Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Thanks. Sorry it took so long to reply but I have a kidney stone that decided it wanted to start moving yesterday. Then last night froze all night, haven’t eaten in 48 hours so I went to a Med Express and they think I have Lyme disease. I start meds tomorrow as they were closed for Mother’s Day.
Dang man, that sucks. I got bit by two deer ticks when I was in Bryn Athyn back in '91-'92. I haven't had any issues, thankfully. Get those meds and take them, they've come along way in thirty years. I had kidney stones briefly, caused by medication ironically. I wouldn't wish that in anyone, I hope they are short lived for your sake!

Thanks. Sorry it took so long to reply but I have a kidney stone that decided it wanted to start moving yesterday. Then last night froze all night, haven’t eaten in 48 hours so I went to a Med Express and they think I have Lyme disease. I start meds tomorrow as they were closed for Mother’s Day.
Ok that just sucks. I hope you get squared away and healed up so that you don’t miss any racing. Matt is rocking it!

So I just got home from a very difficult red dot instructor class. While I am already certified as a red dot instructor I like to continue my own training and education to stay current if you will. I think it makes me a better instructor and also keeps me relevant with current trends etc. The class was comprised of 100% seasoned instructors. It was very difficult, we are talking over 50% of the class were SWAT instructors for their local PDs and a Border Agent plus a lead Instructor for a Federal LEO training Center. Only three of us passed. Luckily I was one of the three! You guys get bored here is two of the drills we had to pass to graduate. All you need is a standard B8 target and you can try them at home. There were several other drills that were nasty but these two were the killers.

Drill one: From the holster, engage a B8 target at ten yards with ten shots in less than ten seconds. You must score at least a 90. Note, yours truly shot the fastest time in the class at a 6.013 scoring a 95-3x Foot note: the ten ring on a B8 is just over three inches in diameter!

Drill two: From the holster engage a B8 target at 25 yards with ten rounds slow fire, you must score at least a 80.

This drill (2) was the failure point for the majority of the class. It is much more difficult than folks think. 25 yards is a looooong way when you are trying to get in the black!
Try these at home and see how ya do! We would love to hear some feedback on what you guys think of the drills. For that matter I would love to hear what some of you guys favorite training drills are, rifle or pistol!

So I just got home from a very difficult red dot instructor class. While I am already certified as a red dot instructor I like to continue my own training and education to stay current if you will. I think it makes me a better instructor and also keeps me relevant with current trends etc. The class was comprised of 100% seasoned instructors. It was very difficult, we are talking over 50% of the class were SWAT instructors for their local PDs and a Border Agent plus a lead Instructor for a Federal LEO training Center. Only three of us passed. Luckily I was one of the three! You guys get bored here is two of the drills we had to pass to graduate. All you need is a standard B8 target and you can try them at home. There were several other drills that were nasty but these two were the killers.

Drill one: From the holster, engage a B8 target at ten yards with ten shots in less than ten seconds. You must score at least a 90. Note, yours truly shot the fastest time in the class at a 6.013 scoring a 95-3x Foot note: the ten ring on a B8 is just over three inches in diameter!

Drill two: From the holster engage a B8 target at 25 yards with ten rounds slow fire, you must score at least a 80.

This drill (2) was the failure point for the majority of the class. It is much more difficult than folks think. 25 yards is a looooong way when you are trying to get in the black!
Try these at home and see how ya do! We would love to hear some feedback on what you guys think of the drills. For that matter I would love to hear what some of you guys favorite training drills are, rifle or pistol!

Very nice!!! What caliber and gun were you shooting and was their a requirement on your choice.

Very nice!!! What caliber and gun were you shooting and was their a requirement on your choice.
I shoot a SIG 320 topped with a Delta Point Pro in 9mm. There is no stipulation for equipment other than striker fired with red dot optic. There were only three manufacturers represented at the class. Keep in mind these are all duty rated pistols not what I would call “enthusiasts “ pistols. SIG, Glock and one SnW the Smith pistol broke down on day two. Keep in mind this is basically just over 1,000 rounds in a compressed time, at a very high rate of fire, in essence maintaining 1/2 second splits for the two days. In and out of holster a million times. It is brutal on equipment. Magazines dumped in mud and rock, brushed off or sprayed with water bottle and put right back in the pistol to go again. This kind of training most folks never experience or can imagine. It is very hard on your body mind and equipment. I was exhausted mentally and physically. Imagine if you will explaining to a guy that races his car once or twice a year from stoplight to stoplight on the street the brutality of a three day weekend high dollar payout race weekend. It is like that!

