Get this party started!

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
Finally things are coming together for the Goldfish. She`s been down since late Dec., `06 and is getting a new drivetrain.The engine, with it`s new rotating assembly (499 cubic inches), heads, cam, and headers is ready and will be joined in HOLY#$%^ matrimony to the Tremec 5 speed and gently shoehorned into the engine bay.(How do people ever fit Hemis in these things?) I`ll be adding a hydraulic clutch and 3" exhaust. I`ve just got step one taken care of ,that is getting the driveline in the car. I`ll have to mount the intake, alternator, fan and radiator this weekend. The headers will have to wait for now. I have to break in the engine with the stock exhaust manifolds, readjust the valves and retorque the heads. The new valve covers can only be removed if I unbolt the heater box, yup......you heard right, the heater box. I think they might have to go! Anyway here`s a few pix of todays progress.

IM000145 (Small).JPG

IM000147 (Small).JPG

IM000148 (Small).JPG

IM000151 (Small).JPG

IM000154 (Small).JPG

IM000155 (Small).JPG

IM000157 (Small).JPG

Awesome! Looks like everything went in pretty well. The hydraulic clutch might be fun. I'm right behind you. Hope to have mine on the road in a couple months. Finally got the offsets and the runout (0.002) done for my Lakewood bell.

That is one sexy ^%$#$%^ engine! Those valve covers are beautiful! 6 Bbl. no less! Nice job wedging that SOB in there too....

Where you live? I want a ride in that thing!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh! Pretty. Yeah that was my Homer Simpson impression. Damn that looks good. I am going to get a set like that for my small block. Get her going and report. Kill a set of tires or two.

Very cool! You have got to tell us how it runs when you get done. It's looks to me that you would only have to remove the blower motor to remove the valve cover? or is it just the angle of the photo?

Hay Hay Hay beter get out of longgones way!!! :blob:
You have been keeping the Barracuda busy .
That fish will be standing up and talking to us soon.

Great job Longgone don't scratch my car :toothy7:

daves66valiant said:
Awesome! Looks like everything went in pretty well. The hydraulic clutch might be fun. I'm right behind you. Hope to have mine on the road in a couple months. Finally got the offsets and the runout (0.002) done for my Lakewood bell.
Dave that`s tight ,my reading was .012 which equates to .006. When I called Keisler about it ,they said let it go because (as you know)the smallest offset dowel is a .007. The new m/c arrived yesterday and looks like an easier fit. I`ll let you know how things progress.

FASTBACK340 said:
That is one sexy ^%$#$%^ engine! Those valve covers are beautiful! 6 Bbl. no less! Nice job wedging that SOB in there too....

Where you live? I want a ride in that thing!
Yeah the car was already quick but I`m anxious to see what the extra 60 cubes and bigger heads will do. Having that .64 5th gear is going to be just great! I can actually drive the interstate again! I`m in Virginia and with the 5 speed I could conceivably drive to N.Y. but I`d have to mortgage the house for gas money first.

ramcharger said:
Very cool! You have got to tell us how it runs when you get done. It's looks to me that you would only have to remove the blower motor to remove the valve cover? or is it just the angle of the photo?
No, it`s not the photo angle, it is that close and yes the blower motor has to be removed to get the valve cover off. Wouldn`t you know I`ve got solid lifters too!

memike said:
Hay Hay Hay beter get out of longgones way!!! :blob:
You have been keeping the Barracuda busy .
That fish will be standing up and talking to us soon.

Great job Longgone don't scratch my car :toothy7:
I`m being real careful with her Mike. :toothy7:

Longgone said:
No, it`s not the photo angle, it is that close and yes the blower motor has to be removed to get the valve cover off. Wouldn`t you know I`ve got solid lifters too!

That sucks. So you know you have to pull the motor out already and you haven't even run the motor yet. Good luck with it. Looks great.

Jason

Longgone said:
Dave that`s tight ,my reading was .012 which equates to .006. When I called Keisler about it ,they said let it go because (as you know)the smallest offset dowel is a .007. The new m/c arrived yesterday and looks like an easier fit. I`ll let you know how things progress.

Yeah it took me 2 hours to get the dowels turned just right to get the best runout readings. Mine was originally .015 out. The offsets really shored things up. :blob: What a pain in the *** taking the bell on and off. Good to go now. Yeah keep me updated on the MC. I was reading the instructions again today. Nice work.

daves66valiant said:
Yeah it took me 2 hours to get the dowels turned just right to get the best runout readings. Mine was originally .015 out. The offsets really shored things up. :blob: What a pain in the *** taking the bell on and off. Good to go now. Yeah keep me updated on the MC. I was reading the instructions again today. Nice work.
Started with the new m/c today and as the other one the mounting bracket would fit better if it was machined around the hump on the firewall. The slave cylinder mounting bracket is the same way,it`s flat and without any offset it hits the hump of the firewall. I`m seeing more each day that there`s a lot more that Keisler could do to make this a better fit for the A-bodies. Got a late start today but hopefully tomorrow I`ll have it done. I`ll let you know how things work out.

-
Back