Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
So I had a helper all weekend, our boy dropped his son off for the long weekend. I had me a range Elf! We made target stands and affixed targets. He was whipped at end of every day. Him and the Mal pup were inseparable. They were buds. I think the Mal pup has the edge on energy but not by much! It was neck and neck!

View attachment 1716186242

View attachment 1716186243

View attachment 1716186244

A952_5_2000x.jpeg

My wife sent this to me. She really did!

You could get in trouble ...

TOP FIVE REASONS WHY
MEN PREFER
GUNS OVER WOMEN.

5- You can trade an old 44
for a new 22.

4- If you admire a friend's gun, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

3- A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

2- A gun doesn't ask
"Do these new grips make me look fat?"

1- You can buy a silencer for a guns.

Well, I'm not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I ended up grabbing a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 for my precision bolt gun. I didn't pay anywhere near this amount for it, even after a new mount and level it was considerably cheaper.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop MOAR C434 - Nightforceusa.com

I'm excited to get it and try it out, it has some nice features that'll come in handy as I am gonna be doing more long range shooting in various positions, bench, sitting, prone, tripod..

Now to go through my safe and see what I can sell to offset the cost!

I think I plan to move my VX3HD 4.5-14 onto my Wilson I posted earlier. It's a bit large in magnification for an AR, but I only plan to use it for target plinking at longer distances. Plus by switching, it gives me MOA turrets instead of the MIL turrets that are currently on it.

My wife sent this to me. She really did!

You could get in trouble ...

TOP FIVE REASONS WHY
MEN PREFER
GUNS OVER WOMEN.

5- You can trade an old 44
for a new 22.

4- If you admire a friend's gun, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

3- A gun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

2- A gun doesn't ask
"Do these new grips make me look fat?"

1- You can buy a silencer for a guns.
:lol: :lol::lol:

Well, I'm not sure if this was a good idea or not, but I ended up grabbing a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 for my precision bolt gun. I didn't pay anywhere near this amount for it, even after a new mount and level it was considerably cheaper.

Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 Zero Stop MOAR C434 - Nightforceusa.com

I'm excited to get it and try it out, it has some nice features that'll come in handy as I am gonna be doing more long range shooting in various positions, bench, sitting, prone, tripod..

Now to go through my safe and see what I can sell to offset the cost!

I think I plan to move my VX3HD 4.5-14 onto my Wilson I posted earlier. It's a bit large in magnification for an AR, but I only plan to use it for target plinking at longer distances. Plus by switching, it gives me MOA turrets instead of the MIL turrets that are currently on it.
I too have been gradually going away from Mil Dot and migrating towards MOA. It is a hard adjustment for me as I was born and raised on Mil Dot. But technology marches on. In my mind the conversion is much like going from a carb to fuel injection. I still maintain and utilize several MIL Scopes but all the ones I have purchased over the last several years are MOA. The software and apps are just far more readily available. You got yourself one swanky scope with your Nightforce! Don’t you dare put generic mounts on it trying to save money or we will skin you alive! Hah! Good mounts ain’t cheap, and cheap mounts ain’t good!

MOA just clicks in my head, MIL takes me a bit to figure out for some reason. I prefer MOA just due to experience with it.

I went with a Leupold Mark IMS mount for it. It's my go to mount, I grabbed a Holland level for it too.

MOA just clicks in my head, MIL takes me a bit to figure out for some reason. I prefer MOA just due to experience with it.

I went with a Leupold Mark IMS mount for it. It's my go to mount, I grabbed a Holland level for it too.
Nice!
There is just no substitute for quality! That thing is gonna look like a 55 gallon drum on top of your rifle! Hah! Zero stop is a very nice feature. One of my fundamental “go to“ tests for a new scope is an exercise I call taking a lap. Maintain same point of aim go right twenty clicks, take a shot. Then go down twenty clicks, take a shot. Then go left twenty clicks, take a shot. Then go up twenty clicks, take a shot and see where ya land. plus in my mind it breaks in the torrent. No idea if that is valid or not just something I have always done? May just be a Marine thing? Congrats again on your new scope!

