Had an accident on my Harley

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
Well I went out to the local convenience store to pick up a few things. On my way home some guy in a mini van turns left right in front of me. I was travelling about 30 mph and was only a few feet from the intersection when he decides to turn. I had the bike allmost stopped but the front tire (21" thin *** piece of junk that is coming off for a 16" tire directly) lost traction and the bike fell on the carb side. Mini van dude just drives away! Fortunately two people got his tag and gave statements so the cops wrote up a report of the incedent. What burns me up is because I did not actually hit him he is not guilty of leaving the scene! I don't undestand that at all. He was written a ticket for inproper turning though. I am a little stiff but not in the hospital so I guess it could have been much worse. The bike did get some sustantial damage including the gas tanks which had original paint and were 27 years old. I am so disgusted with the total lack of concern that motorists have around here anymore. They are so rude and do not pay attention as well as driving like maniacs.:angry5: I do not speed or drive agressively and I am glad that I am seeing the police writing plenty of tickets lately. I guess I should be glad that I did not get run over but if the guy was pating attention I would have continued home without any problems.

Yup, I may be a pussy but after my son was born I went back to Mopars and left Harleys alone. Too many inconsiderate *** ho#$#$ on the road. Glad your ok, When I was riding everybody knew sombody who was not so lucky.

Bummer. Did you have your brain bucket on? I can't even tell you the amount of close calls I've had riding.

I'm thinking you may be hurting tomorrow more than today. Glad as heck you didn't get hurt bad though.

Get some good tires and remember that when riding, you are invisible to everyone. That mindset has saved my butt numerous times.

Glad you are still around. I have personally seen a motorcycle accident happen the same way. The end result was something I remember to this day some 30 years later.

Well, your still typing and this is good.

ounds like the life of a biker to me and why I sold mine in the crazy city I live in.

A friend of my family was killed in that exact scenario by an impatient teenage punk.

He clipped Jim just as you described and somehow broke his neck, leaving Wife and three kids.

He was the best tree guy I have ever seen in action.

He could climb a 80' pine like a monkey with his harness, spiked boots, and chainsaw clipped to his belt cutting branches as he went up.
Then would whittle the trunk on his way down till nothing was left.

He did not play games with ropes and stuff, amazing to watch, real tough guy, never would have thought someone could take him out that easily.

I would love to ride a bike but too many azzules out there.

Lot of azzules on bikes too, specially the youngins.

Anybody can get their license. My sister got hers and man was she bad. My dad of course was trying to teach her how to drive and she was blowing stops signs and in the snow banks when trying to parallel park. I hate stupid drivers, I swear they make up half my town :angry7:

The New Canadians that moved here made me quit riding, I guess there used to bicycles and camels.....:stop:

I pretty much assume everybody on the road is trying to run me over and nobody get the benefit of the doubt. If i were not paying attention or speeding I would have been plastereed on the side of his Caravan. Yes a Mopar product! I have been riding for 25 years and I'm not about to stop now. I am still a little rattled but that will pass. I've lost more than a few friends to bike wrecks but you have to live and that means do what you enjoy.

glad you're ok. #3 sons best friend was killed on Sunday while riding his motorcycle. It's not the people on bikes (usually), it's the ones in cars.

Mischiefdart -
Sure glad you're OK and this turned out as good as it did. Since they only ticketed the other guy, does this mean he did or did not cause your accident? Might be good to know when it comes time for determining fault for your insurance.
I've been riding for over 30 years - took a 15 year break in the middle when my kids were young and I was a fulltime single parent - and have been down three times on bikes. Once due to another driver making an illegal lane change on the freeway, once due to the driver in front of me on the freeway not paying attention to what was happening in front of him and slamming on his breaks and then going into the center divider on the freeway not giving me enough room to stop (needed about another foot), and finally once in the mountains due to my own fault. Never hurt though.
Again, glad you're OK.

The New Canadians that moved here made me quit riding, I guess there used to bicycles and camels.....:stop:

We have a few of them so called Canadians around here too, the ones with turbans are called pull starts, the ones with the dot we call push starts, the ones with no teeth we call kick starts. OH CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you are okay, don't stop what you love todo keep riding.

Kenny.

man I tell ya it's ridiculous the way people drive. really glad your ok and I hope you don't give up riding because of this. I started riding last year and man I have to say it's probably one of the best experiences you can have. stretched out in the wind is the way to be.

But I do have to say it's really dangerous at the same time. Last year I could have been run over or run off the rode at least a half dozen times. These new arrivals in canada, man I don't know what to say. it must be easier for them to get a drivers license then anyone else. Last year I almost got run over by one driving a cab because the road widened enough for his van and my bike and figured he could pass me.

Back in 95 I was a Firefighter/medic. One of the accidents that sticks in my mind to this day is as follows. The alarm at the station rang about 9:00am one morning and was announced over the loud speaker as a car vs motorcycle accident. As a medic you have to prepare yourself for the worst. When we arrived there was little to do but gasp. A car had pulled right out in front of a Ninja style bike, and the bike t-boned the car, and was literally stuck in the side of the car with the driver still on it. May he rest in peace. The driver of the car died too. I'll remember that the rest of my life, it truly scarred me.

ounds like the life of a biker to me and why I sold mine in the crazy city I live in.

i just got my motorcyle license and hell im almost afraid to ride because of the A holes around here. i go around the corner and ill have 3 close calls. im almost afraid to drive my cars even. sheet metal isent cheap!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am a lot madder than the bike is damaged. I can not believe that anyone would just leave with no concern at all for the other party. Accidets happen (a little to frequently with the poor training and rediculously easy drivers exams) but you should at least man up if you have made a mistake. I am not giving up riding but I do have a slightly different perspective about the level of care that needs to be taken to ensure my safety. I am definitely puting a tire with a much bigger contact patch on the front of that bike. All my other bikes have better rubber on the front and I will never put another 21" front wheel on any bike I ride. Dave

Well it turns out after waiting a week and a half for the police report with the guys info his insurance policy was cancelled! I filed a claim and was called back by progressive and informed the policy was cancelled in November. I will be letting the police know this in the morning. Good thing I was not seriously injured or I would be in a real bad spot.

-
Back