Gold Membership fee now go up to $40.00?

-
Really not sure what all the hubbub is about as Gold Membership is not a requirement for site usage and the ability to pick the minds of some of the very knowledgeable members here is an invaluable asset and priceless in my opinion. The servers and site maintenance require both time and capitol to maintain and I for one would be the last to fault somebody for making a few bucks for their efforts.

If the fee was mandatory I would gladly pay the dues for some of the members that have responded with very beneficial answers to dilemmas I have encountered.

How many here are members of a car club? Pay dues? This is the same thing, only better in a lot of ways.

I let my membership expire for a few months but I had just let Collectors Guide expire too. I would much rather pay a few bucks here than Mopar Collectors Guide. I am on here quite a few hours a day, every day. When I get a magazine, I read it through and throw it on the stack. Rarely do I read them again. tmm

I just didn't have the extra 40 to re-up my membership, I had to buy a new hood hinge for the charger

$3.33 a month. .109589041 cents a day.

ole RRR, aka, Doug? was a CPA in a previous life ( for Ford motor co!) LOL

I admit bout every month I say, time for me to pay the Gold membership fee, but then its always, I have 30 days before I see a dime again, and do I want this or that or fork over $40.

compared to what you get from a mag subscription, this, to me, is a great deal. and I promise I will get the gold sooner or later.

I admit those of us on a fixed income, that doesn't have investments, savings account, and a dog that brings in a check, WE get pretty tired of seeing everything in life that we need/want get higher everytime we purchase!!???? I do.
O K i'll stop being a whinny girly ( no disrespect) guy!? LOL

Its 51 cnd and i wasnt going to renew but all i get is spam on here if not gold . this will be my last year i think everytime you turn around your getting nickle and dimed to death.everything keeps going up but my pay .

what kind of spam are you getting? i'm not a gold member. ( i will never pay for a car related forum. doesn't make sense to me.) and i don't get any spam here.. if you run a firefox or google chrome with an ad block and pop up blocker you shouldn't see any of the ads.

Just thought I would comment here a bit...

First, yes, it went from $35 to $40. First time I have ever increased it. (roughly about 10 years) Canada went up more but that's because of the exchange rates. $51 Canadian = $40US

Second. As someone else pointed out, there are a lot of expenses running this site. For example, I just spent $7,000 for a new server as well as several thousand a year to host it and maintain it.

But I ask you to also realize, running this site and the other sites is my full time job. Yes, between the ads and memberships, I make a profit, but I'd like to think I earn it. Your GM donations help a lot, and are appreciated.

Regardless, Gold memberships are completely voluntary. All the main content is available whether your a GM or not.

You guys, GM or not, are important to me and to the site.

Thanks and congrats on a successful site. I know how much work and $ it can take. I actually own mopars.com and at one time 10-15 years ago it was cruizing along pretty good. Then it got hacked, hacked again, server crashes, and it just wasn't worth the effort anymore for me, and now it just sits. Want to buy a URL? ;)

Thing for me is my car is on the probably never going to happen list. I recently got interested in another hobby....BBQing/smoking. Nothing like having a hobby that also feeds you. I have, or will have, paid subscriptions to those sites shortly. I can help support two of those sites for what is being asked here. And unlike here there is very little chest thumping going on...nobody chanting my Big Green Egg is better than your Weber. Couple that with I feel a bit more welcome there than I do here....I have had the thing in my signature line for Ernies quilting guild for just about a month now and have had exactly one response to it...Ray, I have not forgotten...

i just renewed mine through the benefit for stan and will again and again each time it expires. when i did my restoration on my car i could pay the membership for the next 40 years on what i made selling the un needed stuff off the parts car

yes i could sell them on ebay for a fee or Craigslist for free and hope a moper guy decided he wanted the parts but here it is full of A-body mopar guys always looking for parts. I did not even need to be ( and was not) a member when i sold all the parts and then realized after it was a good idea to join.

and the money I made selling the parts is actually less valuable to me than the info i get. yes there is some prima donna chest bumping and some grumpy people that only wanna deal with what they wanna deal with when they wanna deal. And many seem to forget they once were green and full of questions so over all i take it for what its worth and if ur a jackass i block you it plain and simple for me.

Craigslist for free and hope a moper guy decided he wanted the parts but here it is full of A-body mopar guys always looking for parts.

Its a lot safer on here because you can see who you are dealing with. Craigslist has become so unsafe and I used to respond to CL ads totally unaware that it wasn't that safe and recently in the Colorado news is case in point why its no longer safe. So I don't respond to ads anymore unless a friend or parents are willing to go with me.

On fabo you never know if one of these guys has a body in the trunk of their A-bodies or not but at least you can thumb through old posts and get a pretty good idea who it is. So far I have found nothing but great people on here to deal with. There are a few I wont buy from just because I don't like them, but its not a big deal because this site is big enough for everyone to co-exist. I also have my favorite sellers like Woody30, he is amazing, among some others.

Bottom line is this site is well worth the donation and the site is an eventuality for anyone building a legitimate car. Concordantly, there are some who will never think its worth anything and this bunch is probably not building a car and just loitering (like I do from time to time) which absolutely fine, no biggie .......the more the merrier I suppose.

