Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
TP9SFx
Not the pistol's fault. As a matter of fact it has some interesting features and you can't argue with what you get for the price. But, I don't much like any of the newer guns with the "safe" triggers, regardless of manufacture. Doesn't mean they aren't good for someone else though.
I bought a TP9SF at the local pawn shop last year. looked new. Very impressed with the trigger and accuracy. So easy to shoot. I would buy another in a heartbeat. For the money (Yes, word is out, they will creep up in price) Canik is hard to beat.

There are bound to be some Mauser fans & experts here. So here goes, I picked up a nice, numbers matching 1916 Swedish Carl Gustaf M96 Mauser. I'll take it to a gunsmith to make sure it gets a clean bill of health before shooting it, but what ammo brand/load should I use? I don't want to over pressure it...and blow it up in my face. I'll ask the gunsmith the same question, but there might be some Mauser experts here?

Oh yeah, will be used mainly for target practice. Maybe feral pigs at a later date

Thank you.

There are bound to be some Mauser fans & experts here. So here goes, I picked up a nice, numbers matching 1916 Swedish Carl Gustaf M96 Mauser. I'll take it to a gunsmith to make sure it gets a clean bill of health before shooting it, but what ammo brand/load should I use? I don't want to over pressure it...and blow it up in my face. I'll ask the gunsmith the same question, but there might be some Mauser experts here?

Oh yeah, will be used mainly for target practice. Maybe feral pigs at a later date

Thank you.
All 6.5x55 commercial ammo should be loaded to the correct standard pressure. I’m not aware of any +P type ammo fir that caliber. I reload all my own rifle ammo so not a good source but these days there probably aren’t a lot of options actually available. Take what you can get.

Well we just got back from heading up to the Mecca (Camp Perry) We had a blast. Long drive but well worth it. I was there to help a couple of buddies. All business for me as I did not compete. It was a lot of fun not having the pressure of actually shooting. Just a great time!

IMG_4002.jpeg

IMG_0324.jpeg

IMG_0321.jpeg

IMG_4008.jpeg

That's awesome. I hope to make Perry next year. Simply too much going on this year. Need to check the schedule because I'd like to do the Garand matches, XTC highpower, and Long Range, but I think I'd need to be there for a month to do that...

That's awesome. I hope to make Perry next year. Simply too much going on this year. Need to check the schedule because I'd like to do the Garand matches, XTC highpower, and Long Range, but I think I'd need to be there for a month to do that...
The Garand matches are becoming very popular. I was scrounging for a field grade version for a buddy but had no luck. I am very jealous of the folks that live close to the facility. It is arguably the finest on earth of its kind. My wife had no idea, we walked up to the line and there were ninety some targets coming up out of the butts. She did think think however the time limits for a stage were a bit much tho! Hah!

The Garand matches are becoming very popular. I was scrounging for a field grade version for a buddy but had no luck. I am very jealous of the folks that live close to the facility. It is arguably the finest on earth of its kind. My wife had no idea, we walked up to the line and there were ninety some targets coming up out of the butts. She did think think however the time limits for a stage were a bit much tho! Hah!
Did you attend the M1 carbine match?
That's a little faster paced than the competitions designed for the bolt actions and garands

Last edited:
Here's a jump start for someone

View attachment 1716122578
At first glance that looks high as you can get a Dillion 550 B for about half that. But then you start looking at all the additional components and it adds up pretty quickly. Two sets of dies, primer warning gizmo, likely an auto prime feeder, vernier caliper, six box’s of boo lit’s, maybe a powder dispenser?

Here's a jump start for someone

View attachment 1716122578
Let’s break it down for grins and chuckles.
Pricing as of June 23 Dillion sales sheet, pix included
Basing cost estimate for dies and bullets on 9mm
Dillion loader 550Bl. 415.00
Two sets of Dillion dies at 125 per. equals 250
Flip Tray equals 33.00
Three primer pickup tubes at 11.00 per equals 33.00
Powder check system equals 99.00
Six box’s of what looks like 500 ct bullets,55 per equals 330.00
Chinese Caliper 35.00
Powder measure 129.00
Thats the best I can do with looking at the pix. Comes out to 1324.00 Dollars new retail.

IMG_0347.jpeg

IMG_0350.jpeg

IMG_0348.jpeg

Let’s break it down for grins and chuckles.
Pricing as of June 23 Dillion sales sheet, pix included
Basing cost estimate for dies and bullets on 9mm
Dillion loader 550Bl. 415.00
Two sets of Dillion dies at 125 per. equals 250
Flip Tray equals 33.00
Three primer pickup tubes at 11.00 per equals 33.00
Powder check system equals 99.00
Six box’s of what looks like 500 ct bullets,55 per equals 330.00
Chinese Caliper 35.00
Powder measure 129.00
Thats the best I can do with looking at the pix. Comes out to 1324.00 Dollars new retail.

