers, taps and cutters haven't seen the light of day in years, but saw lots of use "back in the day" and will surely see some use in the future.

Anyone remember topping off their oil with one of these babies? Still has some oil in it! LOL

Now this was considered "High-Tech" when he bought it. I remember using this thing for all kinds of stuff around the house. You never had to re-charge it either! :D

Be well and enjoy that time with your parents,
Pat

A walk down memory lane is always good. I'm sure I could find that same screwdriver in my dad's basement. I'm scared to think of all the stuff he has in the basement. It would take months to go through it all.

Very cool, thanks for the story and pics. I remember skinning knuckles quite often with dad in the shop. I miss it for sure.

My dad had a yankee screw driver. Might have to look through the garage for it when I am back visiting. He is 91, don't know if he would go to the garage with me, but we did a lot of knuckle busting together when I was a teenager, until I "got to big for my breeches."

Good stuff here Divenut.

BTW, LOVE that Sunoco oil bottle.

My dad had a yankee screw driver. Might have to look through the garage for it when I am back visiting. He is 91, don't know if he would go to the garage with me, but we did a lot of knuckle busting together when I was a teenager, until I "got to big for my breeches."

Good stuff here Divenut.

BTW, LOVE that Sunoco oil bottle.

Hey Spike, 91 years old, that's awesome! God Bless. My dad doesn't get around like he used to either. I dragged a padded chair from the house into the garage. He sat in it and as I'd dig stuff out from under his work bench or down from the rafters, dad would tell me what is was and/or where he got it, or asking me if I knew what something was and telling me what it actually was used for when I guessed wrong. =D> The hours flew by and we ended the day with a couple of ice cold beers and more story telling. As an added bonus my 12 yo twin daughters came with me and helped us out. Good stuff right there.

Be well,
Pat

Very cool, thanks for the story and pics. I remember skinning knuckles quite often with dad in the shop. I miss it for sure.

I enjoyed sharing it with my FABO brothers & sisters 4spdragtop. We are blessed to have had the experiences and subsequent memories man. I can only hope my kids can say the same when they're grown ups. :D

In case anybody was wondering:

Thanks for the info 65LoveAffair. I was not familiar with the Yankee Screwdriver term (maybe cause I'm a Yankee LOL. But not only did I learn a new term, thanks to you I know how it came to be. Cool

Pat

Hey Spike, 91 years old, that's awesome! God Bless. My dad doesn't get around like he used to either. I dragged a padded chair from the housed into the garage. He sat in it and as I'd dig stuff out from under his work bench or down from the rafters, dad would tell me what is was and/or where he got it, or asking me if I knew what something was and telling me what it actually was used for when I guessed wrong. =D> The hours flew by and we ended the day with a couple of ice cold beers and more story telling. As an added bonus my 12 yo twin daughters came with me and helped us out. Good stuff right there.

Be well,
Pat

Pat, that is awesome. I will take you up on the padded chair idea. He might go for that. He is pretty game, he just has terrible arthritis and his one original knee is totally shot. Doc says it is bone on bone and he is in a lot of pain. His mind is as sharp as a tack though. We are fortunate, aren't we?

We always called that a yankee screwdriver. Dont know why.

"Yankee" is the brand name. They still make a similar one. "Yankee Push Drill". Anyone who has ever worked for the Bell system (under any name) in repair or install probably has one at home, the new ones have metal handles that are hollow, with a removable top. You store the drill and screwdriver bits in the handle. The functions is identical to the one pictured above.

Here's a new "yankee Screw driver with a plastic handle.
500-0526-v2-lg.jpg

-
Back