General question on race headers-Nhra rule

-

swifter

Reaction score
Ok it's not that I would do this but is it legal???????? Can u according to NHRA rules for Pro class-turn headers around and run them straight thru the hood????? I can find nothing that it would be illegal to do????? All i can find is that they have to be directed away from the driver,Well if they are straight out of the hood in a way they are--Thanks Guy's Steve

Ok it's not that I would do this but is it legal???????? Can u according to NHRA rules for Pro class-turn headers around and run them straight thru the hood????? I can find nothing that it would be illegal to do????? All i can find is that they have to be directed away from the driver,Well if they are straight out of the hood in a way they are--Thanks Guy's Steve

Don't think the idea hasn't crossed my mind a hundred times! Oh boy, that would be loud and nasty !:D
I'd just never get away with it on the street .

Sounds like a hair split.
The exhaust is pointed up and goes that way until the car moves into the exhaust as you travel down the track......

I'd worry about air from the speed of the vehicle traveling down the pipe and creating a back pressure nightmare.

dylan-why wouldn't the guys who run the collector out behind the front tire have the same problem???? air flow and pressure don't care if its on the side of the car or on the top of the car at speed,again this is just a random thought i have had and wondered why you don't see a lot doing this and if it is within the NHRA rules.Thanks for the responses--Steve

Okay I read it again... I misunderstood something the first time. My mistake guys. Lol not sure how I got that twisted around.

I think you don't see it much because usually a zoomie type header will lose power over a well built merge collector. Typically you'll see a zoomie on a supercharged motor where back pressure is not wanted

-
Back