Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
All my quality firearms, shoot anything I've thrown at them for ammo. I quit buying that older green-box Remington, as it wouldn't cycle a couple of my handguns. It was dirty and under-loaded. Guess that's why it was so cheap when I bought it. I gave away a couple cases of 40-cal to friends.
We purchase our ammo in pallet qty, we could only get 30,000 rounds of 9 this month. Likely zero next month. I have dabbled with the 40s on and off for years. In the end they are hard to shoot in a sustained event. Say 500-700 rounds in a training session. We all switched back to 9s. I still like the round as well as 10mm I am just not man enough to shoot much of it! Hah! Like you I ended up giving a bunch of 40 away as I had nothing to feed it to. And still don’t.

We purchase our ammo in pallet qty, we could only get 30,000 rounds of 9 this month. Likely zero next month. I have dabbled with the 40s on and off for years. In the end they are hard to shoot in a sustained event. Say 500-700 rounds in a training session. We all switched back to 9s. I still like the round as well as 10mm I am just not man enough to shoot much of it! Hah! Like you I ended up giving a bunch of 40 away as I had nothing to feed it to. And still don’t.
Before things got heated in Israel, 9s were down to 23 cents a round
I had told myself last year, if it drops below 25 I'm buying a brick

Of course I didn't and now it's back up to 29 at my regular source

I was able to find some from a different source for 25 cents shipped but it is not a brand a know (capital cartridge)

I just gave away the Remington garbage. I have a half dozen HK 40's. My FFL is going outta business, so my shooting days will decrease significantly. Nice having the indoor range in the winter. Oh well, it was great for 3 decades.

I just gave away the Remington garbage. I have a half dozen HK 40's. My FFL is going outta business, so my shooting days will decrease significantly. Nice having the indoor range in the winter. Oh well, it was great for 3 decades.
So...tell us about the going out of business sale

Need advice! Have a handgun, looking at a shotgun for home defense and fun of shooting for both my wife and myself. We're mid 50s, not as durable as we used to be. How much kick from a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge, 18 1/2" with 2 3/4" 1 oz? Would we be 'F*** practicing with that thing, it kicks like a mule!'? Can't use the minishells, steel shot required at our range, and I can't find that (and minis are stupid expensive besides, just like 20 gauge).

Thanks!

I thought Hmm, must be because nobody wants them and they slowed production. NOPE. It seems people are flocking to the 410 for home defense.
May just be for our region but our counter guys here say the demands for 410 are being driven by the “Judge” sales. They have sold the crap out of those the last couple of years. They say they cannot keep them in stock.

Need advice! Have a handgun, looking at a shotgun for home defense and fun of shooting for both my wife and myself. We're mid 50s, not as durable as we used to be. How much kick from a Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge, 18 1/2" with 2 3/4" 1 oz? Would we be 'F*** practicing with that thing, it kicks like a mule!'? Can't use the minishells, steel shot required at our range, and I can't find that (and minis are stupid expensive besides, just like 20 gauge).

Thanks!
Apologies but I am not sure what exactly you are asking? You already have a 590, or are you contemplating getting one? If you are wanting to transition home defense to a shotgun, the Mossberg is a great platform. The “Shockwave” 590 would not be my first choice. you Guys are basically just a few years younger than I am so you remember well the years the semi auto shotguns were unreliable. The technology has risen dramatically and semi shotguns now are very very reliable. I would lean towards that if recoil management is a primary concern. There are some great home defense designed semi auto shotguns by Bennelli, and others.

And so it begins, super busy time here at the range. We are right at three weeks from modern gun opener for deer. I offer sight in services at 25 bucks per gun. My shoulder is doing well post surgery and I can shoot with the other side so no problem, but I am not going to do any thumpers, the shock will transfer to other shoulder and that is not good. I am a live and let live kinda guy but why some guys need 300 win mag for our 100 pound deer escapes me? Most of our guys here have not touched their deer rifles since last year about this time. Again a practice that eludes my understanding. By same token most folks do not live on a rifle range so that’s fair. The worst ones are the guy that walks in and says I just mounted this scope can you dial it in? Never a good sign. Kind of like a guy wanting you to tune his carb and starts with “ it should only take you a minute” . Or the guy that drops an ancient chainsaw Magnesium part on my bench and wants me to weld it up. Then complains about the bill because it only took me ten minutes. I usually explain it took me twenty years to learn how to weld your gas and oil impregnated magnesium part with my five thousand dollar TIG machine In ten minutes.
Sorry pet peeve rant! Wrong thread! Anyway the fresh mounted scopes are always interesting, from hardware bolts to JB weld and all manner of card board shim stock, and square and level with the rifle? Hah! Anyway I got a 223, a 22 and three 308s to do already this mornin. Most of the rifles will start dribbling in this afternoon and tomorrow I will be swamped. I love this time of year! Be safe guys!

