Gas Tank issue...

-

kc0r8y

Reaction score
Hi, I was told by the prior owner that my Dart has a new gas tank. It looks like it does.

My problem is when I try to fill the tank with gas as it gets to the top and gas starts pouring out from under neither from the filler neck side. Then of course as I drive it leaking out. I can't fill the tank past 3/4. It literally feels like there is a huge hole at the top of the tank.

I'm thinking the prior owner didn't put the neck grommet in. Before I drop the tank I wanted to make sure I cover the basic bases for what it could be. The grommets look to be around $15. Is there anything else i should grab that would be on the possibility list? I'm dropping the tank at a friends shop so I'm trying to avoid dropping the tank twice.

Thank you for your help.

The is a seal that seals the filler neck to the tank. It's either old or was damaged during install if he changed it with the tank.

What year Dart ? Early A's differ from the 67 up as far as the size of the grommet.

The only holes in the tank are the filler neck hole and sending unit hole. From what you described I'm with you on thinking that the grommet is either not there or poorly installed or not replaced the old one. There could have been an issue with when installing the tank the grommet got hung up on the filler neck and got pushed into the tank. If that happened the po may not of known it happened.

Good luck and hope it is just a minor fix with the grommet.

You don't need to drop the tank to check /replace the grommet. You can access it from inside the trunk. If it needs installed or replaced, you will need to remove the filler neck.

You don't need to drop the tank to check /replace the grommet. You can access it from inside the trunk. If it needs installed or replaced, you will need to remove the filler neck.

The Dart is a 1969.

Now looking back at some pics you're absolutely right.
If I pop the screw off of that black cover I can look right down there... It's always the stuff right in front of your face.
y23df9GKEJOf3m7zq2tla3UC0URS_q3evKwWBvvoK06gvQvDlUjudIxqfrvXYK68mgZySekAt76cqGSlLe=w1119-h839-no.jpg

You access it from under the car,not inside the trunk. They could have also dented the tube during install/removal too.

You access it from under the car,not inside the trunk. They could have also dented the tube during install/removal too.

I would imagine that I could see something from within the trunk if I remove the black plate around the filler neck.

No,climb under the car on the passenger side and have someone bounce and shake the car side to side. It's down under the trunk floor. That seal is to seal the tube to the trunk floor.

No,climb under the car on the passenger side and have someone bounce and shake the car side to side. It's down under the trunk floor. That seal is to seal the tube to the trunk floor.

Sorry man, but I have to disagree.
I changed mine in 15 minutes through the boot in the trunk by taking that rubber cover off and the filler neck loose from the fender.
A little silicone or grease on the tube going back in and it was a breeze.

Sorry man, but I have to disagree.
I changed mine in 15 minutes through the boot in the trunk by taking that rubber cover off and the filler neck loose from the fender.
A little silicone or grease on the tube going back in and it was a breeze.

I think I'm going to go with this option.

I hope it goes without saying you should not be driving it until fixed. The "Pinto dream" comes to mind........

a79ef54838e040f15fb63988f31c8599.jpg

I hope it goes without saying you should not be driving it until fixed. The "Pinto dream" comes to mind........

View attachment 1715049021
They may have been explosive, but they were a GAS to drive. :lol: At least coming from someone that was acustomed to driving a full sized pickup. Funny, nobody said a thing about pickup gas tanks being directly behind the driver's seat until years after that. I can't couldn't begin to count the number of tanks I filled by tipping down the rear license plate :realcrazy:

They may have been explosive, but they were a GAS to drive. :lol: At least coming from someone that was acustomed to driving a full sized pickup. Funny, nobody said a thing about pickup gas tanks being directly behind the driver's seat until years after that. I can't couldn't begin to count the number of tanks I filled by tipping down the rear license plate :realcrazy:

1969 Roarunner was under the plate.
Kind of a PIA. :D
BTW, we moved here to AZ from Santa Maria and have family in Templeton and Paso.:D

If you find it let me know mine leaks too, but it seems to be on the passenger side from the top.

well the grommet is fine, its just not seated properly, so the bottom is hanging half off. I'll drop the tank this weekend and straighten out the grommet and hopefully that will solve the problem.

As TB said in post #11;Silicon lubricant;

the slipperiest lube known to the mechanic. I use that chit on everything. Ok almost everything,lol.
To be clear, that is spray silicone that is being suggested. I had a truck where the previous owner used a tube of silicone to seal the rubber filler neck. Every time i put gas in, it would dissolve some of the silicone, only to re harden somewhere else in the fuel system. Nothing fixed it except to rip out the entire fuel system, and replace it.

To be clear, that is spray silicone that is being suggested. I had a truck where the previous owner used a tube of silicone to seal the rubber filler neck. Every time i put gas in, it would dissolve some of the silicone, only to re harden somewhere else in the fuel system. Nothing fixed it except to rip out the entire fuel system, and replace it.
That's right. There is no "silicone" based sealant or gasket maker that can withstand constant exposure to gasoline or gasoline vapors. You shouldn't need any sealant on the filler tube grommet anyways.

Silicon lubricant, guys; not silicon sealer..
I use the RoadRanger transmission O-ring LUBRICANT from Fuller; the most awesome LUBRICANT you will ever find for rubber parts.
Plus you can use to lube the belt on your treadmill.

-
Back