Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
To gain entrance to the Instructors lounge ya gotta take your best shot! Apologies for Army shot glass it is a gift from our boy who only knows one thing AATW

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4262.jpeg

My Charlie is on his last Christmas. Bandit passed before last Christmas.

Circa 2010
EBCEA9F5-5D79-4C77-9FC9-46F94074E440.jpeg

A22DB13C-A43C-499C-8537-BB745E72B80A.jpeg

C7AA862B-1602-4872-A058-028EB6DCA7A3.jpeg

8BCE26FE-9550-4A0B-BE1F-ED1856EBF1E2.jpeg

His hips are not in service so we have to carry him outside to use the bathroom several times a day. He’s been on and off his death bed.

E7F8170C-36B0-45C7-8055-B671E0CD7048.jpeg

We were going to have him put to sleep and just couldn’t do it. He’ll have a few days where he can’t lift his own head but then all of a sudden he’ll want to walk around the yard. “Walk” means you have to carry his rear while he walks with his front. Not good for the back!
I know he’s not getting better but I’ll carry him for as long as he’s alive.

Here is a follow up article from maybe Sep. 2010
A180DDF0-987E-4BA3-9C79-6198EF61A207.jpeg

B7C64AE0-E54F-4AB2-95FB-DE174C248223.jpeg

We were going to have him put to sleep and just couldn’t do it. He’ll have a few days where he can’t lift his own head but then all of a sudden he’ll want to walk around the yard. “Walk” means you have to carry his rear while he walks with his front. Not good for the back!
I know he’s not getting better but I’ll carry him for as long as he’s alive.

Here is a follow up article from maybe Sep. 2010
View attachment 1716183017

View attachment 1716183018
You just East of the City? That is actually not far from our place. Less than four hours. Next time I am over that way I will ping ya.

I would be very interested to see how your new rifle does compared to the Wilson....... My long winded way of saying I got a beer says your Ruger holds its own against the Wilson!

So I had first round hits at 200, 300 and 500 with both the Ruger Precision in 308 and the Wilson Urban Super Sniper in 223 Wylde.

I was shooting Gold Medal Match 168gr 308 and just cheap 55 grain Federal American Eagle 556. I needed to sight that one in, and wanted to dump a bunch of rounds through it, since it's a newer build with only a few rounds through it, so I brought cheap ammo. Both ran flawless.

I went 18/20 with the Ruger at 500 on a 12" plate. My scope, a Leupold VX3 6.5-20, got fuzzy at 500 when I dialed out the parallax. It was crystal clear at the other distances. There was a 6" gong at 500 as well, I hit it 2 out of 4 tries, with the scope being fuzzy, I could barely see it, so I will blame the equipment for that one.

With the Wilson, I didn't keep track, but just about all shots at the 12" were hits, maybe 3 or 4 misses out of 40 rounds. Scope, also a VX3, 3-9 power was crystal clear at all distances. This one doesn't have an adjustable objective. As for the 6" gong, I only hit it a couple times out of 15-20 attempts. I assume that one was a combo of shooter and my scope not being zeroed perfectly. I dialed in my come up, but wasn't exactly sure what I needed. It was good enough for the 12", but not the 6" I guess.

Overall a great day at the range. I also shot my suppressed 300AAC SBR, and apparently the zero for that at 25 is the same at 100 with 220 grain ammo. The 110 grain hit 1" lower at 100. I also dialed in my 556 SBR that I just tossed together. As well as my homebuilt, hodge podge, 22AR.

Also rang a bunch of steel in the steel challenge action bays with my new M&P9c and Springfiled HiPower, which might be my new favorite handgun.

20231227_112434.jpg

So I had first round hits at 200, 300 and 500 with both the Ruger Precision in 308 and the Wilson Urban Super Sniper in 223 Wylde.

I was shooting Gold Medal Match 168gr 308 and just cheap 55 grain Federal American Eagle 556. I needed to sight that one in, and wanted to dump a bunch of rounds through it, since it's a newer build with only a few rounds through it, so I brought cheap ammo. Both ran flawless.

I went 18/20 with the Ruger at 500 on a 12" plate. My scope, a Leupold VX3 6.5-20, got fuzzy at 500 when I dialed out the parallax. It was crystal clear at the other distances. There was a 6" gong at 500 as well, I hit it 2 out of 4 tries, with the scope being fuzzy, I could barely see it, so I will blame the equipment for that one.

With the Wilson, I didn't keep track, but just about all shots at the 12" were hits, maybe 3 or 4 misses out of 40 rounds. Scope, also a VX3, 3-9 power was crystal clear at all distances. This one doesn't have an adjustable objective. As for the 6" gong, I only hit it a couple times out of 15-20 attempts. I assume that one was a combo of shooter and my scope not being zeroed perfectly. I dialed in my come up, but wasn't exactly sure what I needed. It was good enough for the 12", but not the 6" I guess.

