-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Comes up a lot with our cars.
Here's a flyer.
The language gives me questions.
Maybe your codes are similarly worded.

Paved with what? Brick? Gravel? Pavers? Shingles?
This presupposes that one has grass on which to park a car.
Is dirt exempt?
Define "weeds".
If it is neither grass nor weed is there a height restriction?
Apparently even a brand new Veyron in a garage must be registered if in a residential district.
Looks like it is as much about revenue as appearances.

Attachments

• Dekalb Code.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 722
It's time for a revolution. This is the kind of stuff that really drives me insane! They tried a little bit of this in my city, but for the most part, they leave everybody alone. Once I got notified for a stack of old tires being a "fire hazard"....LOL.....yet I have a 200-foot wood fence around my pool area, and that's just fine.

If the city starts getting crazy on the enforcement again (it's a money-generator if they get ignored by the owner and need to clean up weeds themselves), I might have to go to some of the city officials' houses and take some pics of any and all their violations and post them up online.

You want a war?......you got it!

all it takes is one nosey neighbor submitting complaint after complaint, and then you will have them all up in your yard doing inspections posting violation notices etc.

it's getting to be the same everywhere.

we have people on my street putting $1000's into yard decorations (add up about 40 shrubs, 500 decorative bricks, several ornamental statues, flower beds, etc.) then they will surely complain about the poor family down the street who detracts from the neighborhood. never once spoke a word to that family, but will call the office and complain lol.

I'll point out an obvious "flaw" in the language.
Bamboo is a grass.
Sometimes it is commonly used for screening. (There's an idea for you)
Ever seen what some types of uncontained bamboo will do if you plant it on the property line next to your neighbors nice lawn?
"Canebrake".

I sure am glad I live where I do. None of the BS around here.

Jack
X@ on that, when I lived in Michigan I got dinged for stuff that the mayor and council members did regularly (not the crooked Detroit mayor) the not quite as crooked Taylor mayor. I took pictures or the mayors house and some of the council members houses (In B&W pictures) without showing the color of the house and location and sent it to the papers to guess which houses these were that was not complying with code or building with out a permit. AND had never been ticketed . I looked it up in the public records to make sure. sure raised a firestorm of howling and shut down a lot of building going on.

all it takes is one nosey neighbor

And that's what usually causes all of the problems.
I live on a 7-home cul-de-sac and, some years ago, my neighbor directly across from me appointed himself the "code Nazi". He regularly reported neighbors for any little thing.
The one that sent me over the top was when I had my '83 Hurst Olds parked in my driveway with expired tags. It was backed in and covered with a car cover so you couldn't even see the license plates. We returned home after being out of town for a week and the car was gone. I immediately called the police thinking it had been stolen, but was told they received a complaint about storing a non-registered car in my driveway. It had been towed and was scheduled to be crushed. I jumped through a lot of hoops getting it back.
The thing that really angered me was that he never spoke to me directly about it - he just waited until we were out of town to have it towed.
Thankfully he moved back to Ohio several years later. I'm sure he's now a problem in his new neighborhood.

I live on a 7-home cul-de-sac and, some years ago, my neighbor directly across from me appointed himself the "code Nazi". He regularly reported neighbors for any little thing.
The one that sent me over the top was when I had my '83 Hurst Olds parked in my driveway with expired tags. It was backed in and covered with a car cover so you couldn't even see the license plates. We returned home after being out of town for a week and the car was gone. I immediately called the police thinking it had been stolen, but was told they received a complaint about storing a non-registered car in my driveway. It had been towed and was scheduled to be crushed. I jumped through a lot of hoops getting it back.
The thing that really angered me was that he never spoke to me directly about it - he just waited until we were out of town to have it towed.
Thankfully he moved back to Ohio several years later. I'm sure he's now a problem in his new neighborhood.

that would be a dead neighbor...