I have done that before as well, not sure where I found out about that test. That one and along with the tall target test. Get a 3-4' tall piece of paper, draw a vertical line on it and hang it perfectly vertical. Put your zero and first shot at the bottom of the paper, then dial in a bunch of come up, shoot again, dial in more and shoot again, keep repeating till you hit the top of your target. Compare your impacts to the vertical line to see how level your scope really is.

Gracie’s first snow, she was hilarious. We are getting a grand total of two inches. Down here that is enough that they have already closed all the schools and news is telling everybody to stay off the roads. Having spent so many years North of Fargo ND it is funny to me. Hemi was not impressed at all. I used to shovel her pathways when snow was six ft deep for all winter!

IMG_4285.jpeg

IMG_4283.jpeg

Gracie’s first snow, she was hilarious. We are getting a grand total of two inches. Down here that is enough that they have already closed all the schools and news is telling everybody to stay off the roads. Having spent so many years North of Fargo ND it is funny to me. Hemi was not impressed at all. I used to shovel her pathways when snow was six ft deep for all winter!

View attachment 1716188010

View attachment 1716188011
Thank you for sharing this, and I agree, when I stayed in Hell and Noise (Illinois) to work the co op threw a late corn season 25 below and we had a good 2ft of snow on the ground, snowmobiles parking at bars, grocery stores and at there high school. We get a couple inches here and schools shut down, but the bars are packed :lol:
Gracie looks so good, I bet they get out in it together later for some romping.

Thank you for sharing this, and I agree, when I stayed in Hell and Noise (Illinois) to work the co op threw a late corn season 25 below and we had a good 2ft of snow on the ground, snowmobiles parking at bars, grocery stores and at there high school. We get a couple inches here and schools shut down, but the bars are packed :lol:
Gracie looks so good, I bet they get out in it together later for some romping.
She sure does not look like the worm and tick infested gaunt sack of bones we rescued a year ago. I remember looking at her hip bones protruding up out of her skin and all her ribs outlined laying on ground 1/2 froze wet and cold. I could not turn away. there should be a very special place for folks that do that to dogs. That is why we named her Grace. She has stolen my heart.

I want to do that dark, paneled look in my den... might do a prime and paint of the safe to blend it in as well
I have a folder filled with pix like the one you posted just for ideas and that “someday” lounge I may build. And for whatever reasons I must have a wall of books with a rolling ladder. And a wine cellar room, slate floor, stone walls with wrought iron candle holders etc. with round table rough sawn in center coated in epoxy! Frankly if I had my way I think I would live in a castle!

I have a folder filled with pix like the one you posted just for ideas and that “someday” lounge I may build. And for whatever reasons I must have a wall of books with a rolling ladder. And a wine cellar room, slate floor, stone walls with wrought iron candle holders etc. with round table rough sawn in center coated in epoxy! Frankly if I had my way I think I would live in a castle!

I'm thinking of using underlayment sheets and then trim to build out panels... dark stain... built in book shelves. I have a pair of leather wing chairs... need a credenza or built in for the smoker and humidor

I'm thinking of using underlayment sheets and then trim to build out panels... dark stain... built in book shelves. I have a pair of leather wing chairs... need a credenza or built in for the smoker and humidor
I really like the oval cutout in the ceiling with the windows above letting in the indirect light. Direct sunlight is harsh on both gun stocks and books! In our farm truck a rifle lays on dash for what have you. The stock on the up side facing window is almost white. The other side that lays on dash looks factory!

View attachment 1716188010

View attachment 1716188011
That is definitely a Dad, what the heck is that white stuff look.

I want to do that dark, paneled look in my den... might do a prime and paint of the safe to blend it in as well
There are two large doors in the family room of my house
They lead into the garage

(Ill snap a pic of them, if i remember, later)

I think i had lived in the house a year or so before i realized they were not stained wood at all, but in fact, steel doors

The paint is very well done, and once you are privy to the illusion, surprisingly simple

There are two large doors in the family room of my house
They lead into the garage

(Ill snap a pic of them, if i remember, later)

I think i had lived in the house a year or so before i realized they were not stained wood at all, but in fact, steel doors

The paint is very well done, and once you are privy to the illusion, surprisingly simple
Very cool

-
Back