Got my repop '69 Barracuda bumpers from Year One today...

-

butterball

Banned
Reaction score
Before going any further...I'm glad that there are companies like Year One who are making repro parts for our old cars. We'd be lost without them.

However...

I ordered new bumpers for my '69 Barracuda in March. The price was great, with a 20% off coupon they were only $230 each.

When they didn't arrive after a few weeks, I called and was told they were back-ordered until May 1st.

Calling in May, I was told they would be available either June 1st or July 1st, and that I could either cancel the order or leave it in place if I wanted to keep my "place in line".

They arrived today
boogie.gif
, and I tore open the box like a kid at Christmas. I unwrapped one and got a stock bumper from the garage for comparison, the width was perfect, the chrome finish was great, everything was measuring up nicely...

But they have holes for bumperettes...
flame.gif

There's only one part number available, as the front and rear bumpers on '67-'69 Barracudas are the same, so I guess all the new repop bumpers will have holes for bumperettes... and all the waiting and anticipation was for naught.

Back in the box they go, and I'm not only back to square 1 again, I'm running out of time to be ready for the Mopar Nats... again.

Are you avoiding rechromed ones? I bought my rechromes at Tri-City Plating and have been very happy with them.

Before going any further...I'm glad that there are companies like Year One who are making repro parts for our old cars. We'd be lost without them.

However...

I ordered new bumpers for my '69 Barracuda in March. The price was great, with a 20% off coupon they were only $230 each.

When they didn't arrive after a few weeks, I called and was told they were back-ordered until May 1st.

Calling in May, I was told they would be available either June 1st or July 1st, and that I could either cancel the order or leave it in place if I wanted to keep my "place in line".

They arrived today
boogie.gif
, and I tore open the box like a kid at Christmas. I unwrapped one and got a stock bumper from the garage for comparison, the width was perfect, the chrome finish was great, everything was measuring up nicely...

But they have holes for bumperettes...
flame.gif

There's only one part number available, as the front and rear bumpers on '67-'69 Barracudas are the same, so I guess all the new repop bumpers will have holes for bumperettes... and all the waiting and anticipation was for naught.

Back in the box they go, and I'm not only back to square 1 again, I'm running out of time to be ready for the Mopar Nats... again.

Picts please. I would like to see in detail.

Did they cost you more than $230 each? That's the main reason I bought the new ones. Re-chroming my bent, rusted old ones would have probably cost nearly twice as much.

did ya call around and get prices? i figure if ya have to pay a little more but get what ya want it would be worth it..

My understanding is Year One doesn't make any repro parts, or any parts, they just order them from China or similar.
When I tried to get a harness they gave me the same runaround about when it would be available, I would have to pay now to be on a list, in line, blah blah blah. I ended up going another route to end the perpetual bs.

These guys did my bumpers.
$310 each.
http://www.chromeatlanta.com/

I plugged the bumperette holes with bumper bolts, they even gave me new ones with the deal just for that.

I am thinking if someone who got bumpers without the bumperette holes they would be raising hell so they leave them in there because most guys just plug them if they decided to nix the bumperettes.

They actually did not look too bad without them.

6.jpg

We traded in old bumpers at Carlisle at bumperboyz. Got money off for trading in and nice chrome bumpers. I dont know if you go to the Carlisle chrysler show in July but if you do, maybe you should look into that.

Got mine in today as well. The extra holes don't really bother me that much, I'll just plug them and move on.

The quality seems pretty darn good considering they are made in Taiwan. The weight is just a bit less than my original.

Has anyone seen the bumpers with washers welded on the bottom? I think both of my rechromed bumpers have them and they came from 2 different places.

Got mine in today as well. The extra holes don't really bother me that much, I'll just plug them and move on.

The quality seems pretty darn good considering they are made in Taiwan. The weight is just a bit less than my original.

Yeah... I'm settling down now. Maybe they'll throw a couple of plugs my way for them. The holes are on the "underside" of the bumpers... after all, it isn't like my old heap is gonna be competing for Gold at the Nats... I think they'll do just fine.

I was pretty impressed with the rest of the bumpers, as well. Yes, they do seem a little lighter, but still plenty sturdy... and they're gonna look a WHOLE lot better than the old rusty ones!

I'm better now. 8) Thanks, guys!

We traded in old bumpers at Carlisle at bumperboyz. Got money off for trading in and nice chrome bumpers. I dont know if you go to the Carlisle chrysler show in July but if you do, maybe you should look into that.

I called Bumperboyz, at that time (March-April) they were not accepting '67-'69 Cuda cores in trade. They wanted $360 each, I think.

My front bumper was replaced at some point, the rear does not have bumperettes or the holes.

So why are the holes on the edges?

They are definitely not drilled by a do it yourself fool.

2903_3.jpg

If anyone cvomes across any pointed studs that will fill those holes let me know as that is what I want to replace my flush ones with for those two holes.

A neighbor of mine told me to check the motorcycle shops, they sell alot of that stuff.

I think anyone who pays todays prices for grilles or trunk trim would want the bumperettes to protect their investment(s).

I had my bumpers chromed at TriCity. They called and asked did I want my bumperettes holes filled and I told them yeah. I'm glad they called or I would have the holes myself.

-
Back