A few years ago, the mayor had some out of town people coming in, posted a thing in the paper all yards had to be mowed, trash picked up, non running , expired tagged cars had to be in a garage, well I look out the window and a tow truck is hooking up my duster, I go out to tell him he better drop my car or he better be ready to get his *** stomped, cop walks up behind me and tells me the car is being impounded for no tags, ( someone stole my tags that night) I showed him my current paper work, and told him the tags was on the car when I drove it home, the bastard made me pay the driver $45.00 to tow the car behind my house so I could put it in the garage.

Maybe that is what the "moved to Ohio" meant.

lol

A few years ago, the mayor had some out of town people coming in, posted a thing in the paper all yards had to be mowed, trash picked up, non running , expired tagged cars had to be in a garage, well I look out the window and a tow truck is hooking up my duster, I go out to tell him he better drop my car or he better be ready to get his *** stomped, cop walks up behind me and tells me the car is being impounded for no tags, ( someone stole my tags that night) I showed him my current paper work, and told him the tags was on the car when I drove it home, the bastard made me pay the driver $45.00 to tow the car behind my house so I could put it in the garage.

nice thing living in county is were nice and lax, not that the yard is full of cars (just dailies) but if I want to leave the 68 out, im going to. if I catch someone trying to steal, tow, or anything else its not going to go over well... :violent1:

Many of us bring this kind of crap on ourselves. A little housekeeping wouldn't hurt, and in many cases will save you money and inconvenience.

If you want to live in a house that looks as though it was built in the center of a scrap yard, great, but there is a cost to that, too. At some point in time, sooner or later, someone is going to pitch a ***** about it. It might be a neighbor, or it might be someone who lives miles from you, but within the same country.

Is it any of their business? Well, that depends. Is your lake of pride in your property affecting their property value? If the answer to that question is yes, than, it is their business, as it has a direct and costly affect on their property. BTW, no matter what you think of the neighbor, the law, or the local government agency, you are the one causing the issue, you are the one being the "bad neighbor". Most won't see it that way, but, that doesn't change the fact, any.

What about drivers by who complain? Is your mess their concern? Probably not, but, if they report it, and if you are in violation of a county ordnance, it really doesn't matter. The damage is done. Some one from the county is going to visit you, and, most likely, write you a citation.

Code Nazies? Don't give them a reason, and there won't be a problem.

The fact is, in cases like this, it's almost always the "collectors" fault that the authorities were brought into the issue. Either because of the usual, "It's my yard and I'll keep it my way", or some other false bravado BS. The fact is, as a property owner or renter, you have a responsibility to maintain the propert in an oderly fashion comensorate with the state, county and local codes. If you don't, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. ...and that's not a badge of honor, either.

If you disagree with the code then fight to have it changed or relaxed, legally. That's the only way you can win in the long run.

Many of us bring this kind of crap on ourselves.
Is it any of their business? Well, that depends. Is your lake of pride in your property affecting their property value? If the answer to that question is yes, than, it is their business, as it has a direct and costly affect on their property. .

That's what real estate agents are for.
Is my pink house giving them pink eye?
Move.

Cars are sacred.

That "Code Nazi" would have a major payback coming if your Hurst Olds would've got crushed.

If you disagree with the code then fight to have it changed or relaxed, legally. That's the only way you can win in the long run.

Give that a try and let us know how that works out for ya. If a code, ordinance or law is a significant source of revenue, there's no way they're going to change it.

Meanwhile, how can anyone justify coming on your land and stealing your belongings? If you are in violation, the municipality must send a letter stating the offense and give you the opportunity to correct it yourself before they take action. Codes or no codes, they can't just show up and take what belongs to you off your property, especially on the whim of some a-hole neighbor.

Many of us bring this kind of crap on ourselves. A little housekeeping wouldn't hurt, and in many cases will save you money and inconvenience.

If you want to live in a house that looks as though it was built in the center of a scrap yard, great, but there is a cost to that, too. At some point in time, sooner or later, someone is going to pitch a ***** about it. It might be a neighbor, or it might be someone who lives miles from you, but within the same country.