View attachment 1716124616

View attachment 1716124617

View attachment 1716124618

It seemed like a pretty decent deal.. I just don't have the time or capacity to play around with reloading

I bought everything required to reload 9, 223, and 308. I had the top of the line Dillon progressive, tumbler, etc....about 20+ years ago. Surplus ammo was so cheap, I never opened the boxes. It sat in a closet for 2-3 years, and I traded it for more surplus ammo.

It seemed like a pretty decent deal.. I just don't have the time or capacity to play around with reloading
Reloading is a black hole like a boat! Next thing ya know you are casting your own bullets. I do it out of self defense as a result of shooting competitions. A few years back when ammo was both plentiful and reasonable my Dillions sat dormant for the most part as my time had more value. In todays landscape they are all fired back up and rocking! In essence the guy selling the 550BL has all the options to make it a dressed up 550. I have both 550s and 750s both are workhorses. While I like running the 750 due to speed the 550 is a bit more flexible and forgiving. When I teach reloading classes I always revert back to a single stage to teach the basics. Reloading is therapeutic for me. And there is something deeply satisfying about creating your own ammo.

Loading your own ammo will typically save quite a bit over the cost of the same loaded bullet in commercial form. BUT, you have to amortize the cost of the equipment and reused brass into the price over time. I don't care though. I also find it therapeutic, and being an engineer treat each load development as a DOE (Design of experiments), tweaking parameters to optimize the desired performance. Most of my long range ammo is loaded on a single stage and any high volume work gets developed on the single stage before it goes over to the progressive once I'm satisfied with it. Progressives are great, once they are dialed in.

Loading your own ammo will typically save quite a bit over the cost of the same loaded bullet in commercial form. BUT, you have to amortize the cost of the equipment and reused brass into the price over time. I don't care though. I also find it therapeutic, and being an engineer treat each load development as a DOE (Design of experiments), tweaking parameters to optimize the desired performance. Most of my long range ammo is loaded on a single stage and any high volume work gets developed on the single stage before it goes over to the progressive once I'm satisfied with it. Progressives are great, once they are dialed in.
Well said!
I too do any precision work or experimentation on my single stage. And also any “odd” (38-55/45-70 etc) calibers. For me, and just my opinion, that no reloading bench is complete without a single stage. I guess you could argue a guy that shoots USPSA or something and only reloads 9mm for one pistol could get away with just a progressive? But man there is just no better day than having a box of ammo comprised of small runs of incrementally changing powder charge or bullet weight and spending the day shooting them all and analyzing the data to decide on a recipe. That is just plain fun! with All the recent technology advancement from manufacturers there has been a resurgence in precision rifle shooting across the board. It is regaining in popularity. that sport begs for creativity from the shooter to establish a load that works best for their individual rifle.

Not trying to be a cheapskate, well maybe I am. Is there a reasonable priced red dot scope out there for my Taurus TX22 micro. And if so is the option there to still shoot open sites. Thanks.

Not trying to be a cheapskate, well maybe I am. Is there a reasonable priced red dot scope out there for my Taurus TX22 micro. And if so is the option there to still shoot open sites. Thanks.
John,
the landscape for red dot optics has never been better. You have many choices that are “adequate“ for your Taurus. Many are under 200 dollars. 200 is kind of a good threshold for median red dot. The quality really increases from there. But for your Taurus several of the less than 200 optics would likely suffice just fine. Most all the red dots today are manufactured with co witness iron sights in mind. By same token most of the manufacturers today are making taller irons to accomplish just exactly that. Getting your Taurus to co witness is not a problem at all. I would Google the Taurus forums and see what folks are using.

John,
the landscape for red dot optics has never been better. You have many choices that are “adequate“ for your Taurus. Many are under 200 dollars. 200 is kind of a good threshold for median red dot. The quality really increases from there. But for your Taurus several of the less than 200 optics would likely suffice just fine. Most all the red dots today are manufactured with co witness iron sights in mind. By same token most of the manufacturers today are making taller irons to accomplish just exactly that. Getting your Taurus to co witness is not a problem at all. I would Google the Taurus forums and see what folks are using.

Thank you sir. That’s the price range I was looking for. Not 350 plus dollars.

Thank you sir. That’s the price range I was looking for. Not 350 plus dollars.
No problem, just do some research on the Taurus and see what foot print it is milled for, that will typically dictate your choices. And if your choice is not compatible there is a myriad of companies making adaptor plates. Just recognize the plates make your optic sit up a bit higher which increases your mechanical offset. Not the end of the world but be cognizant of it.

-
Back