Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
For sure. The local group I’m in is two Vietnam vets, a pastor and another retired guy. All have a passion to help kids learn and most are gun nuts like me, so I’m in good company.

Had the kids help me load some rounds for the .350 Legend last night. 140 grain solid copper hollow point. Wish I had a chronograph! Advertised at 2500 fps with a 20” barrel-mine is 16”. Should perform much better than the factory loaded stuff. Hopefully one of them gets to find out this weekend on a buck!

IMG_4074.jpeg

Had the kids help me load some rounds for the .350 Legend last night. 140 grain solid copper hollow point. Wish I had a chronograph! Advertised at 2500 fps with a 20” barrel-mine is 16”. Should perform much better than the factory loaded stuff. Hopefully one of them gets to find out this weekend on a buck!

View attachment 1716302280
Great minds think alike, I am also loading 350 legend this week. Preparing for alternate gun season! Opens here in a couple of weeks.

Garmins new Chrono is the cats pajamas. They control pricing with a death grip. They are 599/600 bucks no matter where you find them. Seriously the Garmin made my old chrono obsolete, it is amazing. I think my boy is going to adopt my old one. My opinion it has done for reloading what the bore snake did for cleaning!

@Sublime one are you shooting a bolt action .350 Legend? These bullets came from a place in Michigan called Bear Creek Ballistics. I also have some 129 grain solid copper hollow points from Hammer Bullets out west. One guy on there is getting 2700 fps out of an AR platform with no signs of excessive pressure. Said it flattens the deer!

@Sublime one are you shooting a bolt action .350 Legend? These bullets came from a place in Michigan called Bear Creek Ballistics. I also have some 129 grain solid copper hollow points from Hammer Bullets out west. One guy on there is getting 2700 fps out of an AR platform with no signs of excessive pressure. Said it flattens the deer!
Yes I am bolt action legend, our rules changed this year so that now any straight wall cartridge is legal to shoot during muzzle load season. But must be single fire, no semis allowed. I will check out Bear Creek but I think in actual fact I have ordered from them before. Think Cowboy Action Shooting. 2700 fps is hauling the mail in 350!

What do you guys think about these roller type knife sharpeners? Amazon.com I'm thinking for the wife who cant wield a honing steel.

Last edited:
Man, horrible news, this happened on the 4th and I just saw it.

RIP Paul Harrell

I was going to post it over the weekend but didn't fit in with the conversation at that time.
A class act - and I didn't find his post mortem request surprising having watched a fair number of his videos.
Still sad but greatful for having had the opportunity he had to share his thoughts, tips, and occassionally advice. ;)
While he explored questions, he also had great teaching technique.

Not sure of the power but I could easily see holes in targets at 100 yards with it.
That's quite decent then.
I bumped up to a mid-price spotting scope and it is fine for 0.3" holes in the black at 100 yards in most conditions, but expect it will be struggle at 200 and 300 yds. And I was hoping to also use it for bird watching occassionally but there some weird purple around tree branches. Anyway my point is I think you got something that would be difficult to surpass with spending big bucks.

I was going to post it over the weekend but didn't fit in with the conversation at that time.
A class act - and I didn't find his post mortem request surprising having watched a fair number of his videos.
Still sad but greatful for having had the opportunity he had to share his thoughts, tips, and occassionally advice. ;)
While he explored questions, he also had great teaching technique.
Well said, he was an all around good guy, my opinion.

What do you guys think about these roller type knife sharpeners? Amazon.com I'm thinking for the wife who cant wield a honing steel.
My opinion it may be a perfect match for your bride. Jodi is very similar with her blade sharpening skills. Honestly it just got easier for me to do them. My issue is sometimes (often) Jodi is not cognizant of what is underneath or behind the material she is cutting and uses my good Shun cooking knives. Then promptly wrecks a perfectly sharp blade! I am a knife snob in the kitchen!

Apologies for the terrible picture but the sun had me blinded then phone said it needed to cool off before use. But this was my 350 legend at fifty yards on sand bags. I had a beater scope in the safe and tossed it on. Will not adjust vertically, arghh. A fact I instantly remembered after this group. The group pictured has twenty clicks of vertical adjustment between each shot! Hah. Yep it did not go back in the safe, it went round file!

IMG_2320.jpeg

-
Back