Is it any of their business? Well, that depends. Is your lake of pride in your property affecting their property value? If the answer to that question is yes, than, it is their business, as it has a direct and costly affect on their property. BTW, no matter what you think of the neighbor, the law, or the local government agency, you are the one causing the issue, you are the one being the "bad neighbor". Most won't see it that way, but, that doesn't change the fact, any.

What about drivers by who complain? Is your mess their concern? Probably not, but, if they report it, and if you are in violation of a county ordnance, it really doesn't matter. The damage is done. Some one from the county is going to visit you, and, most likely, write you a citation.

Code Nazies? Don't give them a reason, and there won't be a problem.

The fact is, in cases like this, it's almost always the "collectors" fault that the authorities were brought into the issue. Either because of the usual, "It's my yard and I'll keep it my way", or some other false bravado BS. The fact is, as a property owner or renter, you have a responsibility to maintain the propert in an oderly fashion comensorate with the state, county and local codes. If you don't, YOU ARE THE PROBLEM. ...and that's not a badge of honor, either.

I gotta agree with that.

Knew a guy the always bitched about getting citations from his town. Then you would drive by his house and see the grass waist high in a residential area. I had to side with the neighbors and township on a case like that.

If you are out in the sticks and the neighbors are a quarter mile away it's a different story.

The olds story is screwed up if no info was left out. If it's under cover I don't see anyone having the right to pull the cover up and check the tag. But why was the tag expired anyway. Could have saved a ton Of billshit by just registering the damn thing.

Give that a try and let us know how that works out for ya. If a code, ordinance or law is a significant source of revenue, there's no way they're going to change it.

I have, and it worked. It wasn't about trashing a neighborhood, or a block, though. It was about letting inner city children getting some play time during the summer with opened water hydrants. It used to be against the law. PERIOD. Now, under supervision and with a permit, hydrants can be opened with a sprinkler added to it for children to play in under Supervision, and on streets that have been closed to traffic on prearranged and scheduled days and times.

Meanwhile, how can anyone justify coming on your land and stealing your belongings?

No one justifies theft. PERIOD.

If you are in violation, the municipality must send a letter stating the offense and give you the opportunity to correct it yourself before they take action. Codes or no codes, they can't just show up and take what belongs to you off your property, especially on the whim of some a-hole neighbor.

I've never even heard of a town, city, or country doing that. Most likely notification was sent and either, accidentally discarded, or just ignored. Citizens of most municipalities, and counties are protected from such abuse. However, even if they screw up, that doesn't excuse the violation, and you are still required to comply with code. One screw up doesn't amount to a pass for code violation. You have a civic duty to keep up your end of the bargain.

Remember, if you are in violation of code, you are the problem, not the person making the complaint. You might not like that, and come up with so anti-social rhetoric about what your gonna do, but the bottom line is you are the one causing the violation, no one else. At that point it's time to get over the baby-crap and man up.

I have a pretty good collection o f crap, myself, but I don't use it as lawn art because or code. As a result everything is indoors. Either in my garages, my shop, or a storage facility.

Whether you live in a gated neighborhood or out in the county, there is probably a code that applies to you. Whether you've gotten cited for a code violation or not, if you are in violation, you are subject to whatever consequence is slated. If you are cited, it's your fault. Not the person making the complaint, not the authority acting on the complaint. It's you.

I have, and it worked. It wasn't about trashing a neighborhood, or a block, though. It was about letting inner city children getting some play time during the summer with opened water hydrants. It used to be against the law. PERIOD.

That's right, because the fire hydrant isn't a source of revenue for the city and I'm sure some politician got his name in the paper because "he" helped the kids.

The first paragraph of the FAQ the OP attached proves my point. Allow me to translate: "Due to the poor economy and terrible housing market, the county is receiving less tax revenue so we are going to enforce every little code violation and issue fines to make up the difference."

If you are cited, it's your fault. Not the person making the complaint, not the authority acting on the complaint. It's you.

Agreed, however, two members above stated that their cars got towed with no mention of a citation.

