Got a rare project

-
I’m working on the same car . Trying to find a 318 poly has been a challenge ‍♂️♂️
IMG_8185.jpeg

That is absolutely beautiful just as is on the outside, and would turn more heads I think, than if you refurbished the body & paint. Put that 440 in there, quiet exhaust, and you have a super sleeper.....WOW :)

The cars up until like 1962 had the extended crankshaft, both 318 Poly and big block-that is with the cast iron trans. The early 318 and early big block will both bolt up to the Poly trans with the correct bellhousing. The cast iron trans bolted up to the bellhousing just like a manual trans. I would probably use a drivetrain from a post '62 vehicle. You have to decide if you want to keep the original trans-it would make the swap easier. They had a completely different kickdown setup and the throttle rod pushed on the bottom of the throttle lever on the carburetor. Then the brake system, if power-used the weird bellows booster with the master cylinder mounted directly underneath the booster. The industrial 440's used that extended crankshaft, I have a nice one if you need it.. I helped a friend put a 392 Hemi in his 58 Plymouth. It bolted directly to the Poly 318 transmission. There are a couple You Tube videos of this car after it got sold a couple times if interested. I'll find them.. Then you have the tapered keyed rear axle. A 68-70 B body rear axle will fit about right. PM me for more info.

The cars up until like 1962 had the extended crankshaft, both 318 Poly and big block-that is with the cast iron trans. The early 318 and early big block will both bolt up to the Poly trans with the correct bellhousing. The cast iron trans bolted up to the bellhousing just like a manual trans. I would probably use a drivetrain from a post '62 vehicle. You have to decide if you want to keep the original trans-it would make the swap easier. They had a completely different kickdown setup and the throttle rod pushed on the bottom of the throttle lever on the carburetor. Then the brake system, if power-used the weird bellows booster with the master cylinder mounted directly underneath the booster. The industrial 440's used that extended crankshaft, I have a nice one if you need it.. I helped a friend put a 392 Hemi in his 58 Plymouth. It bolted directly to the Poly 318 transmission. There are a couple You Tube videos of this car after it got sold a couple times if interested. I'll find them.. Then you have the tapered keyed rear axle. A 68-70 B body rear axle will fit about right. PM me for more info.
Thanks for the info. I’m just pulling the engine and tranny out now . I will have the transmission freshened up and the engine overhauled I think . But a 440 does sound sweet

I’m working on the same car . Trying to find a 318 poly has been a challenge ‍♂️♂️
How far are you willing to go? There's one in White, Georgia for 300 bucks. Northeast of Atlanta.

Thanks for the info. I’m just pulling the engine and tranny out now . I will have the transmission freshened up and the engine overhauled I think . But a 440 does sound sweet
Finding somebody that is capable of tearing into one of those cast iron Torqueflights might not be easy. Good Luck and let us know how that goes.

I always had a soft spot for Fin Cars. A good source for information on them is www.forwardlook.net if you haven't already been there.

As far as the transmission goes, the 318 (small block) and 440 (Big Block) have different bellhousing bolt patterns so they don't interchange.

You’re going to run in to issues if you try to use the cast iron transmission with any 1962 or newer small or big block engines.. The crankshaft on the pre 62 engines hangs out further in the back than the 62 and later engines and the holes on the flange are not threaded (the torque convertor has stud that pass thru the crank flange and are held on with nuts on the engine side.

Like I said I have a soft spot for these cars. This is the old 57 Dodge Coronet I built several years ago. I was running a 69 440 with dual quads hooked to a 1965 727 Torqueflite (the last year for the cable operated transmission and only year with a slip yolk). I also ran a C body 9 ¼ rear end with a sure grip.

https://flic.kr/p/Yt67WZ]57 Dodge[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

And this is the 57 Plymouth I built and sold a couple of months ago. That one had a Dual Quad 354 HEMI, overdrive 4 speed and another 9 ¼” rear end with 4.10 gears. Also a fun car and always got attention.

https://flic.kr/p/Zuixo4]57 Plymouth[/url] by https://www.flickr.com/photos/153889607@N08/]M Patterson[/url], on Flickr

Anyway welcome and good luck with your project.

-
Back