Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Brother, long time no talk, need to remedy that. I think the home defense stuff is a great idea. I think so many have the wrong idea about defending a home. Occupants, layout etc throw so many different things in the mix. Lights, like a laser, work both ways.
Woo Hoo glad you are alive and sucking air! Hope you get to stay home more this year! Call anytime or better yet swing by for a bourbon!

I dunno, and don't feel I'm in a position to comment directly on a SD class specifically involving two or more persons working with firearms.

FWIW
Seems to me that you see in both hunting, SD, and target shooting maybe less so, husband-wife, Father-dau. Father-son, there is noticible participation. You probably have some sense of how common or not that is from the places and classes you've particpated in or run.

Teamwork and interaction with other good guys/gals in SD situation or even a potential SD situation is really important.

Two or more people working together is a huge force multiplier. That alone might be enough to resolve the problem in some situations.

Such thinking runs against the perceptions and beliefs of big swaths of the American public, and maybe more so amongst gun owners. We've become a very individualistic focused society. No need to go into the possible reasons. It's just a reality that might play into the interest (or lack of) and experience in working together. Those with military experience and some team sports probably being the major exceptions.
Utilizing all your resources (Husband and Wife) is a force multiplier for sure. I think you make a very intriguing point looking at it from an angle I had not even considered? Being both military and a long time Team sports participant my brain is always on a Team default setting. Thanks @Mattax While home defense seems to traditionally fall on the male the women in our family are all shooters and participants in shooting activities, the majority of our family is either military or LEO so I guess we have become complacent in our thought process, again thinking that is the norm since it is what we are surrounded by.

So I just got done with the “Heckle Bench” There is just no substitute for good heckling by the spectators when you are trying to break the shot! Nothing is sacred! Renting space in another shooters head is priceless! Admittedly our family has a twisted sense of humor! Pretty sure @WV64Signet may be a cousin?

IMG_3994.jpeg

So I just got done with the “Heckle Bench” There is just no substitute for good heckling by the spectators when you are trying to break the shot! Nothing is sacred! Renting space in another shooters head is priceless! Admittedly our family has a twisted sense of humor! Pretty sure @WV64Signet may be a cousin?

View attachment 1716105459

If you can't hold the target while I hit you in the head with pebbles, that's your problem.

:thumbsup:

Cleaning a few guns during the rain on Sunday and found what I think is the original owners manual for my dad’s Remington 722! How cool is that??

D863AEB0-8D53-4F2C-8110-152B27235481.jpeg

I am spending the day preparing for a long teaching session Friday and Saturday about three hours away from here. We are training a school security team. Certainly sad that is even an aspect of our training. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would be teaching room clearing tactics to school teachers. But here we are.
First man in is never wrong!

the real question is "is that considered loaded or not?" ?
The hilarious, but true answer is, it depends on the State! In several States having a magazine in a semi automatic, chamber MT is considered “unloaded” but quoting Paul Harvey here for the rest of the story. In same State a revolver carrying one shy of a full load and hammer resting on a MT cylinder is considered loaded. You can’t make this up!

The hilarious, but true answer is, it depends on the State! In several States having a magazine in a semi automatic, chamber MT is considered “unloaded” but quoting Paul Harvey here for the rest of the story. In same State a revolver carrying one shy of a full load and hammer resting on a MT cylinder is considered loaded. You can’t make this up!
See, I would consider a gun that when you pull the trigger and the safety is off, if it goes boom, it is loaded
If it doesn't not go boom, it is unloaded

Pure logic right there

The only catch .22 would be a revolver which rotates the cylinder when you pull the trigger
You can have one empty chamber in that cylinder which would be next in line
Pull the trigger once, and no boom
Pull it a second time, boom
So I guess that would be a self loading gun

In Pennsy, that's loaded if its your vehicle, and that's a no-no for any long gun unless you're an LE.
Handgun with permit - that's your business (and your responsibility).

So one of the classes we offer is NRA Metallic Cartridge Reloading. I am a NRA Certified Instructor for it. That class has all but died as a result of you tube. Students have Zero interest in paying for the class. While you tube will certainly show you how to do it there are a lot of nuances to loading your own. I strongly suggest to the folks that show interest to pair up with a buddy who has experience before you just jump in. Anyway, as a result I decided to break down my “road show” reloading bench. It allowed me to travel anywhere, setup, and have 1/2 the class reloading straight wall, and the other half loading tapered, then swap. Typically I did 9mm and 223. It was a very handy table as it broke in half at the corner and fit in bed of truck easy. This morning I broke it down and stripped it to consolidate and make it very portable. The orange version is, as was and the cutting board version is after. Now you can simply clamp cutting board to any surface and boom you are loading. I did it for one of our boys who is trying to start reloading on a young LEOs pay and raise two children at same time. He has very little time, no space and no extra money. I figure while this setup is fundamental at best at least it will get him going.

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0279.jpeg

IMG_0280.jpeg

Well I had a bunch of leftover Romex from building the house. I just traded it to a guy building a shop for a Ruger American in 7mm-08. Factory camo and Rugers signature cerakote like bronze colored barrel (don’t know what they call it?) with muzzle brake And flat top. I had a very old Leupold 3x9 laying in the back of the safe that is going to jump on it. I just need to pick up some rings. I think it will make a dandy deer hunting rig for when grandkids come to farm to hunt deer. I have never shot an Ruger American Rifle, I don’t think? Maybe, just not sure. Anyone have one? Do you like it? Can it hold a group? I will test it once I get some ammo.

Lapua does make brass for them, so you will have a good foundation for some precision reloads. My neighbor has an 08 and had good luck reloading with Varget and 140 grain Accubond and 139 SST bullets from his Remington. Hornady ELD X Might be a good place to start with factory ammo. Dont know about The American. A few guys have them at the range and seem to think it is a good shooting rifle for the money similiar to a Savage Axis. Sounds like a great trade!

:lol:

Last edited:
Many moons ago I asked if anybody had any knowledge or experience with the Taurus G2c.
Well here it is all these months later I have my concealed carry and I bought a Taurus G2c, it has never failed to feed or fire when you pull the trigger. I liked it enough that I bought the earlier version the Millennium G2 also. I find that I like the grips on the Millennium G2 better than the grips on the G2c.
And once again the Millennium has never failed to fire either or to feed the ammo correctly. That's just my little update on my Tauruses. They didn't cost me a fortune and they are a lot of fun to shoot. I did put the phosphorus sights on the Millennium just for fun.

Last edited:
-
Back