Half sized oil filter???

-

streetdak

Reaction score
Does anyone know if they make a half sized or smaller than the normal filter for a small block?? I have all my exhaust finally mocked up and to make it work all I need is a little shorter filter. I remember someone saying there is one, would anyone have the part number for this?

Why not get the oil adapter and use a standard size filter)

Do you mean like half the size of an older full quart filter? All the later Mopars used a 5281090 filter that holds about half a quart. There is also the even smaller in diameter filter used on the old K cars 2.2 but I wouldn't recommend using that one. Otherwize I see a right angle adapter in your future ((got a new crystal ball. lol))

well i have one on the 340 for the 74, but i want to keep it on that motor. I also don't want to go through the trouble of putting the adapter on and pipes still hitting or being too close. I know that If i get the half sized one all will 100% work, I will go there however if I have to lol

I do think I found my answer from Car Craft's hemi swap guide
Fram PH3512

I would also like to know because i havent had much luck with a right angle adapter over the years

Normal filter is a ph 8A and a shorter version of that is a ph 16.......

Fram TG16 is a shortie that I have on my SB Duster so it will clear the headers. I have been running Fram oil filters for many many years and I have not had one bit of problem. So To Each their own, I will stay with Fram.... JMO...

well i have one on the 340 for the 74, but i want to keep it on that motor. I also don't want to go through the trouble of putting the adapter on and pipes still hitting or being too close. I know that if i get the half sized one all will 100% work, i will go there however if i have to lol

i do think i found my answer from car craft's hemi swap guide
fram ph3512

i am going after work to get one and try it, because right now i have my cars og 1971 exhaust (w/pentastars on the mufflers)

Back a few years (don't remember how many now, when you get old all the days start to run together) Chrysler put out a TSB saying not to use Fram filters on the diesels. They had metal chips in them, destroyed some engines and warranty wasn't covering them if they had a Fram filter on them.

But don't take my word for it just do some Google searching on oil filters and you'll find out for yourself.

Back a few years (don't remember how many now, when you get old all the days start to run together) Chrysler put out a TSB saying not to use Fram filters on the diesels. They had metal chips in them, destroyed some engines and warranty wasn't covering them if they had a Fram filter on them.

But don't take my word for it just do some Google searching on oil filters and you'll find out for yourself.

have read about a ton of problems with fram filters taking out engines. i had used them for years with no issues but no way now. i run napa golds (wix)

cut away of numerous common filters...
http://www.abodyjoe.com/Misccars/carinfo/oilfilters/oilfilters.htm

Wix cross ref:

Baldwin numbers:
B2 5-13/32 long WIX 51515
B233 4-3/8 long WIX 51068
B34 3-7/8 long WIX 51085
B7221 2-9/16 long WIX 51335

plum it up and go with an OBERG cost alittle more but last a life time.and wen you change the oil you take it apart and know whats going threw the fliter....Artie

Hello, Wix makes a filter that's about 1/2" shorter than their 51068 filter. The part # is 51521. I'm using this one on my Demon due to my custom headers being very close to the filter. I hope this helps you, Joe Arceri.

I use K+N HP-2004 short or HP-3001 long filter , have yet to have a problem , also like the nut at the end . Makes taking off the filter easy . Can also wire it in for tha racey look

-
Back