Overall a great day at the range. I also shot my suppressed 300AAC SBR, and apparently the zero for that at 25 is the same at 100 with 220 grain ammo. The 110 grain hit 1" lower at 100. I also dialed in my 556 SBR that I just tossed together. As well as my homebuilt, hodge podge, 22AR.

Also rang a bunch of steel in the steel challenge action bays with my new M&P9c and Springfiled HiPower, which might be my new favorite handgun.

View attachment 1716183846
Wow just wow! That there is some good shooting. First round hits at those distances says you are dialed in pretty darn good! Clearly you are an accomplished shooter so I am likely telling you something you already know. On your fuzzy leupold at 500 once you dialed out parallax one of the typical root causes is the erector on the internals, often times you can go from fuzzy to clear by changing the magnification a couple of powers and leaving parallax alone. You don’t really give up much by changing 2X and the clarity really improves the chances for solid hits. Nothing worse than not being able to see what you are aiming at. Those are good scopes. Scope manufactures today are doing amazing stuff. Long gone are the choices of a 3x9 or you could have a 3x9!
Great shooting guy!

Thanks, I was pretty happy to qualify to shoot that distance in 1 shot at each range. I had thought about that after I left, backing down on the magnification to see what happens. I had it at 20x, which is way more than needed, my 3-9 was plenty at that range. I also thought maybe I should have tried dialing back on parallax till it was clear and see if it was good enough. I almost feel like 9x was better than 20x, probably because of the clarity. This was my first time shooting the rifle after changing the grip on it. It had a stock angled AR style grip, I changed to a near vertical one that is a lot thicker after my last time out. What a difference, it should come with this style grip.

I used the calculator on Federals website for come up. It said 11.9 MOA, and I ended up being right at 11. My buddy has a Remingron 700 with a bull barrel the same length as mine, shooting his 168 grain hand loads, he needed 13 moa, I was surprised there was that big of a difference.

Thanks, I was pretty happy to qualify to shoot that distance in 1 shot at each range. I had thought about that after I left, backing down on the magnification to see what happens. I had it at 20x, which is way more than needed, my 3-9 was plenty at that range. I also thought maybe I should have tried dialing back on parallax till it was clear and see if it was good enough. I almost feel like 9x was better than 20x, probably because of the clarity. This was my first time shooting the rifle after changing the grip on it. It had a stock angled AR style grip, I changed to a near vertical one that is a lot thicker after my last time out. What a difference, it should come with this style grip.

I used the calculator on Federals website for come up. It said 11.9 MOA, and I ended up being right at 11. My buddy has a Remingron 700 with a bull barrel the same length as mine, shooting his 168 grain hand loads, he needed 13 moa, I was surprised there was that big of a difference.
For sure, 20x at 500 is a bunch. I bet when you go back you dink around a bit at 15-17 I bet she is clear as a bell.

I'll give it a try, even if I have to go to 10 or 12x, that's plenty. That 6" target is small, I wanted the most zoom I could get! Lol.

The apps and calculators from Federal, Hornady etc are remarkably accurate. Not perfect, but darn sure get you on the paper. Amazing technology, now with the scopes and phones linked up via an app tied to your specific custom load. Last unknown distance sniper shoot I did, I was competing against the graduating class for LEO SWAT Sniper school. Some of us were invited to compete against them to create some stress if you will. They all were running scopes tied to tablets tied to phones tied to weather satellites tied to microwave ovens tied to automated liquor dispensers, etc etc. At the end of the day some chowder head has still got to put it all together and pull the trigger! Good times!

All of that technology is great, until it doesn't work. Nothing beats just getting out there and shooting a bunch and making a dope chart. My buddy has all the fancy stuff, chronographs, dopplar radars, kestral and doing his homework pays off, but when he is competing, he has a hand written dope chart to make on the fly adjustments. No time for technology. Lol

Agreed, 6" is tiny, can't see it with the naked eye. 9 power was just fine. I have a firedot reticle, but the firedot was bigger than the plate at that distance. I like just plain old fine duplex and dial in the adjustments. Anything else gets too cluttered for me. The Firedot is a nice to have, it's not something I need though.

Here's the Wilson I used as well. 18" barrel, 223 Wylde, 3-9 scope. Shoots very soft and very well

20231227_214626.jpg

All of that technology is great, until it doesn't work. Nothing beats just getting out there and shooting a bunch and making a dope chart. My buddy has all the fancy stuff, chronographs, dopplar radars, kestral and doing his homework pays off, but when he is competing, he has a hand written dope chart to make on the fly adjustments. No time for technology. Lol

Agreed, 6" is tiny, can't see it with the naked eye. 9 power was just fine. I have a firedot reticle, but the firedot was bigger than the plate at that distance. I like just plain old fine duplex and dial in the adjustments. Anything else gets too cluttered for me. The Firedot is a nice to have, it's not something I need though.

