Gas tank help

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. Im gona reuse my original gas tank on my 69 cuda. It has some small rust pieces on the inside. Does anyone have an idea on how I can clean the inside out. The tank is in good shape but some how it got some rust/dirt in it. Its been sitting & sealed up for about 37 years. Has anyone done this ? THANKS

A gas tank isn't expensive so jus replace it. If it was attached to the car with fluid in it, you'll need to replace sending unit as well. Just saying.

Im on a short lay off from work right now & im trying to do some things that don't cost a lot. I will be getting a new sending unit.

A piece of chain, a few odd shaped stones, a couple of bolts etc, anything to loosen the crap inside. Just make sure it's rinsed a bit to eliminate the fumes.

Two people can easily shake it around and loosen the crap, rinse/repeat.

I used a chain and about a gallon of laquer thinner the clean out varnish and rust.

a new tank will be great investment when you can afford it. remember if this tank is original or even replaced like 15 yrs ago, it will rust from BOTH sides and you will probably find some pin holes, seems like they can appear anywhere, even on upper corners. like he said get new pickup for it, it will have new filter that will help. an extra fuel filter just before the fuel pump can be a good idea TOO. your tank to engine fuel line fuel line can get pretty rust also.

I JUST did this to my Bobcat gas tank. The chain works good. After I got done, I still took it to my local radiator shop and they cleaned it more and coated it inside and out for 80 bucks. Considering a new Bobcat tank is 250 bucks, that was a deal. Now that it's coated it will last forever. Don't waste money on a new tank if you can save your old one.

I have had to salvage tanks that were in poor condition and were not easily replaced when playing with British motorcycles. Be extremely careful when using solvents that might be flammable! There are prep/cleaners made for the job, creem is one brand we used a lot. The "handful of nuts and bolts" or chain or even rocks does work. I would inspect the tank very carefully for pinholes or rust spots before I put much effort into a tank that can be replaced for under $200. Try finding a replacement tank for a Royal Enfield Interceptor!

There is a product called Red Kote that will coat the inside of the tank sealing leaks and sealing off any rust. You dump it into your tank and roll it around, then dump out excess to coat tank, I have pressure washed the inside of the tank also.

There is a product called Red Kote that will coat the inside of the tank sealing leaks and sealing off any rust. You dump it into your tank and roll it around, then dump out excess to coat tank, I have pressure washed the inside of the tank also.

Yep I used in my 72 original tank after the chain/gravel trick. I did it 5 years ago and haven't had any issues.

Yup , The chain trick works great. There are also internal gas tank sealers out there that can be used as well. But like other member have said.... a new tank is cheap $115 free shipping on e-gads as we speak...or text :)

-
Back