Have i got it right? 10s or 11s

-

pete walton

Reaction score
Spent the last twelve mounths getting the parts together for my assault on the tens,bearing in mind my bank balance has decided most of the parts.
440 moter .30 over
rods and pistons come with the block believed to be the old trw pop ups
making about 11.i comp, rods believed to be manley ??
crank is from a 69 440
studded mains
Milodon single line oil system
Eddy rpm heads ported
mopar .590 cam
msd dizzy and 6al
balanced,deburred the works
Now the inlet is were i have gone a bit old fashioned. Tunnel ram with twin 650 dps

9 inch verter drives the whole lot to 4.88 gears
Car is a 67 cuda stripped out ,fiberglass frount end ,guessing about 3000 lbs

So am i wasting my time hoping for a 10 or should i settle for 11s ???

Not a big fan of BB or Tunnel Rams, but I would think that 10's should be doable with that combo.

What's the rest of the package?
If you really want to go fast for cheap I can recomend these two part #:
P5249010 :cheers:
P4452791 :cheers:
Best money you can ever spend / most bang for the buck.
Maybe superseded now .

slicks are 14 inch wide,was thinking about short first gear to get the sixty foot times down???but with the 4.88s that might be a bit to much .Rockers are crane gold rollers

Not a real fan of the old mopar cams, but 10's should be there. Keep tweaking and they'll fall into place.

My first pass with a heavier , but similar combo was an 11.22. After much chassis tuning and a little engine tuning, 10.70's were a staple time for my 3350# '74 Cuda.

Hi pete that car should have noproblem running 10if it dont something is wrong with it. My old 3500 pound 65 plymouth would run 10.56 at 126-127 all day long. I would try the tunnelram with some 750 DP carbs on it. here is a brake down of what i ahd in my 65 if your interested.

65 Plymouth 2 dr. hdtp.
-.030 over 440
-Eagle 6.76 rods
-Ross domed pistons w/.990 pin (although our compression is probably only 11.0-11.5 with the big E-head chambers.)
-Factory Forged Steel Crank
-Unported E-heads
- cam mopar 312/.590 degreed in at 104) with indy 1.6 roller rockers
- victor 440 with a holley 1050hp or m1-4500 ported intake with ½ four hole spracer and mr,gasket safety plate
-Charlie’s aluminum Super Stock 10 qt. pan with Milodon swinging pickup, external line, and oil pump.
-TTI 2" x 3 ½ nickel plated headers
-Accel 300+ ignition triggered by an MSD Crank Trigger and sparked through MSD distributor and wires with Champion race plugs.
- dana 60 with 4.56 gears every thing else the same)
-Wilwood Disc on all 4 corners.
-Cal-Trac bars, springs, and shocks.
-Turbo Action 4400 converter.
- NEW ( -31x10.5x15w M/T with a circ. Of 99.0

the 4400 converter in my car with the m1 or the victor wouldstall around 5200-5400 and with the m1 tunnelram and 2 750 edelbrock carbs it would stall around 5600 or more. so i know the tunnelram was making more power.I uselly ran around 1.43-1.44 sixty foots and 6.60 at 102-103 1/8 mile times.sorry this is so long and good luckon your car. Mopar65

Thanks for the replies, just got everything back from the machine shop .Photos to follow soon

I think easy 10.50-10.70's. I have heard nothing but good things about the 590cam.

Picture before i took it apart .Its a origional 70s race car shipped from calif 2 years ago to England

Picture before i took it apart .Its a origional 70s race car shipped from calif 2 years ago to England

Can not seem to get the picture to load,look in the members section its in there

Loaded ,If you are wondering who jim smith is he is the guy who raced it in the seventies in California .Well thats what i was told when i shipped it from the states two years ago.And the rammed engine mocked up before it went of too the machine shop.

php3spbjepm_192.jpg

Thaught you guys would like to see my completed ,,at last,,,engine.Like all things in life the plan changed as the build took place.Out went the tunnel ram and Eddys and in came a set of sr650 with stage 2 port job.These were scored second hand from a friend .The whole plan at this stage got changed so ali main caps ,stroker crank,and 13.5 comp came in .Big ole Comp cam roller was grafted in .Its taken me the best part of two years to get to the point were its ready to go back together. Nearly bailed out more times than i care to think about ,but i am there, bar the song from the fat lady.Roll on the Mopar Euro Nationals ,,,gonna kick some

phpmagzompm_170.jpg

phpfzuk7kpm_141.jpg

440(1)_PWalton.jpg

440_PWalton_(5).jpg

pw_rollcage_109.jpg

pw_wheel_564.jpg

The combo at the beginning of the post would have run 10s Our 67 gt has that exact same build with a little less compression and it went 11.01 on its very first pass on the motor w/ 4.30s on pump gas and a 28 in tire with a little more weight than you have. Havent started tuning on it yet though we will soon
Marvin Jr..

Reread the updated parts that thing should go pretty good. We have a set of those heads on our 68post(race car)has run in the 9.60s with those heads 12.5-1 and a solid flat tappet camshaft.
Good luck,
Marvin Jr

-
Back