gear pattern experts

-

berry-cuda

Reaction score
Hey guys setting up my new ring and pinion and was wondering your thoughts on the gear pattern I have, not sure if it's ok or to add more shim to the pinion thanks

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_4681.JPG

Yeah I was thinking that, is that corrected by moving pinion depth closer to ring gear?

The carrier needs to move towards the pinion so the ring gear will engage the pinion deeper. Other than that, it looks good.

I think it could use slight more pinion depth but it's pretty good, definitely needs more engagement though

disregard pinion depth, it's spot on! lol
thought the coast side was the drive side....

I think he has the pinion gear depth dead on. In that first picture, you're lookin at the drive side of the ring gear teeth. That's the most important side and it's right on the money. That's my opinion and I'm stickin with it. lol

I agree, don't k ow why I thought coast side was drive side lol...

so to get things right all he needs to do is bring the ring gear in with the bearing adjusters correct?

Yes first pic is drive side second is coast, so if the carrier needs to move closer towards pinion but my back lash is .007" what does one do because if I move it in more I'll loose my backlash spec

I think he has the pinion gear depth dead on. In that first picture, you're lookin at the drive side of the ring gear teeth. That's the most important side and it's right on the money. That's my opinion and I'm stickin with it. lol
I'm lookin at Taiwan in the first pic !!!

8 3/4 with 3:91 and true trac

Then adjusting the backlash is very simple. Loosen the side opposite the ring gear flange, then tighten the side of the ring gear flange. This will move the ring gear closer to the pinion and engage it more.

Yeah I have the backlash set already, so should I leave everything the way it is? And not move the ring gear closer?

Yeah I have the backlash set already, so should I leave everything the way it is? And not move the ring gear closer?

I would move the carrier over to engage the pinion more. It's simple. You can move the carrier over and still have .007"back lash. The carrier will just be in a different spot.

Moving the carrier over more closes up the gap between the ring gear and pinion tightening up the back lash does it not? Or am I misunderstanding?

Add .005 to pinion depth shim, readjust carrier to .008 back lash. Adding to pinion shim will center pattern on tooth face and .008 backlash is center line of spec. ( .006- 010 ) for street gears

I always set mine up with zero backlash and let it wear in. I know......criticism will follow, but I dont care. It's worked for me for more than 35 years.

Ok that's what I was thinking just wanted to hear someone else agree lol I'll add a shim thanks

Ok I added a .010" shim to the pinion depth and I think it turned out ok, let me know what you think, backlash is at .007" and total rolling preload is 30"lbs

IMG_4683.JPG

IMG_4684.JPG

-
Back