Getting fed up...

-
Amazingly, Autozone of all places used to sell American made and remanned starters, alternators, distributors, water pumps and other parts from a plant they had in Texas years ago. Of course, like other companies lookin to save a buck, now they outsource. It was a shame too, because it used to be quality stuff.

I worked for them around the time they were shifting away from the domestic rebuilds. Shockingly it wasn't (entirely) a greed thing, they couldn't get enough good cores.
Something like 80% of cores were either the wrong part entirely, massively damaged, or missing critical parts and so got canned and scrapped.
Of course, the "take anything" policy of the big chains practically invited this so it's on them more than the customers.
Cash for clunkers didn't help, nor did a prolonged shitty economy and a volitile commodity market that business a pain and often made it more viable to recycle scrap cars than part them out.

I have to say, I've been encouraged by Rock Auto.
I like that the pictures they show seem to be pretty accurate to what you will get.

I have had a couple of really bad experiences with chinese wheel bearings, so I try really hard to stay away from chinese made products.
I know, easier said than done, but I can scroll down through the listings on RA and usually find something made in this hemisphere.

If I am forced to go to Advance, Auto Zone or OReilly's I just know it's going to be chinese.

Recently I was looking for inner tie rod ends for my 93 Dak. By waiting and looking I was able to get OEM US made TRWs.

I have to say, I've been encouraged by Rock Auto.
I like that the pictures they show seem to be pretty accurate to what you will get.

I have had a couple of really bad experiences with chinese wheel bearings, so I try really hard to stay away from chinese made products.
I know, easier said than done, but I can scroll down through the listings on RA and usually find something made in this hemisphere.

If I am forced to go to Advance, Auto Zone or OReilly's I just know it's going to be chinese.

Recently I was looking for inner tie rod ends for my 93 Dak. By waiting and looking I was able to get OEM US made TRWs.
True- Rock doesn't seem to be much different than any other supplier in that regard. Being a reseller, they handle a lot of the brands that everybody else sells- they buy up overstock and closeout inventories from various warehouses and chain stores and sell them at discount prices, albeit with outrageous shipping prices- so you can kind of pick and choose which parts you're going to get. Heck, I've even gotten genuine "Mopar" parts from them. Returns are a pain, though. You do your due diligence and hope for the best, like most places.
I've only had mixed luck with well-known name parts lately, as a lot of them have been going overseas and QC isn't what it once was... have you checked out Wix filters lately? Even some Timken/National stuff is Indonesian (although I haven't had major issues with it yet).

Be aware that Rock Auto is not an authorized retailer for a lot of parts manufacturers, so this may open up the possibility of receiving counterfeit products for those brands. Just like with Amazon and Ebay. There are lots of fakes out there these days.

I feel the pain!!!
But my excuse to sell most everything is that my age and health is aging me out. Bot I agree, poor quality parts has been an issue for quite a while and I doubt it will get any better. We live today in a throw away world!
But,, the collector car market is SOFT! In 50 years in the hobby, I always seem to try to sell when the market is the lowest!!

Watch out for Rock Auto; I ordered a water pump, received the correct part number on the box, but the wrong water pump inside the box. There was no way to contact a human being so I could explain, arranging an exchange or return all had to be done online, with no place to describe the actual problem. I was offered a full refund for the part, but would have to eat the shipping to return. Their mistake! I put the water pump on a shelf and haven't bought from Rock Auto since then.

Watch out for Rock Auto; I ordered a water pump, received the correct part number on the box, but the wrong water pump inside the box. There was no way to contact a human being so I could explain, arranging an exchange or return all had to be done online, with no place to describe the actual problem. I was offered a full refund for the part, but would have to eat the shipping to return. Their mistake! I put the water pump on a shelf and haven't bought from Rock Auto since then.
I understand!!
But I usually save 50% over O' Really Auto even figuring in shipping. Where Rock gets ya, is getting parts from 2-3 different warehouses. I will always] put all the brands I will use in the cart and see what is shipped form where.

My wife and doc, think I need to stay active, I think I need 1 done car to just wash and drive!!

Oh, it ain't just Rock.
I've actually gotten a box of used brake parts from O'Reilley's, but I always check the box right there at the counter, so they immediately re-ordered for me.
Yes, Rock's returns can be a bit frustrating, but with big ticket items I've taken to shooting a video of the package being opened. They covered return shipping on one part, and told me to just keep another part and sent me a new one another time. I hate playing games, but it's getting so you have to if you want to be in the hobby.

I have been wanting to tool up for making new voltage regulators, ignition modules, and other electronics. Unfortunately the local zoning takes a dim view of mass producing automotive electronics in a spare bedroom for some reason. I do know a few contract manufacturers from when I worked at DIY Auto Tune, but that requires a larger investment. Been trying to work on some interior trim bits in the meantime.