Ergo, I will re-new as long as I am working on any Mopar car in my yard.

It's voluntary everyone.

vol·un·tar·y
ˈvälənˌterē/Submit
adjective
1. done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
"we are funded by voluntary contributions"

Synonyms: optional, discretionary, elective, noncompulsory, volitional; permissive
"attendance is voluntary"

I can completely understand why many of you can't afford it or choose not to donate. That's OK. But there's no reason to knock the price. It's voluntary.

I got out of the hobby for 25 years when I went to school, got married and raised my kids. I wouldn't have paid for it then because I didn't have the extra money.

I drove the used POS 1989 Toyota minivan and moved up to a used 1994 Caravan when the Toyota died for good. I drove a used Buick Skylark and a couple used Hondas. Whatever we could afford to haul the kids around in.

Now I can drive what I want to and it's my used '70 Swinger daily driver. I forgot more in that 25 years than I ever knew, besides the fact I had always owned B-bodies previously. This site has provided me with so much information that I could never have obtained in this Ford/Chevy part of the country. Before I put the badging back on my Swinger after paint, people were actually complementing me on my beautiful '65 Chevelle. Others think I put the "Swinger" badge on there as an off-color tribute to Monte Python,

"Is, uh,...Is your wife a goer, eh? Know whatahmean, know whatahmean, nudge nudge, know whatahmean, say no more?"

They look at me suspiciously when I try to explain that it was an actual model straight out of Detroit. "Never heard of it"

Anyway to my point. I could take advantage of all this for free. And that's OK. I did that for the first couple years myself. But now the kids are out of school and moved out and working on their own, I have my Dart and I can afford to help out Joey. This IS the best A-body site out there and I've gotten a real jump start from the members here relearning what I've forgotten over the years and teaching me what I never knew.

In this town I'd have to pay a mechanic to get the mopar information I get here. It's a bargain to me. A lot of the people on this site already have all the information in their heads or they have a network of mopar buddies in town or a phone call away to help. I don't have that luxury.

It you can afford to help Joey, then make the donation. If you can't or simply choose not to, that's OK too. Remember it's 100% voluntary. I just wouldn't ***** at the guy who is generous enough to offer all of this for free to us. As long as he's making a living, I'm happy because the site will remain.

Thanks to all of you who have helped me out and shared your knowledge and experiences with me. I can't express how much I appreciate it. -Rob J.

First, yes, it went from $35 to $40. First time I have ever increased it. (roughly about 10 years) Canada went up more but that's because of the exchange rates. $51 Canadian = $40US

Second. As someone else pointed out, there are a lot of expenses running this site. For example, I just spent $7,000 for a new server as well as several thousand a year to host it and maintain it.

But I ask you to also realize, running this site and the other sites is my full time job. Yes, between the ads and memberships, I make a profit, but I'd like to think I earn it. Your GM donations help a lot, and are appreciated.

Regardless, Gold memberships are completely voluntary. All the main content is available whether your a GM or not.

If us Canadians are so important to the site, we should get a break $51.00 is a little much for my pocketbook. If this hike goes through, I am afraid of what is going to happen to your profit margin.

Got a notification last night on the top of my page, that my Gold Membership is about to expire, in a few days.

So i clicked on the link, and found out that it's $40.00 to renew.

Don't remember what i paid the previous year, but did it go up?

Well, i paid it anyway, even though i have been bleeding money this month with car insurance, car registration, smog inspention fee, and other bills that came due this month.

And my social security automatic payment into my bank account got screwed up. :cry:

Does it ever end?[/quot

if more people could/would pitch in the price increase may not have come

If us Canadians are so important to the site, we should get a break $51.00 is a little much for my pocketbook.

Then I should get the "double secret" discount because I live near Chicago - same town as Joey....

If everyone thinks that they should get a discount, then it sort of defeats the purpose of the fee in the first place...

It should be the same for EVERYONE.

If the Canadians want to pay less, then the Canadian dollar should equal the American dollar... Or I'll pay in Canadian money so I get "the discount"... When you calculate the exchange rate, then we are paying the same. It doesn't seem right that you should get a discount because your dollar is worth less....

Should we switch to make gold members pay in gold??? Then we eliminate the exchange rate....

Yeah, it sucks that the price of membership has increased, but so has most of the things that we buy in the store in the last two years....

I have nothing against Canadians. I have a few Canadian friends. If you want a discount for FABO membership, then take Justin Beiber back. Until then be glad that we don't double it on account of you dumping him on us (US)....

if more people could/would pitch in the price increase may not have come

Don't look for that to happen. Just like when we have a benefit auction for somebody. It's always the same people who participate and the same people who ignore them.

Yet, on other parts of the forum, those same people who never participate in the benefit auctions can sure show off their multi blown, EFI, mega turbo, nitrous builds while sitting in their shop that's bigger than my house that's attached to their multi million dollar home.

I don't begrudge anybody for anything they work their *** of for, but you said a mouthful. "If more people would pitch in......."

No truer statement. Ever.

