Gen 1 Auto Console in Gen 2

-
Reaction score
Does anyone know if a generation 1 automatic tranny console will work in a 67 Barracuda? I like the smaller look of those consoles (64-66) but dont know if they will fit the later A body tranny hump. I don’t think the shifter or it’s attachments will work, maybe the 66 shifter will? I’m more interested in just the shell of the console not so much the shifter itself working, though that would be a bonus. If the shifter cannot connect I’ll just put in an aftermarket shifter. Thanks for any input.

I'm not positive, but are you referring to the vertical gate- looking shifter with the black and silver knob? I THINK those shifters and mini console are for cable shift automatics. A 67 auto is not cable shift.

Thanks for replying. I think the 64-65 were cable shifted while in 66 they went to a rod system. I don’t know if the 66 linkage system would work in my 67 or not but I’m mostly interested in the console body; I THINK I can use an aftermarket shifter with it, Hurst probably. I don’t care for the look of the aftermarket plastic consoles but I do like the compact size of them and the 1st gen Cudas.

Thanks for replying. I think the 64-65 were cable shifted while in 66 they went to a rod system. I don’t know if the 66 linkage system would work in my 67 or not but I’m mostly interested in the console body; I THINK I can use an aftermarket shifter with it, Hurst probably. I don’t care for the look of the aftermarket plastic consoles but I do like the compact size of them and the 1st gen Cudas.
I agree the 2nd Gen a-body consoles are kinda "meh". They are pretty outsized, and they're pretty heavy, too. I've seen one that was customized that was pretty cool looking, but it was still big, and heavy.

-
Back