Getting ready to hot tank block

-

racingsnake440

Reaction score
I'm stripping down my 360 for a rebuild and will be getting the block hot tanked. I know I need to take out the freeze plugs and oil gallery plugs on the back of the block and I'll be getting new cam bearings fitted.

I have two questions:

I seem to remember reading somewhere about another plug in an oilway that needs to be removed but don't know where it is or how to remove/replace it?

Does the oil pump drive bushing need to be replaced after hot tanking? If so where can I get the special tools to remove/replace it?

I knocked out the dist. bushing with a small socket from underneath. The new one goes right back in but you have to size it to the shaft once it's in. My machinist charged me 5 bucks to size it. The other plug is the diverter plug. I use an old pushrod and a long 1/4inch drive extension put down the oil sending hole and just knock it right out. I also measured the depth of how far it was in with set of calipers before knocking it out and put it back in at the measurement. Scroll down and look for post "smoked 360" it has a pic of where that plug is at.

thanks, that was just the info i needed on the plug. as for resizing the distributor bushing, what did you need to give the machinist - oil pump/driveshaft and distributor?

On my 340 and 273 block there is also a plug that is at the drivers side rear of the oil galley. Take that out too, you can get to it after you take the rear pip plug out of the block.

thanks, that was just the info i needed on the plug. as for resizing the distributor bushing, what did you need to give the machinist - oil pump/driveshaft and distributor?

I think there is a spec they go by on sizing it but it wouldn't hurt to take it there.

-
Back