Hard heads...

-
It took me many years of throwing a fit when I couldn't find a tool, especially when I just had it in my hand. Now days I look, don't find it, grab another out of the tool box, And sure enough, later on I will find the original and think, that's right I remember putting it here or there. But I am a slooooooooooow study, took years to attain this state of Zen. AAAAMMMMM, AAAMMMM.

It took me many years of throwing a fit when I couldn't find a tool, especially when I just had it in my hand. Now days I look, don't find it, grab another out of the tool box, And sure enough, later on I will find the original and think, that's right I remember putting it here or there. But I am a slooooooooooow study, took years to attain this state of Zen. AAAAMMMMM, AAAMMMM.

For me, the fit throwing wasn't about tools, it was about something not cooperating. The drywall in the garage looked like a porcupine from all the screwdrivers thrown into it.

Then I realized that an inanimate object couldn't outthink me. Step back, grab a smoke, get a cup of coffee, crank the radio... Breathe! Then it would all fall into place.

I've worked in parts for about 10+ years now. And I will say. That 8 hours a day of dealing with customers can wear on you. You can really only hear so many stupid ideas in one day without it getting to you on some level.

Over the years I learned one very important thing. Some people are open to your ideas and expertise. Some aren't. Gotta sort them out quick. Or you'll just waste your time on someone who doesn't wanna hear it.

For example. I worked with hydraulics. Fittings. Hose. Etc. Had a hutterite customer come in one day. Wanted to hook a hydraulic motor up to his hose reel. So he could reel in a mile of hose without doing it by hand. Not a bad idea I figure. But the guy can't answer any questions. Has no idea what his system puts out. Which makes it very difficult to figure out exactly how much torque/rpm the motor will put out. So he gives me his best guestimates. I tell him that when working with guestimates, I won't guarntee the motor will do the job. And if the motor has been run, we won't take it back. It will be on him. He's ok with that so we start looking. I'm thinking high torque low rpm. Mile of hose weighs a bunch, gunna need torque to do work. Apparently he had a different idea. The motor he picks? Does 411 rpm at his "guestimated" system specs. So I say "You really wanna reel in a mile of hose at 411 rpm?" and I **** you not, he starts spinning his hand around in a circle and says "That's about 411 rpm right? That should work".

It was at that moment, I stopped arguing with him or trying to convince him to change his mind. You just aren't going to convince some people.

So I sold him the motor. Coupling he needed. And sent him on his way. I haven't heard of any hutterites killed in crazy hose accidents yet. So I figure he either never got it to work. Or he just hasn't hooked it up yet.

For me, the fit throwing wasn't about tools, it was about something not cooperating. The drywall in the garage looked like a porcupine from all the screwdrivers thrown into it.

Then I realized that an inanimate object couldn't outthink me. Step back, grab a smoke, get a cup of coffee, crank the radio... Breathe! Then it would all fall into place.
My problem is I quit smoking 4 1/2 years ago! That use to be my sedative.

A tool flies in shop a couple times a year, i always find my 1/2" combination wrench-its in my other hand. (Cleaned glasses)
Smoke break,coffee favorite tunes cranked and cell phone off.
11 hours later i delivering that 5.4 cylinder head to customer for repair, hes also my parts supplier otherwise i would have passed on that job. Needed lots of breaks.

I have been a member for a long time now. Sometimes it almost feels like I know some of you guys just from accepting your advice or reading your posts. I would not have the car I have today if it was not for this forum and the knowledge of its members. Often times a newbie will not take good advice (I know from experience) and therefore fail at the task, but that is part of learning too I think. I have learned so much from spending time on this forum. One of the first things I learned here was that I need to provide the right info in my question for it to have a chance to be answered. With time I have gained experience, but there are still times when answers on here can be a bit overwhelming. There are also times when I get the sense that people haven't really read the question too. Or are out to convince you that you should just "scrap that and get this" etc. The positives are still far greater than the negatives on here. Many times I have admired the patience of those with knowledge on here, taking time, writing, giving advice and solutions. Many times I have thought of posting a "Thanks for all the help through the years" thread. So, thank you for the time and patience, please don't go away :)

When I was a newbie to this site, I exhausted all the info I could on 273 and even read a bunch on 2 valve 4.6l Ford engines cause of similar size and bore. And I had few questions even though I had 90% percent game plan thought out even though it just turned into a pipe dream anyways. That's why a bought a road worthy car to mold into what I want. But really never got the anwser I wanted which is ok not many 400 + hp 273 builds going on and mainly got build 360 instead which made sense after I abandon the Time Attack plan but before that using a 273 had a advantage for what I was gonna use it for. Sold the 65 Cuda hopefully the new owner (bodyman) puts it on the road.

But glad I did join this site, I enjoy this online comunity the only one I've ever belonged to. Lots of good guys on here that get along for the most part from all around the world. Even from some places where on other levels we'd be enemies but on here were all peeps that love our Mopar's. The last 5-6 years there's hardly a day I don't check in and see what's up :) and happy to help anyone if i can.