I shoot a SIG 320 topped with a Delta Point Pro in 9mm. There is no stipulation for equipment other than striker fired with red dot optic. There were only three manufacturers represented at the class. Keep in mind these are all duty rated pistols not what I would call “enthusiasts “ pistols. SIG, Glock and one SnW the Smith pistol broke down on day two. Keep in mind this is basically just over 1,000 rounds in a compressed time, at a very high rate of fire, in essence maintaining 1/2 second splits for the two days. In and out of holster a million times. It is brutal on equipment. Magazines dumped in mud and rock, brushed off or sprayed with water bottle and put right back in the pistol to go again. This kind of training most folks never experience or can imagine. It is very hard on your body mind and equipment. I was exhausted mentally and physically. Imagine if you will explaining to a guy that races his car once or twice a year from stoplight to stoplight on the street the brutality of a three day weekend high dollar payout race weekend. It is like that!

If all hell breaks out I want you on my team. Lol

Well today I am down in Alabama at an instructors event (again) with USCCA. It is pouring down rain and will continue to do so all day. It is that time of year in the South. There is also a SEC baseball tournament in town this week which I was not aware of. Those who hesitate are lost somebody once said. I waited till last minute to book the room. As a result I got bottom of barrel. Room is super small and place reeks of ganja, curry and incense. It is an assault on your olfactory receptors. I am contemplating sleeping in car. I got plenty of food and water, and I darn sure got some experience smelling like wet dog for a few days. We will see.

IMG_3947.jpeg

IMG_0048.jpeg

When I said it was raining I meant serious cats and dogs rain. We got absolutely soaked on the range yesterday. A lot of folks making fun of my big cowboy hat early but by the end of the day most wished they had one! It was worth its weight in gold for keeping the rain off of my glasses!

IMG_0057.jpeg

IMG_0056.jpeg

Well all I have to say is ya can’t buy points. You can see the blue chassis rifle pictured above and the Red one in the attached picture. I shot against all Manner of rail guns, race guns, chassis guns or skeletal guns this week. Never bet against an old fat guy wearing a cowboy hat shooting a bone stock DD! Mine is first one in the row with ear pro on top. Smoked their butts! It was a good week!

IMG_0063.jpeg

I remember reading an American Rifle article that talked about the decommissioning of thousands, maybe millions of m-1s.

US Military disposed of its surplus in a number of its ways. IIRC there were around 4.5 million made, or maybe its 4.5 mil through the end of WW2 production.
After WW2 a lot of arms were destroyed rather than brought back. But as these remained the main service rifles until the M14, a lot were brought back, rebuilt and put in storage. Springfield, H&R, and IHC made new rifles in the 1950s.
They showed up on the US civilian market largely through the DCM until 1996 when the program was shut down. It was replaced by the non-governmental CMP which currently has two 'grades' for sale. The cheaper grades probably are best considered gunsmith specials, ie they probably need work.

I haven't looked into it, but there probably are also a significant number that were sold by armories of other nations to importers.

I maybe a little off on the $$ amount, but I recall seeing the M-1 Carbines in the Montgomery Wards Christmas catalog for like $39.95. :lol:

You can get a Field grade M1 from the CMP for $700 and though a mixture of various generations of parts, it will be 100% safe and functional, but may not be the most accurate rifle on the line. Higher grades are available with new stocks and barrels. Occasionaly they auction off nice examples of desirable ones, or at least they did.

No field grade currently. Only Rack and Expert right now.
I looked at a Springfield M1 and Remington '03 with USMC sights that had been Rack grade plus. Both had new parts and the '03 needed a new follower otherwise it was a good shooter. (The USMC front sight is a full hood with a wide blade and a slightly larger rear aperture).

Unconventional. You memory may be accurate.
Those catalog company carbines may have been GI or may have been put together from surplus parts and other creative salvage methods and manufacturing by any of the larger commercial producers in the 1960s.

The iron sights of the M1 carbine are essentially the same as the Garand. My understanding is basically the same sight picture used perhaps as early as the M1917 (American Enfield), the 03A3 (but no windage adjustment), and continued through at least the M16A2. I've used the '03 with original front sight and for older eyes the narrow front blade and position of the rear sight make it a bit tricky without the right glasses.

I looked at a Springfield M1 and Remington '03 with USMC sights that had been Rack grade plus. Both had new parts and the '03 needed a new follower otherwise it was a good shooter. (The USMC front sight is a full hood with a wide blade and a slightly larger rear aperture).