I was able to find some from a different source for 25 cents shipped but it is not a brand a know (capital cartridge)
Keep an eye on Fenix, a Michigan based business. It looks like they are sold out on a bunch as well, good bunch of folks. I have met them at local gun shows.

You might consider reloading as a viable option as well.. I think things are gonna get tight again.

9mm

@Sublime one
Contemplating getting one. The 590A1 is a heavy (milspec) barrel, so less recoil. 18 1/2", so not as heavy as a 20". Wouldn't get a Shockwave, need to control what I'm shooting! I was still under impression semis not as reliable as a pump, I may be wrong. I like the 'deterrent'/fear factor of the pump racking, also...can't help it!

Thanks!

@Sublime one
Contemplating getting one. The 590A1 is a heavy (milspec) barrel, so less recoil. 18 1/2", so not as heavy as a 20". Wouldn't get a Shockwave, need to control what I'm shooting! I was still under impression semis not as reliable as a pump, I may be wrong. I like the 'deterrent'/fear factor of the pump racking, also...can't help it!

Thanks!
Home defense scenarios include hallways, so the shorter the barrel the easier to spin around to acquire the target

And so it begins, super busy time here at the range. We are right at three weeks from modern gun opener for deer. I offer sight in services at 25 bucks per gun. My shoulder is doing well post surgery and I can shoot with the other side so no problem, but I am not going to do any thumpers, the shock will transfer to other shoulder and that is not good. I am a live and let live kinda guy but why some guys need 300 win mag for our 100 pound deer escapes me? Most of our guys here have not touched their deer rifles since last year about this time. Again a practice that eludes my understanding. By same token most folks do not live on a rifle range so that’s fair. The worst ones are the guy that walks in and says I just mounted this scope can you dial it in? Never a good sign. Kind of like a guy wanting you to tune his carb and starts with “ it should only take you a minute” . Or the guy that drops an ancient chainsaw Magnesium part on my bench and wants me to weld it up. Then complains about the bill because it only took me ten minutes. I usually explain it took me twenty years to learn how to weld your gas and oil impregnated magnesium part with my five thousand dollar TIG machine In ten minutes.
Sorry pet peeve rant! Wrong thread! Anyway the fresh mounted scopes are always interesting, from hardware bolts to JB weld and all manner of card board shim stock, and square and level with the rifle? Hah! Anyway I got a 223, a 22 and three 308s to do already this mornin. Most of the rifles will start dribbling in this afternoon and tomorrow I will be swamped. I love this time of year! Be safe guys!
The whole concept of having someone "sight in" my personal rifle escapes me. That's one of the cornerstones of the sport. I suppose it is different for other people. I have access to a free shooting ranges if I want to drive a little bit and be patient if someone else is there. I'm not trying to be judgmental. Its more like, stop and smell the roses!!!

Had them all out today, so here's a picture.
2 Kimbers.
2 S&W 38's.
1 S&W 44 Magnum.
1 Ruger, Luger 9mm

My Handguns 004 (Small).JPG

The whole concept of having someone "sight in" my personal rifle escapes me. That's one of the cornerstones of the sport. I suppose it is different for other people. I have access to a free shooting ranges if I want to drive a little bit and be patient if someone else is there. I'm not trying to be judgmental. Its more like, stop and smell the roses!!!
Man do I agree BP. I love the dialing in aspect of a new rifle scope combo. Then as a reloader trying to find just the right recipe to maximize said combo. To me that is as much fun as test and tune days at the track. Just a whole bunch of fun. Many customers are quasi embarrassed when handing over a rifle to get dialed in. They start explaining all the reasons they did not get to it, we’re to busy, dog ate my homework etc etc. I get it, in todays landscape where so often both parents work, there is just no time left for guys to do the things they want. It is unfortunate. At end of deer season I generally get several guys bringing me deer meat and thanking me profusely for dialing in their rifle. Those kind of customers make my day. Especially the little people that have taken a marksmanship class from me then come back with a picture of them and their first deer. Rocking ear to ear grins. That aspect just warms my heart every time. Their Dads are usually apologetic exclaiming I am sorry to bother you but “Johnny” made me drive over here to show you his deer. For a instructor/mentor it just don’t get any better than that.

