Grinding when shifting -sometimes-

-
Here's some pics of the adjuster rod

Attachments

• image.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 120
Maybe its an illusion but is that trans bolt bent or is the bell not seated flush w/the motor? Do I see washers shimmed between the starter and block?

Have to ask - what car? What year? Sml Blk?

Just by lookin at the lower end of the z-bar, its the wrong one. 68 Dart, small block, right?

No washer between starter and bell housing. No bent bolts, must be the shadowing causing that effect.

68 dart, 318.

Dang wrong zbar? How can you tell?

I would lean towards the pilot bushing binding or possibly a loose spring in the clutch disc catching on a flywheel bolt

I checked it out I'm pretty sure it's the right zbar. It doesn't have that bend in it the way the big block zbars do.

It looks to me like it is adjusted to tight. Try turning the adjuster nuts the other way. This will back the throw out bearing away from the pressure plate and should cause your clutch pedal to engage further off the floor.

No washer between starter and bell housing. No bent bolts, must be the shadowing causing that effect.

68 dart, 318.

Dang wrong zbar? How can you tell?

Why is there a hole drilled to the left of where the rod attaches to the lower z-bar? Mine doesn't have that hole and less material there aslo. Might be a 70 on up z-bar.

loosen up the side cover and push up on it hard while tightening the bolts so it sits as high as possible. just something else to try as this will cause problems if it sits to low. I will send you another interlock if yours is junk you pay shipping

I tried messing with the adjuster rod and the clutch pedal just kinda feel to the floor. So I looked at the clutch pedal and I noticed that I saw no spring up top, or quite honestly not too sure what I saw. My first time messing with an issue like this.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 101
I had some what of the same problem with my Dart. It was also very hard to speed shift. Kept missing a shift, found problem to be the pilot bushing had spun in the bore and cracked not letting the input shaft dissinguage.

Just a shot in the dark and something to think about.

69 340 dart

I will keep it in mind, thanks!

It is not the diaphragm style, I believe it lever style?

Here's a picture of the clutch set I bought.

Do I need the over center spring? What does it do?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 90
Okay will do, an issue I'm having and I'm not sure if this is related to the spring is without pretty much maxing out the adjuster rod I get no pedal tension. I moved the adjuster rod nut back about an inch and now the clutch just sits there on the floor, so of course I cent press it down. Is that because of no spring?

you need the spring for that setup like russ H said. push up on the side cover when it is loose and then tighten it back up. it will not move much 1/16 of inch maybe but it sounds like what is wrong. It causes 1st to bind or not downshift. try it your only out 10 min of your time lol.

-
Back