Here's the Wilson I used as well. 18" barrel, 223 Wylde, 3-9 scope. Shoots very soft and very well
I couldn't help but zoom in but my laptop monitor isn't that great. What's the details on that upper/lower. Specifically the big bolt release part. Is that an extra pad on the bolt catch or an ambi mag release? How about that grip?

Nice shooter.

I couldn't help but zoom in but my laptop monitor isn't that great. What's the details on that upper/lower. Specifically the big bolt release part. Is that an extra pad on the bolt catch or an ambi mag release? How about that grip?

Nice shooter.

Thanks, the rifle is more or less a Wilson Combat Urban Super Sniper. Every piece, other than the bollt catch and trigger are Wilson components, but I bought it as a builder kit a while ago. It's considerably cheaper if you put it together yourself.

This is the receiver set, I grabbed it during one of their sales for under $200 for everything.

RECEIVER & RAIL SET, AR-15, LOWER/UPPER, FORGED, CLOSED TRIGGER GUARD, 15" MLOK, BLACK ASH, GRAY BASE

The bolt catch is a Geissele Maritime Bolt Catch, I add them to all of my ARs. The grip is the Wilson one that comes with the rifle.

https://geissele.com/maritime-bolt-catch.html

It also has a Geiselle SSA-E trigger in it. They had a great sale on them a while ago and I bought one for each AR.

Last edited:
Ammo in, sight (HE510C-GR) is in! Waiting on a QD insert to mount further up the side of the stock (instead of bottom), and a MLOK to QD, so I can move the QD mount in front farther back...I think that'll let it carry better with the sling.

Then zero it in...whoo!!!

Question...the sight mounts straight to the pic rail, and I can't cowitness like this (learned the word and what it is, not an expert!), and not as good a cheek weld using the Holosun...what are my options, and any recommendations?

Thanks,
Steve
PXL_20231231_214750558.jpg

Ammo in, sight (HE510C-GR) is in! Waiting on a QD insert to mount further up the side of the stock (instead of bottom), and a MLOK to QD, so I can move the QD mount in front farther back...I think that'll let it carry better with the sling.

Then zero it in...whoo!!!

Question...the sight mounts straight to the pic rail, and I can't cowitness like this (learned the word and what it is, not an expert!), and not as good a cheek weld using the Holosun...what are my options, and any recommendations?

Thanks,
Steve
View attachment 1716185826
Well full disclosure I am not a defensive shotgun expert! Breaking your questions into two individual parts the cowitness problem is easily solved with a bit of practice using the optic while turned off. You get pretty darn good at “boxing” the target utilizing the optics frame outside silhouette. A couple of different methods but one should work for you. The cheek weld is a bit more of a problem. The easy solution is getting a stock that is more suited to your application And optic. The aftermarket stock versions will make you dizzy There are so many. The other option is modifying your cheek weld to more of a jaw/chin weld! I would strongly suggest running several hundred rounds thru it as is. No point in spending money unless you just need to.You might find that you really don’t have an issue at all as you adapt to a brand new firearm? Keep us posted for sure!

Will zero in and practice as is, try the jaw/chin weld...I actually noticed that's what was happening when I was holding it for fit, but didn't know that was a thing! Thanks for all your help and advice, and will do!

Happy New Year!
Steve

So I had a helper all weekend, our boy dropped his son off for the long weekend. I had me a range Elf! We made target stands and affixed targets. He was whipped at end of every day. Him and the Mal pup were inseparable. They were buds. I think the Mal pup has the edge on energy but not by much! It was neck and neck!

IMG_0959.jpeg

IMG_0961.jpeg

IMG_0964.jpeg

Well,
happy new year to all y’all! 100 pages! Wow, I did not see that coming! When I started this thread it was the result of observing so much knowledge on a AR thread. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would still be going strong. I thought sure, being about the 2A culture there would be no way to keep it from drifting into the NnP thread due to the passion we all have around the topic. My sincere thanks to you guys for staying true and keeping it technical and leaving politics for others. The thread evolved into dogs cats and knives. Pretty cool. Although I threaten my K9s daily with the threat of trading them for a goldfish! Again, just a quick note of thanks to you guys for the excellent input and expertise you all share. Lord knows I can’t begin to field all the different topics and questions. My channel of knowledge is pretty darn narrow! Who knows what the new year will bring? When I started this thread I did not even know what a 300 acc was, now I have built one. Our hobby is ever changing. Anyway, hats off to you guys! Have a great 2024 and keep your powder dry!
John

-
Back