Got a new Truck (new to me)

-
4 Large Hub Wheels 15 x 6.5 wide > prepped and sealed, ready for Silver topcoat tomorrow.

20240323_183935.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Hauled the truck home last night...

View attachment 1716211808

Cooper Discoverer H/T tires, 235/75R15, on Ford 15" rims, 5.5" bolt circle. Tread looks good, but I didn't get a "Lincolns head" picture yet, sorry.

View attachment 1716211804

View attachment 1716211805

Wheels have a 3.5" center hub (actually it's just a hair larger)...

Only thing I can't get is the width, but I'm about 90% certain they're 7", based on what I'm finding online ('95 F150 4x4).

View attachment 1716211806

View attachment 1716211807

This comes up all the time on the Ford truck forum (using Dodge wheels on Fords, and vice-versa), so this isn't new to me.

Truck runs great, but it's rustier than I thought, so I'll be parting it out soon. I will need to find a set of cheap take-offs for it (if the wheels sell before the drivetrain), so I can drive it around the yard for potential driveline purchasers...

Shoot me a PM if think you'd be interested in the wheels, otherwise I know I can sell them pretty quickly on the Ford site, or even on CL.

Jim
As per @ProjectBazza measurements and pictures I was able to find 15" x 5.5 pattern x 8" wide aluminum rims with the much needed 3.5" large center hole to fit the Large Hubs of the '89 D100 Truck.

Thanks for the help, those dimensions are hard to find.

20240324_100829.jpg

Now to dismount the junk tires and get to polishing the Aluminum rims.

☆☆☆☆☆

Resized_20240325_130649_4991.jpeg

Pepp Boys peeled off the old heavy tires.

Ready to strip clearcoat and repolish.

☆☆☆☆☆

Ma Mopar is making me work for it.

20240326_185047.jpg

These Dodge Truck 5 on 5.5 x 15" wheels with the large 3.5" centers has been a real challenge to clearance and fit properly on the '89 D100 Truck.

Still had to open up these aluminum wheels with the 3.5" centers to fit the Dodge large hubs.

Had to do some custom machining to get these to fit the large hubs and axles of this '89 Dodge truck here.

Bought a new router to get the job done.

First job pays for the new tool, then you have it to use for the rest of your life.

Tools always a good investment.

☆☆☆☆☆

Started off first thing this morning, color coating the original (spare) steel wheels for the '89 truck, Silver Metallic.

20240326_122147.jpg

Got them now if I need them. Actually need one of them for the spare tire, tucking up under the rear.

☆☆☆☆☆

Guess it's called "Labor of Love".

20240328_194356.jpg

Still working on cleaning up theses 1980's, large pattern Aluminum Truck Wheels.

Cleaning the old back bead sealer off, minor corrosion areas, road tar on back side, stained areas, prepping finish for another topcoat of clearcoat.

Good thing they had the factory clear coat, to hold off the corrosive elements from over the last 40+ years, otherwise they would be a real mess.

☆☆☆☆☆

Final prepped and clear coated 2 of the aluminum rims today.

2 to go...

Aluminum rims are half the weight of those heavy 6.5" wide steels.

That's going to be a performance boost right there, less rotating mass to spin up.

20240329_173754.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Finished final prep and clear coating of the last 2 aluminum rims this morning.

Late afternoon, cleaned up rear brakes and hubs.

Screenshot_20240331-200907_Gallery.jpg

Cleaned up and painted rear drums.

Screenshot_20240331-200817_Gallery.jpg

Reassembled, getting the rears ready for the new (new to me) aluminum wheels and the new tires.

☆☆☆☆☆

Mounted up the new tires to the Polished Aluminum wheels today.

20240401_160415.jpg

Screenshot_20240401-180015_Gallery.jpg

Loosened up the front disc brakes so that it drivable, rotors look good.

Bunch of small details yet to get ready to drive. Do have headlights and turn signals.

Removed that annoying buzzer under the dash for when the key is left in, that's a pleasant relief.

☆☆☆☆☆

Making Progress

Plugged in the In the Tank Electric Fuel Pump harness, with the electric fuel pump disconnected. (engine > manual fuel pump now for the 4 barrel conversion).

Gas gauge continues to work with the onboard engine TBI components removed.

Here are some pictures of the In the Tank electric fuel pump assembly, minus the electrical connection to the electric fuel pump, so the manual pump on the engine does the work.

Not loading the pictures @Joeychgo

Gas Gauge 002.jpg

Next up > checked out drive shaft U-Joints and lubed. A little dry on grease after 40+ years but still good.

Greased up the front suspension first thing this morning. Pretty dry after sitting in the Alabama Sun for 6 years.

Lubed up good now, rolled the steering back and forth with the weight off the wheels to work the grease though the joints. Not all wore out.

20240404_125509.jpg

If you have any play in the steering, check the frame rail where the steering box bolts on. My 88 has a lot of play, and the frame rail is cracked. It has the add on diagonal brace, but still cracked. I'm gonna fix it when I down the truck to do the Magnum swap. It currently isn't driven other than yard driving to move firewood.

If you have any play in the steering, check the frame rail where the steering box bolts on. My 88 has a lot of play, and the frame rail is cracked. It has the add on diagonal brace, but still cracked. I'm gonna fix it when I down the truck to do the Magnum swap. It currently isn't driven other than yard driving to move firewood.

Yes, the '89 has that same add on diagonal Power Steering box mount brace, was glad to see that on there.

Upon closer inspection the end of the diagonal brace where it bolts to the core support area frame is cracked at the elongated mount hole and needs to be welded up to fix it.

Must be lots of torque there on the dodge frames from the power steering box.

Did a Power Steering upgrade on my last 1976 Truck from manual steering, that was a pleasure to drive with the PS as compared to the old Armstrong Manual Steer.

☆☆☆☆☆

One step at a time.

Setting up today to do the EGR manifold Block Off Plate, install the Edelbrock Mopar linkage bracket on the 4 bbl carb.

Have to rework a 2 bbl kickdown linkage to work with the Small Block to 904, new 4 barrel setup. And reposition the throttle cable holder at the same time, usually forward 1" and up some too to get the cable pull geometry in line.

20240406_092705.jpg

☆☆☆☆☆

Vans had the same issue with the power steering mounts, specially with larger tires. Had mine welded 3 times.

-
Back