Hard Starting After Warmed Up.....Arrrg

-
Sorry for asking the question guys. I have read alot of the postings and I just was trying to get some help understanding.
Don't worry. I won't be posting much longer. My wife has cancer and the car is all that keeps me going to help me cope with her health condition and my mental anguish.
Take care all.
Signing off permanently.

Sorry for asking the question guys. I have read alot of the postings and I just was trying to get some help understanding.
Don't worry. I won't be posting much longer. My wife has cancer and the car is all that keeps me going to help me cope with her health condition and my mental anguish.
Take care all.
Signing off permanently.

Asking questions is what it's all about, no need to feel bad.

Sorry to hear about the wife. please keep up posted. We're all here if you need anything.

Or an electric fuel pump in series just for repriming the carb after feul boil off.

Take care all.
Signing off permanently.

Prayers for you and your wife. Take a break, have a meltdown, relieve some stress. Mopars are NOT stress relievers LOL. Chime back after a while. We will help when we can. I studied youtube video after video after video to figger the timing **** out.

Patrick if you will call me, I will walk you through it.

We've never stopped praying for your wife from when you told me she was sick. God bless yall.

Hi Guys, first off I want to apologize for being a little pissed last night. Life is kinda difficult right now, so bare with me. I do appreciate all the help and I don't post too often , as I don't like to re-hash something that has been brought up a million times (i.e. timing). I do look at old threads alot before I will ask a question that I can't seem to get quite right in my head. I got the timing thing down pretty well now.

I did get the "timing" set correct today with a lil help from Rusty Rat Rod. He explained over the phone what I was misinterpreting.
Car is all in at 3000 @ 34°, with the initial set at 14°-15°. I did go to 18° with around 36°-37° but she pinged a bit on the pull on an incline.
I set her back and she runs purdy good now for a fairly stock teen.

In regards to the "heat" (hard starting issue), the timing helped alot, but still no cigar.
I did do a little test and if I keep the big *** 14" drop base steel air cleaner off the carb, it makes a fair difference. It appears that air cleaner is a heat holding hog. Not that I will drive the car without an air cleaner, but that heat hog has to go...LOL
I think I am going fab one up at our machine shop and use a smaller diameter K&N filter, with some external air feed. A snorkel scoop would be nice, but that ain't in our budget nowadays.
But... all in all she runs better and does start "ok" after she's hot. I ain't gonna get too excited over the heat thing at this point in time, as I have a fresh 360 in Georgia that's going in the car in the winter sometime. I'll make all final changes when it goes in.

Thanks again for the help and thanks to those with respect to my wife. We appreciate it.

Good deal. No need to apologize man, I can't imagine what y'all are going through. I would be edgy as well.

If it started OK at 18*, I'd be in the distributor to get the mechanical side fixed to hit your total number.

The extra ignition timing may help with all the starting issues.

Rob, I am not "that" familiar with adjusting the mechanical advance in the dizzy as of yet. I am still reading through articles on how to "exactly" perform the method with proper results.
I know to alot of people who do this all the time, it's like a no brainer (which it probably is). But I am the type of person that if you explain in person and show me once how to do it.....I got it.
I do understand the mechanical advance theory, but I am going to hold off a bit until I have more time to digest it all and work with it.
My time working on the car is very limited right now. But I do appreciate the help in wanting to get me on a better playing field with the car.
It's ok...I'll get to it in time.
Thanks again.

No need to apologize. Sounds like our brains work the same way. A 5 minute phone call or show n tell makes all the difference in the world for me too.
If and when you want to tweak the timing some more just reply to this thread.
All the best

Yep, it takes time to get it right on ignition. Some Mopar distributors are much easier to adjust than others. The first link I posted is the older/harder style.

If the rotor tower, where you press the rotor on is bronze in color, that's the easier type. Cast colored, hard style.

I hope your wife gets better. I deal with a family member that's been "hampered" from an injury for over 15 years. It's a struggle, time consumer, draining, etc but I refuse to place them in a home when I can help out. Hope the best outcome for you.

Good deal. No need to apologize man, I can't imagine what y'all are going through. I would be edgy as well.

+1 on that, since you explained your situation we have no hard feelings against you and totally understand why you're not in the best mood about it. Hang in there and take it easy, my prayers for your wife and you having to go through this. :):):)

Ignition is tricky to get a full grasp on, I'm also a "show me" type when it comes to learning. There are a couple YouTube videos out there that explain and show how to set ignition timing on older engines.

-
Back