Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
I just put finishing touches on range shelter I built, all under Gracie’s watchful eye! Both kit and seating bench is complete, rain gear hooks, and a custom water jug shelf! I still need some metal trim pieces but that can wait. For all intent and purpose I declare the shelter complete!

View attachment 1716266856

View attachment 1716266857

That’s some beautiful work. Do you know what I can make out of wood??? SPLINTERS

This was a FB reel I ran across. The capability of these animals is insane. Apologies to those who don't use FaceBook but I don't know how else to link to it.

Edit...If you google "Malinois named Monkey" there is stuff on U-tube as well.

1720404344428.png

OK, if you have a 12 gauge and a fullsize pistol in 9mm, would you say that's enough to defend, or what would you get next?

Smaller handgun for conceal carry or a rifle for hunting and distance self-defense? I don't hunt, but I can if I have to in SHTF mode... and I'm getting a vibe. If a rifle, recommendations?

Or my favorite, just put the money into getting the old Valiant on the road?

Thanks!

Last edited:
OK, if you have a 12 gauge and a fullsize pistol in 9mm, would you say that's enough to defend, or what would you get next?

Smaller handgun for conceal carry or a rifle for hunting and distance self-defense? I don't hunt, but I can if I have to in SHTF mode... and I'm getting a vibe. If a rifle, recommendations?

Thanks!
Just my opinion a rifle for next purchase .And an AR platform is very multi functional. Alternative is a sweet new to you valiant!

Thanks!
Guns are like dirtbikes or classic cars or bunnies...you leave em alone and they somehow multiply

My first pistol was a ruger SR9
Still my first love as pistols go, but i find myself carrying the taurus compact or the S&W shield

The ruger feels heavy and bulky now, so unless im wearing gloves, im packing a smaller gun

What does your 12 gauge look like?
With the correct barrel length a 12 gauge will put more food on the table then any other caliber (unless your from the south, i hear the .22 has taken more deer there but not because of the versatilityof the projectile)

Which brings up to the .22
Great caliber, affordable to shoot, perfect starter for younger shooters and available in just about any configuration you want

Yeah, id opt for a .22 of some sort

Guns are like dirtbikes or classic cars or bunnies...you leave em alone and they somehow multiply

My first pistol was a ruger SR9
Still my first love as pistols go, but i find myself carrying the taurus compact or the S&W shield

The ruger feels heavy and bulky now, so unless im wearing gloves, im packing a smaller gun

What does your 12 gauge look like?
With the correct barrel length a 12 gauge will put more food on the table then any other caliber (unless your from the south, i hear the .22 has taken more deer there but not because of the versatilityof the projectile)

Which brings up to the .22
Great caliber, affordable to shoot, perfect starter for younger shooters and available in just about any configuration you want

Yeah, id opt for a .22 of some sort
Hard to argue the 22 logic, I am from the south and I can certainly attest that the 22 is used for everything here. Up to and including deer. Please note our deer are typically in the 100 pound range. They are not those feed lot giants from up North. They run the mountains here and eat a lot of acorns! I keep a Ruger 10/22 on the handlebars of my four wheeler. It never comes off. It looks like hammered dog slobber but is nasty effective. The AR platform gives you a bit more range and helps dissuade zombies!

Sorry I didn't see your response till now! 9mm is awesome, but yes, seems big to carry. I want a smaller 9, but we'll see. 12ga is tactical, 19" barrel. I can do birdshot for smaller game (and birds, of course), or slugs for hunting, but my aim wouldn't be as good as range. But, that's what practice is for...

Thanks!
In a fight
AR
Pistol
Shotgun

In "survive" mode
Something you can harvest with based upon your geography. Unnecessarily large caliber is fun until you have to walk with it for days.
A well built AR platform will provide a great deal of functionality across any number of circumstances.

Something for personal protection. Dealer's choice.

Thanks!

I'd snag an AR as well. You can get a reliable performer from Palmetto Syate for pretty inexpensive. I just picked up a complete lower from them with a decent stock for $120. And they regularly have uppers for under 300.

Thanks!

I bought a Taurus TX22 compact almost two years ago and love it. It’s my go to now and first to grab on range days. I have a couple Rugar Mark II that used to be my first to grab but I can’t remember the last time I shot them. I have 5-6 virgins sitting hear that are begging to have the dust knocked out of them.

I bought a Taurus TX22 compact almost two years ago and love it. It’s my go to now and first to grab on range days. I have a couple Rugar Mark II that used to be my first to grab but I can’t remember the last time I shot them. I have 5-6 virgins sitting hear that are begging to have the dust knocked out of them.
Hah! That’s like having a new set of meats and not making a pass with them! Who knows they may turn out to be more effective than your tried and true!!

Well our state has passed new legislation in an effort to reduce the deer herd. They will now allow during muzzle loader season any straight wall case to harvest deer. All my straight wall are cowboy type stuff. What better reason to build a 350 Legend! Ordered parts last night!

Looked at a guys setup for making jacketed bullets the other day. Very interesting. I've never seen that before.

@Sublime one wull probably holler at me for this one but with both my boys out of state and me getting older I’m slowly trying to get things cleaned up some. I probably have every box from every gun I own but today I change that. I’m not selling and my kids couldn’t care less about gun boxes so since I have 50 boxes to burn today these go too. I’ll probably shed a tear or two knowing I really shouldn’t do this. These are three of the ones I haven’t fired yet.

IMG_3716.jpeg

@Sublime one wull probably holler at me for this one but with both my boys out of state and me getting older I’m slowly trying to get things cleaned up some. I probably have every box from every gun I own but today I change that. I’m not selling and my kids couldn’t care less about gun boxes so since I have 50 boxes to burn today these go too. I’ll probably shed a tear or two knowing I really shouldn’t do this. These are three of the ones I haven’t fired yet.

View attachment 1716279763
Well oddly enough I saved every box for years and years. When we moved back home to Ark a couple years back I looked at the mound of box’s I had saved over the years and had the same epiphany. I thought to myself I will never sell, and so there is just no reason for me to transport all these box’s to Arkansas. I made a pile and struck a match. It did hurt me a bit knowing full well I was hurting my resale value, but again. It only hurts if you are selling! Since all mine sunk in the lake during that tragic boating incident I really did not lose a thing! Light the match John and don’t look back! Hah!

Well oddly enough I saved every box for years and years. When we moved back home to Ark a couple years back I looked at the mound of box’s I had saved over the years and had the same epiphany. I thought to myself I will never sell, and so there is just no reason for me to transport all these box’s to Arkansas. I made a pile and struck a match. It did hurt me a bit knowing full well I was hurting my resale value, but again. It only hurts if you are selling! Since all mine sunk in the lake during that tragic boating incident I really did not lose a thing! Light the match John and don’t look back! Hah!

Wow what a coincidence. I bought myself a boat when I retired and the same thing happened. Stupidly instead of taking one or two guns I took them all and overloaded my damn boat. She was a good one.

All the schools in our State are trying to get their Commissioned Officers spooled up at the very last minute right before school starts. We are swamped, I am about to hit the road again, I will come home bruised and battered with little red blue and green welts all over me from being the recipient of the Team’s response. Not sure why I always have to play bad guy role? Please don’t answer that any of y’all that know me! Hah!

-
Back