I'm sure if ocdart received a citation, knowing what a prick his neighbor is, he would have either registered the car or moved it someplace else. Instead, it seems like his neighbor made a complaint, and the town simply came and took the car with intentions to crush it without issuing a citation first, all while he was away! Without due process on the part of the town, that's THEFT!

Agreed, however, two members above stated that their cars got towed with no mention of a citation.
I'm sure if ocdart received a citation, knowing what a prick his neighbor is, he would have either registered the car or moved it someplace else. Instead, it seems like his neighbor made a complaint, and the town simply came and took the car with intentions to crush it without issuing a citation first, all while he was away! Without due process on the part of the town, that's THEFT!

I'm not questioning anyone's integrity here, and IF that's what happened than it certainly is theft. However, I have never, in my 64 years on this planet, heard of a municipality towing a vehicle from private property without some sort of (repeated) notification, or court order.
That said, If the car is on public property, there is no need for notification. it can be towed simply for being an unregistered on public property, whether it's a public parking lot or a public street or road. Even a registered vehicle can be legally towed from public property if neighbors complain that it has not been moved in a given period of time. Even if the owner is known, a registered vehicle that has not been moved in a pre-determined period of time can be towed as abandoned, and the owner charged for the towing and storage. The length of time is the gray area in that case, and usually if the owner takes it to court, the judge will side with the municipality in a case like that.

As I stated earlier, usually if something like this happens there is some sort of misunderstand, or miscommunication somewhere. Either the papers were lost in the mail and never delivered to the site, or they were delivered and accidentally misplaced or discarded, or they were simply ignored.

I'm not saying that the municipality didn't screw up, either. Those here who know me know that I'm the last guy to defend government over the people.

There seems to be something missing from that puzzle.

The front of your home should not look like Sanford and Son.

That's for the back......:D

Exactly. California has specific vehicle codes that attempt to protect collector/parts cars, but, the local statutes sometimes take precedence which sucks. One nice thing is that code enforcement here can't step foot on your property to inspect. If they can't see it from the street, they are **** out of luck.

As long as it's parked in accordance with local codes, they can't say anything. HOA's try and they usually lose when pushed into court when attempting to enforce rules stricter than the local prevailing codes.

Exactly. California has specific vehicle codes that attempt to protect collector/parts cars, but, the local statutes sometimes take precedence which sucks. One nice thing is that code enforcement here can't step foot on your property to inspect. If they can't see it from the street, they are **** out of luck.

As long as it's parked in accordance with local codes, they can't say anything. HOA's try and they usually lose when pushed into court when attempting to enforce rules stricter than the local prevailing codes.

Precisely. The codes exist for the benefit of everyone, If you're in violation, it's your responsibility to correct it. If you're not in violation, there's no issue to be had. It's really that simple.

All cars appear to have to be “registered” if they are in a residential district.
No matter what.
The thread needs to be moved to politics.
And follow the money.
A shame, because we won’t get as much feedback from other about their codes on that item.

With apologies to Neal Boortz, everyone is not as “fortunate” as Frankie and able to have their cars indoors.
And Crackeback is “fortunate” to live somewhere that cars not visible from the street are immune from attack.

“Is it any of their business? Well, that depends. Is your lake of pride in your property affecting their property value? If the answer to that question is yes, than, it is their business, as it has a direct and costly affect on their property.”

AH HA! When it affects his wallet, the socialist, collectivist argument comes out.:poke:
Mods, can we move this to the political forum where it probably belongs and where Frankie lives?
In other words, if my Valiant devalues my neighbor's Hemi I have to get rid of my property because the majority has a code.
Not a perfect analogy, but an analogy nonetheless.
Do I have that correct?
Issues of health and safety excluded.

“..for the benefit of everyone.”
Sounds like something that came from, well I won't say, political person.
And what’s wrong with Sanford and Son?
(See previous sentence)
Aesthetics is in the eye of he beholder. One man’s trash.

-
Back