I read lots on here and do a lot of observing. Lots of times I may type something then delete because I figure someone would argue but if I do post something it is from experience that I know works. Bad advise is worse than no advise at all. From my observation I think the presentation of that advise could be better some of the time. I know if I was the one asking and I got a sarcastic reply it would turn me off and maybe I would look elsewhere and maybe miss the answers that I was seeking. I try to treat people like I like to be treated and expect the same in return. We all learn something everyday and this is a great place to do it

That sounds like my former father in law. He called me one time to confirm his diagnostics on an issue and he was about 180° off what was really going on. I spent almost an hour on the phone with him explainimg to him that the symptoms had nothing to do with what he thought was the cause. He just called to have me back up his thinking, no matter how wrong it was instead of wanting to get headed in the right direction.

I told him, eventually, to do what he thought best and them call me back when it didn't work and I'd be happy to tell him what needed to be done.

An hour spent on the phone trying to convince someone who'd already made up his mind. A complete waste of both our time.

I sincerely hope your ex father in law isn't my cousin. He just spent 13 months figuring out the spring rate on his rear springs were to high. That was after the de-arch, a re-arch, extended shackles and 4.75 hours of phone calls explaining to him you can't get the rear shackle far enough over center to bind up the spring.

But I haven't stopped wanting a smoke yet!

I was trying to pick up a girl in a bar and she asked me if I smoked after sex...

I told her, "I don't know, I've never looked"....

But I have smelled burning rubber on occasion....

I sincerely hope your ex father in law isn't my cousin. He just spent 13 months figuring out the spring rate on his rear springs were to high. That was after the de-arch, a re-arch, extended shackles and 4.75 hours of phone calls explaining to him you can't get the rear shackle far enough over center to bind up the spring.

Probably just as hard headed.

Former father in law was a reliability engineer at Flint Hills refinery in MN. He did a lot of valving and pipeline spec. Very smart man when it came to engineering something. Like a lot of engineers he tended to overthink matters instead of following the KISS method for diagnosing car issues.

I'll give him credit on a lot of things, though. If he wanted to do something he research and researched and then did it. He had a brain for mechanical things and would have made a fair to middlin' mechanic with the right mentoring.

Unfortunately, he and I clashed over Sarah and that lead to some issues. It took almost right before her death for him to understand that husband/wife relationship overrules father/child relationship.

I feel like I may be one of the people that some have a difficult time with. For that I apologize. I neither have the experience,equipment, or knowledge to accomplish what I need to do. It can be explained to me , which I cannot fully grasp. At times ,if explained, showed to me me, then told WHY , I CAN GET IT. With age it has NOT been easier. Something can be explained and 2.3 seconds later I cannot remember 1/2 of it. I can understand your frustration, but for someone like me it is no better. I much appreciated anyone trying to help.
Yote

I feel like I may be one of the people that some have a difficult time with. For that I apologize. I neither have the experience,equipment, or knowledge to accomplish what I need to do. It can be explained to me , which I cannot fully grasp. At times ,if explained, showed to me me, then told WHY , I CAN GET IT. With age it has NOT been easier. Something can be explained and 2.3 seconds later I cannot remember 1/2 of it. I can understand your frustration, but for someone like me it is no better. I much appreciated anyone trying to help.
Yote
Well there is one thing to look forward to as we get older and our memory retention slips away. There will come a time when we can hide our own Easter eggs!

I realize I am about the 100th person to reply to this, but I agree with RRR. I have noticed several times that a person would ask for some help on something and then argue with the responses. Irritating!

I was trying to pick up a girl in a bar and she asked me if I smoked after sex...

I told her, "I don't know, I've never looked"....

But I have smelled burning rubber on occasion....
---------LOL

So what's new, isn't that how the world has worked for it's entire existence?
Firsthand comes from trying it yourself, though you can save time and money taking another's word for it, if you believe everything you read...ha ha ha ...not really.

I have proved wrong many of the passed along garbage advice.

I agree with you, to an extent, rusty.

Now let have a laugh and post the recent "I told you so" scenarios....lol I know of a head thread or 3 that the old bigger is better bit someone ***, good guys and not a bash at all...just inflated heads with too many mouths firing off at them all at once.

Last edited:
So what's new, isn't that how the world has worked for it's entire existence?
Firsthand comes from trying it yourself, though you can save time and money taking another's word for it, if you believe everything you read...ha ha ha ...not really.

I have proved wrong many of the passed along garbage advice.

I agree with you, to an extent, rusty.

Now let have a laugh and post the recent "I told you so" scenarios....lol I know of a head thread or 3 that the old bigger is better bit someone ***, good guys and not a bash at all...just inflated heads with too many mouths firing off at them all at once.
GOTTA GO BACK TO THE----------LISTEN TO EVERYONE, AND MAKE UP UR OWN MIND THING.

I took the advise with.... aaaa.......grain..... of salt................. now I must go skin the cat.

-
Back