Maybe think about stepping up gold member benefits. If the price goes up, you usually get more for your money. As it is now, what are the benefits?

A bigger message allotment and we get to see boobs. I can empty my message box anytime and I have live boobs livin under the same roof. Not to mention, type in boobs in your web browser and see the endless array of **** you can get for free.

I don't come here for all that, so for me, it doesn't count as a gold member benefit. So that cuts it down to just the bigger message allotment. Pretty slim for 40 bucks a year if you ask me.

I feel the same about that damned politics forum too. It adds nothing positive to the site. I think it should be dumped. It's not even car related.

Not that I will not continue to support the site, because I will. IMO this has to be the damn best automotive site on the net, hands down and that's a big compliment because there are a buttload of them.

But you stop and think about the endless suggestions I have made myself and some of them pretty damned good. Shot down at every turn. That **** gets old bossman. I don't care if the software can do it or not. There's always a way.

I would love to see more gold members. Means the site will stick around longer. But gold members really aren't getting anything for their money that they cannot get free somewhere else. I have a free Juno email account. I rarely ever check the thing. Last time I emptied my inbox, I had over 3K messages. That's THREE THOUSAND. I don't know what the limit is, I think they do it by bandwidth, but I have never reached it.

My point is, other than supporting the site (which is reason enough for "me") what other benefits do gold members get? A fancy title under their avatar? Stickers if they ask? Boobs and a bigger message capacity. For 40 bucks?

Maybe some other more desirable gold member benefits could be considered? Tee shirt? Gold members cannot really do anything non gold members can do. They have no mod powers of any type. They have basically zero input about the site. Kinda gets old when ideas are immediately rejected instead of even thought about. So, what's the point?

If somebody steps up to support the site with their hard earned money, they should be treated like part of the team. I couldn't care less about having our own gold member section. The majority of it is not even car related. Again, useless on an automotive related site, IMO.

There are lots of ways to improve on this. Lots of people have some good ideas. But you have to listen first and you ain't doin it from what I've seen.

Maybe think about stepping up gold member benefits. If the price goes up, you usually get more for your money. As it is now, what are the benefits?

A bigger message allotment and we get to see boobs. I can empty my message box anytime and I have live boobs livin under the same roof. Not to mention, type in boobs in your web browser and see the endless array of **** you can get for free.

I don't come here for all that, so for me, it doesn't count as a gold member benefit. So that cuts it down to just the bigger message allotment. Pretty slim for 40 bucks a year if you ask me.

I feel the same about that damned politics forum too. It adds nothing positive to the site. I think it should be dumped. It's not even car related.

Not that I will not continue to support the site, because I will. IMO this has to be the damn best automotive site on the net, hands down and that's a big compliment because there are a buttload of them.

But you stop and think about the endless suggestions I have made myself and some of them pretty damned good. Shot down at every turn. That **** gets old bossman. I don't care if the software can do it or not. There's always a way.

I would love to see more gold members. Means the site will stick around longer. But gold members really aren't getting anything for their money that they cannot get free somewhere else. I have a free Juno email account. I rarely ever check the thing. Last time I emptied my inbox, I had over 3K messages. That's THREE THOUSAND. I don't know what the limit is, I think they do it by bandwidth, but I have never reached it.

My point is, other than supporting the site (which is reason enough for "me") what other benefits do gold members get? A fancy title under their avatar? Stickers if they ask? Boobs and a bigger message capacity. For 40 bucks?

Maybe some other more desirable gold member benefits could be considered? Tee shirt? Gold members cannot really do anything non gold members can do. They have no mod powers of any type. They have basically zero input about the site. Kinda gets old when ideas are immediately rejected instead of even thought about. So, what's the point?

If somebody steps up to support the site with their hard earned money, they should be treated like part of the team. I couldn't care less about having our own gold member section. The majority of it is not even car related. Again, useless on an automotive related site, IMO.

There are lots of ways to improve on this. Lots of people have some good ideas. But you have to listen first and you ain't doin it from what I've seen.

I can echo the above sentiments.

"Software can't do it"

Would have rather heard.....Hey, that's a good idea but the current software doesn't allow that but let me see if there's a way to tweak it or investigate other software. Hell, a lie sounds better then "can't do it".

I check this site every day "For Sale ltems" only, as far as buying from venders out of the U.S it is a waste of money and time for me , triple price buy the time i get it .I t is a very good and well managed site .

People, please.
5 bucks?
A lot of you are whining about 5 bucks?
Maybe just have 2 less beer a year, a pack of smokes, 2 less gallons of gas, one less pork chop, etc. etc. and the list goes on..........
And us Canadians always have to pay in U.S. dollars whether the exchange rate is at par or at 30%, same as buying parts etc. from the U.S.
There is a simple solution.
Don't go gold if it cramps your style or you disagree with the costs involved versus benefits.
Then shut up about it.
FWIW, i think the gold membership here is well worth it, i save more than that annually on information alone, and i feel that the site is well run.
That's why i support it by going gold.
I never use the other features that the gold members get anyway, so that's not an issue.
And if Beiber stays in the U.S., i would gladly pay double for gold membership! lol
Just my 2 cents,
Tom.

-
Back