Guess my age! I mean mileage!!

-

Slantsix64

Reaction score
Engine is a 5.9 I just picked up, I was told, it had 50xxx miles on it lol, but I’m starting to think 150xxx more like it tell me what you guys think!

I still see the crosshatch on all cylinders, the valve seats don’t look sunk but I’m no expert, and cam bearing look great take a look!

IMG_2894.jpeg

IMG_2896.jpeg

IMG_2897.jpeg

IMG_2898.jpeg

IMG_2899.jpeg

Looking like a decent find, gonna check the actual compression ratio ?

The few I got around 150-170k still had hash marks, but the cam bearings were flaking.
If all your cam bearings look good, it's possible 50k.
What year block, does it have oil port to cylinder heads?
Get a magnifying glass and look between the valves for cracks or are you going with other heads?

Looking like a decent find, gonna check the actual compression ratio ?
Yeah, the pistons come up pretty high here’s a picture I’ll probably actually measure tomorrow, that’s just some gunk that landed on the piston from removing the head

IMG_2895.jpeg

The few I got around 150-170k still had hash marks, but the cam bearings were flaking.
If all your cam bearings look good, it's possible 50k.
What year block, does it have oil port to cylinder heads?
Get a magnifying glass and look between the valves for cracks or are you going with other heads?
I believe it’s a 1994 5.9, going with the stock heads, probably port them a bit and clean the valves, the actual valves have no real build up. I’ll try to snag a picture inside the ports. Although what ever my machinist recommends, I’m no expert but the valves don’t look sunken. Ultimately with the valves out I can see if there’s any crack, as of know I don’t see any.

Though I've seen good cross hatch at over 100K, that's some REAL good cross hatch. It might be 50K.

i'd say closer to 50 than 150. the one i just hairy eyeballed had a supposed 100 on it and while the bores looked purt near new, the cam bearings were corn flakes and the heads were worked.

If my engine had that amount of cross hatch after 150k, I would be veeeeeeeeeeeery happy.....

Update machine shop found the notorious crack on one head and not the other. Here’s what the valves looked like

IMG_2901.jpeg

Well well well…

They do seem to crack huh (I went through multiple pairs before giving up and buying new castings)

Let’s see them exhaust seats.

I wouldn't overly worry about it, as the valve guides are ok, port them, lap the valves and run it.

I like my valves to seal.

Trashed seats that can't be replaced because of cracked castings prevent that from happening. I tried the slap em together method, and compressed air blew straight past the exhaust valves.

I think the majority of magnums that haven't been rebuilt are majorly leaking compression through the exhaust valves.

I like my valves to seal.

Trashed seats that can't be replaced because of cracked castings prevent that from happening. I tried the slap em together method, and compressed air blew straight past the exhaust valves.

I think the majority of magnums that haven't been rebuilt are majorly leaking compression through the exhaust valves.
If his leaks after lapping then yes that would be a problem. But if not then port it and go.

Started some bowl work on the intake, man there was a good amount of improvement here’s some pictures.
I used a 1 1/8 socket as my reference. Shitty job but should help

IMG_2902.jpeg

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2905.jpeg

IMG_2906.jpeg

What did the upper shells of the rod bearings look like on disassembly? I’d bet by looking at what you’ve shown that’s a 50k magnum. Nice find.

What did the upper shells of the rod bearings look like on disassembly? I’d bet by looking at what you’ve shown that’s a 50k magnum. Nice find.
Hey! I haven’t disassembled anything on the bottom end, just changing springs porting and cam swap on it, but I might add a windage tray so I’ll have to remove a cap and I’ll post what it looks like!

Engine is a 5.9 I just picked up, I was told, it had 50xxx miles on it lol, but I’m starting to think 150xxx more like it tell me what you guys think!

I still see the crosshatch on all cylinders, the valve seats don’t look sunk but I’m no expert, and cam bearing look great take a look!

View attachment 1716292478

View attachment 1716292479

View attachment 1716292480

View attachment 1716292481

View attachment 1716292482
Valves look good. Two years ago I sold a 75' 360 with 53,000 miles on it that came out of my friend's camper in Florida. So, I say it is possible. I'm still waiting for the balance, $100.00.

Valves look good. Two years ago I sold a 75' 360 with 53,000 miles on it that came out of my friend's camper in Florida. So, I say it is possible. I'm still waiting for the balance, $100.00.
I’m still debating on just running the other cracked head and porting it. Lol I have cracked mag heads on my other engine, and it runs a 8.6 at 80 mph in the 1/8 lol , if the engine does have 50k I bought the cracks are too bad lol

-
Back