Good engine swap options

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I'm probably the most indecisive person about this kinda thing, but after finding out that the original 318 in my dart has worn rings. I'm tossing around what to do.

Option one:
rebuild the 318 bore .30 over or something with new pistons, and 360 heads that I currently have. Add a 4 barrel intake new carb and a new camshaft, unsure about specs. I currently have all of these parts besides new pistons and rods.

Option 2:
Add a rebuilt 360, bore out to an undecided number, new pistons/rods and add the other parts that I currently have as stated above (heads with 1.6 and 2.02 valves, intake and carb) and a new camshaft.

Option 3:
Do a 440 swap, have a 440 New Yorker a guy is selling near me, complete drivetrain, rear end would have to be shortened though. And probably just rebuild it and add a new camshaft or something for now.

I'm leaning towards the 360, but I know the mounts are a bit different, how much would I have to modify them? I'm not really sure about specs, I'm just thinking off the top of my head.

I am probably,worse than you ,in the contemplating department. The 318 mights,will fit with washers. Old kimmer,4spd Drag top ,will chime in. Keep it local,it's cheaper....

have you ever considered a salvaged hemi swap? I debated it over my current 408 build. Went with the 408 because I thought it would be cheaper. In the end it really wasn't. I have dump a lot more money into my 408 than I intended to from the start. Sometimes like today when the car is still not on the road I think I should have just did the Hemi swap.

So, what year car are we talking about?
Shimming the 318 mounts on the block for the 360 is easy. It's only on the driver's side, passenger side is the same.
Where in Alberta are you?
P.M. me if you like, i have lots of parts.
Tom.

Open chambered 360 heads will kill compression on the 318 and 360 too for that matter.

440 requires swap mounts and headers to do it right, so an extra cost to factor plus the use of the correct trans. If yours is OK and the New Yorkers is toast, another cost to consider. Might also need a larger radiator to keep it cool.

So, whats the intended use/goal and budget? Any aftermarket or special items you have now like cams, Intakes, headers that would sway it one way or the other?

The car is a 73, and I didn't know it was that easy, I though it was alot more labour intensive. And cool, I'm in edmonton but if I'm ever near lethbridge Dartnut I'll P.M you if I need some parts.

And I know dano, that's kinda why I'm leaning towards a 360 swap, there is alot less parts that need to be bought. The intention of the car is a fun street/strip car with a good amount of power, mid to high 300s or more. I currently have an aluminum 4 barrel intake manifold, 650 holly, long tube headers, comp 256 cam (probably a bit light) and that's about it, so I will still have to buy more but I have a few small block parts.

Have you considered a j/y magnum swap? There are quite a few advantages to doing this. Now I know what you're thinking, "I don't want another wore out engine to replace the wore out engine I already have". Well, engine technology has come a long way since the 70's and engines do run longer. A 100k mile magnum is still in great shape with a LOT of life left in it, how many are reaching a quarter million miles or more these days? If you can find one with 50 or 60k miles, great, but don't discount the ones with some mileage on them, especially when they can be found all day for prices like this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/01-Durango-...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item53fb7ab17c

Starting to look a little better? Now on to the advantages of a magnum. First of all, it's equipped with a roller cam. You don't have to worry about wiping a cam due to crappy oil. Just buy a new cam, install it with the recommended valve springs, and you're good to go. You can even reuse the stock lifters. Granted the cam is a bit more expensive, but the benefits of a roller cam far exceed the costs.

Another benefit of the magnum is its better seal with improved gaskets. The valve covers are the biggest improvement imo. I've had the valve covers off my heads a dozen times and still use the same gaskets, no leaks. Try that with the old LA stuff.

As for bolting one in your car, it really is quite simple. All LA accessories will bolt up (timing chain cover, water pump, alternator, power steering, etc), the trans/converter will bolt right up with 1 minor adjustment to the stock magnum flexplate, and the motor mounts are the exact same as a LA 360. Your current headers will even bolt up to it. You'd just need a car oil pan (I'm not 100% sure if your stock one will fit, maybe someone can chime in) and a magnum specific intake (Crosswind, ~$175) or possibly drill the stock heads to accept the intake you already have. That depends on your skill level though. Also, nothing says you can't keep the magnum accessories and superior serpentine belt drive if you wanted to. Up to you unless you want to keep the look.

A stock magnum with a modest cam can be very close to 400 hp, maybe more, and will have a torque curve that an LA engine would be envious of due to the roller cam. Another one of those benefits I was talking about.

So what do you think? Sounds good right? If you want to do more research on it, check out http://www.magnumswap.com for more info. It's run by a member here and has some good info on it.

My 500th FABO post :cheers:

hmmm... you might be better off buying a turnkey engine ready to drop in with very little fuss/muss. converting swapping outside of LA will give you headaches of some sort or other.

MRL had a new build 340 listed on here a few days back, price was good and hp was great. you ***could build your own, but figure in $1000 for machine shop costs give or take, depending on how much you can do yourself. for instance, can you verify pushrod lenght, rocker clearances, main/rod bearing clearances, piston ring gap, balance the rotating assembly, etc. some people can, some can't. i'm not sure what category you fall under.

that's why i suggested getting something turnkey if you can. 318/340/360 are the easiest installs for you. swapping up to bigger/different stuff is cool, but there are lots of considerations. (expenses lol)

Hmm I didn't even consider a magnum swap, but wouldn't there be issues with the swap because of the computer? And they aren't carburated so that may cause problems. And I have considered a turnkey engine, would be easy, my only thing is I already have so many parts, I would hate to not use them. And I can do everything but machining simply because I don't have the right machinery. Put a 440 stroker together a few months ago, so it's not my first engine build.

I'm talking about running it carb'd, guess I should have made that more clear. You can run that same 650 cfm Holley you've already got. You just need to either buy a magnum specific carb intake, or drill the magnum heads for the LA intake you already have. As for the ignition side, use what you've already got. Just swap it from your 318 into the magnum, easy peasy.

My carb'd magnum.

photobucket-24524-1366079108372_zps774856b5.jpg

One more thing, if you plan on using your current mechanical fuel pump, you'll need the cam snout extender from Hughes. Otherwise you'll need an electric fuel pump.

http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...KQ==&level2=TWlzY2VsbGFuZW91cw==&partid=22194

-
Back