And I know I'm not the only one.
This is a parts rant. Replacement parts have become such a hit-and-miss proposition, it seems like it's at less than 50/50 odds anymore. Every time I order parts (and it doesn't matter where the source is, O'Reiley, Napa, Rock- they all sell the same crap now) it seems like half of them go back. Just in the past weeks I've dealt with defective or incorrect master cylinders, fuel pumps, voltage regulators, fuel filters, tires; and timing chains that have more slop in them than the one I'm replacing... seems like half of my "car time" is spent returning or repairing/rebuilding "new" parts, and that's not an exaggeration. And the source doesn't matter anymore, either- what used to be the "quality/go-to" brands are just as bad as everyone else. And it's not just offshore junk, a lot is made domestically too. This is getting to be frustrating as H*ll, and I'm actually beginning to think it would be a better investment of my time and money to just sell it all and take up stamp collecting. Well, that ain't gonna happen- but the thought has occurred to me more than once. But this has definitely taken most of the fun and enjoyment out of the hobby for me. It's becoming a chore that I don't look forward to anymore. I've quit doing side jobs and repairs for anyone else, since I can't guarantee any kind of quality or satisfaction, and I ain't going to put my name on the line for things that are out of my control.
Rant over for now.

Since Covid the number of parts that have disappeared is scary. Things you could get (rebuild kits for wheel and master cyclinders, RV2 compressors, etc) have disappeared. It is only going to get worse.

One RA order, 2 identical sealed packages of same part. Different lengths, different ID and OD. The left one is substantially heavier.
They just let me keep them and refunded me 100% so that was good
bush 1.jpg
bush 2.jpg
bush 3.jpg

The way the EPA is regulating emissions now, with a 90% further reduction in regulated emissions coming in 2027, there is no way ICE's will meet requirements. Thus forcing OEM's to produce hybrids and EV's only. We will soon become just like Cuba where the average car is 60 years old. Maybe, if the election goes one way and not the other, the EPA can be gutted as they are totally worthless in managing the environment. Remember how well they did with the mining waste being dumped into the Anamis River a few years back.

Just in today. Some 100 "climate" groups are lobbying all the major US large Banks, as in JP Morgan and such, to stop providing credit to all the US companies that are suppliers of dairy and meat.
All of US ag, ALL of it, is estimated to only produce about 10% of all of US greenhouse gases.

I bought a complete a/c kit from rock auto for my 06 dodge diesel, came with compressor,dryer,and orfice line. All parts were four seasons. 1 month later it got low on freon checked it and compressor was leaking in the seam where it was puut together. Rock auto repace the whole kit with another kit so I had to replace everything again. Fast forward another month that compressor did the same thing. they gave a refund for the first replacment which was good except I had to eat the freon and labor and all the flush supplies. So when this one went out I was tired of all the crap so I ate the second one and bought local and different brand hopefully it will work for a while. I have used tones of four seasons a/c parts over my 45 years of being a mechanic but never again.

I can explain, as it was to me, why some wrong boxing happens.
All the parts end up on the counter, using whatever fits, then someone puts any part in the most expensive boxes, and returns them for credit.
Wrong part to you/us, ripped off price for parts store.
Boosted price to the customer.
Cruise for the repair shop owner.

Last edited:
Are aftermarket parts any better for newer cars? I know parts some like motor mounts made in India (Anchor, DEA, ...) are just as bad for my newer vehicles as for my classics. You can always go to the dealer for branded parts, but the prices may amaze you, especially on a newer model. You could switch to a battery car, but last I saw Tesla charges $750 + labor to replace a driveshaft, which wears out every 10K miles in a Model S or X if you like that acceleration. I've bought a driveshaft for my minivan which looks the same for $25.

Re the master cylinder issue shown above, I installed more modern 2-bolt aluminum MC's in my old Mopars, to get the dual F-R system. You don't have to stick with OE designs. I re-engineer when it simplifies and saves cost. Can always bolt back the old parts if the car ever heads to a museum.

I've used the newer masters too, but in this case I used the original style master cylinder so I could retain my factory booster- the new two-bolt aluminum ones don't fit, and no- you can't use the adapter plate on a booster. Besides, the odds are no better with a late model parts store master than with an earlier parts store master...
And here's an update on that master, while we're at it:
Upon disassembly, I found the ENTIRE secondary piston and spring were installed BACKWARDS. Hmm... no wonder there was no pressure!
"Built and tested to meet or exceed factory standards" my everlovin' a$$.

I've been yelling about this for several years now. It's a crisis in my view. Maybe the only solution is for some of us to make and sell our own parts. Detroit Muscle Technology as an example.

I just put on one of those '73-up masters but haven't tested it yet.......oh boy.

Yup, yesterday I received L & R rear calipers for my '07 Ram. Right one was good and so was the other right one in the left side box. Piss me off. 'Gotta get back on line tomorrow to straighten it out. I always thought that they included a shipping label?

True- Rock doesn't seem to be much different than any other supplier in that regard. Being a reseller, they handle a lot of the brands that everybody else sells- they buy up overstock and closeout inventories from various warehouses and chain stores and sell them at discount prices, albeit with outrageous shipping prices- so you can kind of pick and choose which parts you're going to get. Heck, I've even gotten genuine "Mopar" parts from them. Returns are a pain, though. You do your due diligence and hope for the best, like most places.
I've only had mixed luck with well-known name parts lately, as a lot of them have been going overseas and QC isn't what it once was... have you checked out Wix filters lately? Even some Timken/National stuff is Indonesian (although I haven't had major issues with it yet).
Last year I had a WIX oil filter leak at the seam on my 5.9 Cummins.

Use Super Tech(Wally World). I've used them for many years on my fleet and they're USA made. Zero problems.

-
Back