[/URL]
Those catalog company carbines may have been GI or may have been put together from surplus parts and other creative salvage methods and manufacturing by any of the larger commercial producers in the 1960s.
[/URL]

The iron sights of the M1 carbine are essentially the same as the Garand. My understanding is basically the same sight picture used perhaps as early as the M1917 (American Enfield), the 03A3 (but no windage adjustment), and continued through at least the M16A2. I've used the '03 with original front sight and for older eyes the narrow front blade and position of the rear sight make it a bit tricky without the right glasses.
Getting old is a B**** regarding eyesight. I'm not looking forward to the narrow front blade on my 03A3 this summer, so I may see about the Marine version. I need a new script for my shooting glasses but I've got two sets of Knobloch's, a Ranger, and Decott hy-wyd so it gets expensive to do them all.

I got a Korean vintage M1, thru the old DCM lottery system. I was very fortunate to have received a primo shooting example. There was a tag in the buttstock that said "Michigan Shooting Team". I still have it, and take it out once a year just to know what a "man's rifle" feels like. Hard to believe all those smaller stature guys from the WWII and Korea era, shot those things for years. Great rifle!!!
15192585_1388985111113524_7884745013011848538_n.jpg

000_0824.JPG

I always thought that I shot it pretty well. However, every time I put it in the hands of an old vet...they showed me what was what.

Last edited:

[/URL]
[/URL]

You have got to get you a Garand Brother!

Well, been a few days. Got a few irons in the fire, but had to drop in and share a new addition to the family.
My beloved Dutch Shepherd of 14 years had passed at the beginning of the scamdemic in 2020. We just didn't (or at least I) have it in us to adopt another dog until a few weeks ago we ran across this fine young gent who needed a new home.
I offer for your perusal,
King.
20230603_155748.jpg

Resized_20230528_113454.jpeg

20230603_063512.jpg

Well, been a few days. Got a few irons in the fire, but had to drop in and share a new addition to the family.
My beloved Dutch Shepherd of 14 years had passed at the beginning of the scamdemic in 2020. We just didn't (or at least I) have it in us to adopt another dog until a few weeks ago we ran across this fine young gent who needed a new home.
I offer for your perusal,
King.
View attachment 1716097904

View attachment 1716097905

View attachment 1716097906
Man that is a great looking hound, he looks like some serious mischief right there. Our recent addition (rescued Mal pup) helped me service tractor right in the middle of hay season. She swiped oil cap! I had to improvise with some cobbled up PVC! That evening she dropped it back in middle of driveway! Congrats on the new addition to the family! On serious note I applaud your courage for having the strength to replace a long time companion. Every time we lose one I swear I will not replace it so as not to experience that pain and loss again. But then much like you just experienced, yet another one needs a bit of help and I cannot say no. Just some absolutely great coloring on your new pup. Beautiful and clearly gonna be a handful for awhile! Spoil him rotten but make him work for it!

Man that is a great looking hound, he looks like some serious mischief right there. Our recent addition (rescued Mal pup) helped me service tractor right in the middle of hay season. She swiped oil cap! I had to improvise with some cobbled up PVC! That evening she dropped it back in middle of driveway! Congrats on the new addition to the family! On serious note I applaud your courage for having the strength to replace a long time companion. Every time we lose one I swear I will not replace it so as not to experience that pain and loss again. But then much like you just experienced, yet another one needs a bit of help and I cannot say no. Just some absolutely great coloring on your new pup. Beautiful and clearly gonna be a handful for awhile! Spoil him rotten but make him work for it!
Oh, he'll get spoiled for sure. I had my Roo for fourteen years and was completely devastated when she stroked out and I had to put her down. King is turning out to be quite a clown, too. The folks we got him from did some excellent training, so we just have to build on it.
We were worried that Kayda, our GSD, wouldn't take to him, but after doing a couple of neutral area meets, they get along great.
I'll try to add in the video where everyone involved knew it was a done deal.

Oh, he'll get spoiled for sure. I had my Roo for fourteen years and was completely devastated when she stroked out and I had to put her down. King is turning out to be quite a clown, too. The folks we got him from did some excellent training, so we just have to build on it.
We were worried that Kayda, our GSD, wouldn't take to him, but after doing a couple of neutral area meets, they get along great.
I'll try to add in the video where everyone involved knew it was a done deal.
We faced the same issue introducing the Mal pup to our aging Eastern European GSD. For the most part they get along very well now, but it was precarious for a bit. The Pup is relentless with her pestering the big dog who is literally twice her weight and size. The pup is just a shade under sixty pounds and I doubt she will get any bigger. The play got a bit intense the other day and the pup turned on the “Mal switch” and tagged Hemi about three times on both sides of the head before Hemi even knew what was going on! The pup is deadly fast.

IMG_9724D.jpeg

-
Back