Home defense scenarios include hallways, so the shorter the barrel the easier to spin around to acquire the target
Reckon I will have to disagree with that to a point. I clear a lot of halls, rooms, garages, schools, churches, you name it. I am a solid fan of a good carbine. I do not feel clunky and or at a disadvantage trying to find bad guys. Not saying I want a full length trap gun but a sawed off shotgun or super short rifle limits me. Again not saying I don’t use and carry a shotgun but not really a short one. I figure if I have to spin around to find the bad guy I have already done something wrong.

Reckon I will have to disagree with that to a point. I clear a lot of halls, rooms, garages, schools, churches, you name it. I am a solid fan of a good carbine. I do not feel clunky and or at a disadvantage trying to find bad guys. Not saying I want a full length trap gun but a sawed off shotgun or super short rifle limits me. Again not saying I don’t use and carry a shotgun but not really a short one. I figure if I have to spin around to find the bad guy I have already done something wrong.
That's a fair point
In my mind, I was comparing my H&R Pardner (Chinese 870 clone) to my G force shotgun

Not sure what the size difference is though

That's a fair point
In my mind, I was comparing my H&R Pardner (Chinese 870 clone) to my G force shotgun

Not sure what the size difference is though
Now you’re talking, I love the 870! My humble opinion, it is to shotguns what the 350 Chevy was/is to internal combustion engines. I got a beer says the majority of guys on this thread have bird hunted with a 870 at one time or another! Apologies for the blasphemy reference to Chevy here on a Mopar site but I figure this is the guns dogs and blade thread! Heck we can like a fine Italian double shotgun, a beautiful German Damascus Blade. And well, dogs rule, don’t care what breed!

Now you’re talking, I love the 870! My humble opinion, it is to shotguns what the 350 Chevy was/is to internal combustion engines. I got a beer says the majority of guys on this thread have bird hunted with a 870 at one time or another! Apologies for the blasphemy reference to Chevy here on a Mopar site but I figure this is the guns dogs and blade thread! Heck we can like a fine Italian double shotgun, a beautiful German Damascus Blade. And well, dogs rule, don’t care what breed!
I dont know about the 870, but that Pardner is the best shooting gun I ever handled

and if the knock off is that great, it makes sense the original is legendary

CZ handguns are incredible. I had one custom shop SA unit, built by Angus. Crazy accurate and fun. I had several RAMI's. One of the nicest carry-guns I've ever owned.

View attachment 1716156044

View attachment 1716156045
I am very curious to see a new “Dan Wesson“ since they have taken over the brand. I have several vintage DWs and they are the best shooting revolver I have ever encountered. I have yet to see a modern CZ pistol have an issue on the line.

Ok so everyone has their own way to set up and dial in a thermal. This evening I was sorting out a SIG Echo 3 thermal sight. They are a bit complex at first but kind of like a laser level once you figure out what aspect you need you can ignore the rest! They are what I would consider the high end of the middle on thermal scopes. You can take snap shots or videos via the screen. It has USB ports and blutooth capabilities. I personally think they are a darn good piece of equipment for the price. They retail right at 2400. As a result I do not often get to tinker with one. When it comes to thermals you can literally spend all you want, I don’t think there is a ceiling! Hah! Anyway me being a redneck welder this is how I do it. I take a 36 inch heliarc mild steel fill rod and bend 180s on both ends. Then I feed a large SST washer thru one end and then hang the whole thing on target stand. Then I grab my handy dandy grill lighter and warm the washer up with flame. That baby will light up like a Christmas tree in the thermal. Then just like any other scope ya put the thing on the thing and press the thing! Make adjustments and verify!

IMG_0549.jpeg

-
Back