Going to the track for the first time

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
Heading out to the track for the first time. Im not expecting to do terribly well since im on street tires and its my first time, but if I can run a low 13 and not break anything I will be happy. Any tips for someone on street tires? Should I drop pressure down from 36 psi? Burnout? No burnout? (I am driving 80 miles to the track). I see some people put tape on their fenders? Is that so that the debris from the tires don't stick to the fenders? Any other tips?

This is what I am taking...

69 Dart all steel except for hood, full interior
10:1 360
Supposedly ported X Heads but no idea on flow numbers
Edelbrock Dual Plane Intake
750cfm Vacuum Secondary Demon Carb
Holley Red Electric Fuel Pump
Comp Cams XE284
TTI Headers
2.5" exhaust all the way to the bumper with flowmasters
MSD Ignition

727 Torqueflite
11" OEM Converter
Trans Go TF2 Shift kit
3.55 Sure Grip
245/60/15 Cooper Cobra Tires

Wish me luck!

Depends on the street tires. Some find it better avoiding the water box. 1st pass ease out of the hole. get more aggressive with every pass to take your traction to the limit. Make sure your shifting at what your car likes the best... 6000 rpm's? If traction ends up not being a big deal, bring your half inch wrench for timing. Go up a 3 degrees and see, etc. etc.

I did better to go around the burn off box and just a little dry burnout with street tires.
I got some used slicks on Craigslist for $150, and I got two junkyard rims ($50) and cleaned them up.
The best and most bang for my buck of anything I've bought for the car.

I bought Comp T/A drag radial street tires. 300.00 bucks. I never smoked them in the water box. As soon as they turned in 1st, I shifted to 2nd and let off the brake. Never spun a lick, cut mid 1.8 60 ft. times. 12.9's almost 105 mph. Drove 1 hr. to the strip. Raced it as I drove it, 100 % street legal.

Like others said try to avoid the water. If the track is like mine though that is impossible so drive slowly through the water and spin them for a few seconds then roll out. Maybe get into it a little before the lights to make sure they aren't still wet. If something breaks then pull to the side instead of running it down the groove. Oh yes and go on yellow!

K so leave on last yellow, avoid water if possible, and start off with a soft launch and increase rpm until I find the happy spot. Anyone know if I need a locking dipstick? I am going to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma. I'm going up with tools, a holley jet kit, spring kit, pump cams, and distributor weights to hopefully try out. Right now I have the step up from the factory pink cam with the yellow spring and a silver and blue spring in the distributor. Helmet shows up tomorrow.

If still warm in Nor Cal,give the car time to cool between rounds. Have fun , & get used to the track. If you start tuning,do one adjustment at a time,log it down in a log or manual. This way,you don't do the same things twice.(And you don't have to do the same thing, twice. That can get, frustrating.

-
Back