Half sized oil filter???

-
I use the shorty wix. Works with my hooker headers with no need for an elbow.

The Royal Purple/AFE in the link above looks like a good/low restriction filter. Might try that in the future.

Back a few years (don't remember how many now, when you get old all the days start to run together) Chrysler put out a TSB saying not to use Fram filters on the diesels. They had metal chips in them, destroyed some engines and warranty wasn't covering them if they had a Fram filter on them.

But don't take my word for it just do some Google searching on oil filters and you'll find out for yourself.

Interesting since the Mopar brand filters were nothing more than a Fram with a black paint job a few years ago. Lately they look like they are getting them from Purolator.

FWIW, I finally welded a bracket to the floor and mounted a remote filter up next to the tranny. No more making a mess on my headers any time I change the filter. Plus I have plenty of room for the big filter. :)

Attachments

• IMG_2235.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 196
  • IMG_2236.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 181
For the NAPA number just drop the 5 off of the WIX number.

Baldwin numbers: Wix cross ref:
B2 5-13/32 long WIX 51515
B233 4-3/8 long WIX 51068
B34 3-7/8 long WIX 51085
B7221 2-9/16 long WIX 51335

I run a short filter on my Sport with headers. If the guy at your parts store knows anything,he can find a filter for you. I'm running wix,myself.

51131 is 3.372" high I hope it is short enough to clear my headman headers, otherwise I may have to remote mount my filter as the 90 degree adapters are on indefinite back order.
If any of you has a adapter you're not using I'm looking to buy one.

Many years ago when I was running turbo Mopar cars I bought some filters from my local Mopar dealer like I had never seen before. They were the approximate height as the small diameter ones normally used on 4 cyl. cars but were large diameter like a 'normal' filter.
For some reason I never used them but I ran across the box the other day. I'll try to find it again and post some pics. They are the shortest filters I have ever seen. I'll gladly sell them if you can use them.
I also have a couple of angle adapters if I can find them.
Dallas

Interesting since the Mopar brand filters were nothing more than a Fram with a black paint job a few years ago. Lately they look like they are getting them from Purolator.
ya think?just got a mopar filter from walmart,it doesn't look to be a fram unit

Ok, Here's a couple of pics of one next to the common 'short' filter. I really don't know what application these were for as they weren't what I had intended to order. The parts guy evidently wasn't familiar with turbo 2.2 engines as these filters certainly weren't the ones commonly used. They were a lot more expensive, also. List price was $13.35 and cost was $8.80 each. The paper tag with the handwritten part number is the only identification I could see.
It would be interesting to see if that part number will cross to some common brand filter.
Dallas

Attachments

• IMG_6464 (Small).JPG
    47 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_6465 (Small).JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_6466 (Small).JPG
    46 KB · Views: 145
Just an Update, the Fram PH3512 is perfect!! Hot Rod magazine recommended this filter when doing a new hemi swap into an older Mopar.

I myself have always used Fram filters, and Valvoline Oil. Never had an issue with oiling problems in any of the regular or hot rod cars I've ever had. I got 60 psi cold, and 20 when warm at idle. I have no problem continuing to use Fram stuff unless I see encounter some kind of direct problem that I haven't seen before.

+2 on the Wix filter, My buddy owns a few auto-parts stores and that is what he recommends and uses on his 73 challenger 340. He stocks @6 brands but uses wix on his own cars.

Ok, Here's a couple of pics of one next to the common 'short' filter. I really don't know what application these were for as they weren't what I had intended to order. The parts guy evidently wasn't familiar with turbo 2.2 engines as these filters certainly weren't the ones commonly used. They were a lot more expensive, also. List price was $13.35 and cost was $8.80 each. The paper tag with the handwritten part number is the only identification I could see.
It would be interesting to see if that part number will cross to some common brand filter.
Dallas

That appears to be the same as the 51131 from WIX or 1131 NAPA

Just an Update, the Fram PH3512 is perfect!! Hot Rod magazine recommended this filter when doing a new hemi swap into an older Mopar.

I myself have always used Fram filters, and Valvoline Oil. Never had an issue with oiling problems in any of the regular or hot rod cars I've ever had. I got 60 psi cold, and 20 when warm at idle. I have no problem continuing to use Fram stuff unless I see encounter some kind of direct problem that I haven't seen before.

Keep using them , but check how they are built with cheap cardboard end caps plastic centre pieces , even the garage I go to will no longer use fram and he used them for years , he uses wix now . It's your engine , you will never collect off fram for a toasted mill , impossible to prove , that's why the guaranty .
Multy thousand engine and you stick with a filter that is proven on the web to be built like crap ? It's your money .
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/reference.html

""Fram Extra Guard PH8A

This filter cartridge has a small outside diameter with a rather low filter element surface area (193 sqin), and features cardboard end caps that are bonded in place using a thermal adhesive. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals the rough metal backplate to the cardboard end cap. In practice these seem to leak, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. If you use this filter and have a noisy valve train at startup, the filter is likely the cause. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak when they should be closed. The backplate has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow.

The telltale signs for a Fram Extra Guard are: It has 8 small holes for the oil inlet and a thin-looking backplate. There are 5 very small crimps holding the gasket in place. If you look into the center hole all the way to the top of the filter, you will see a kind of "button" in the end cap of the cartridge (which looks like it's made of metal from there). This is the plastic bypass valve.""

-
Back