Have you ever screwed up and bought a part without seeing if it fit?

-

Oklacarcollecto

Life is an experiment
Reaction score
I bought something from another long time member on here that knows his stuff and when the box came in I looked at the items and saw there was a noticeable variation. Ok, dual use so I thought it would be no biggy and I put the items up for several months. Today I went to put them on the car and they fit totally something different. I am not going to get specific but these are items that all look similar and are aftermarket.

I am kicking myself in the butt for not checking them out as soon as I got the items but I didn't because it would require some work on my car and my bad back just wasn't up to it. You all may recall that there was a time I was doing all the tests and making all the trips to Tulsa to the doctor. I bought these during that time. I was also trying to buy something else the seller had.

I am not blaming the seller because he simply made a mistake so that is why this information is so generic so there can be no hard feelings and no taking sides. I have contacted him to see if he is willing to do anything but it has been a long time and I will understand if he doesn't want to. I am simply hoping that he screwed up and sent me the wrong thing that he had put up to use for on something else and accidently shipped the wrong ones.

The moral of the story here is to check out your items when you get them and don't be an idiot like me.

just bought a heater box for my car n had to cut part of the firewall for the core tubes to pass through, but o well i have heat

even being for my car still didnt size up right

bought a set of tie rod ends for both sides of my 69 satellite 20 years ago....went to put them on and they wouldnt go...I was like wth?? I butchered the threads on them trying to put them on. Boxes were labelled properly...prev owner put outsides in and insides out...doh!! Canadian Tire took them back too!!LOL

bought a set of tie rod ends for both sides of my 69 satellite 20 years ago....went to put them on and they wouldnt go...I was like wth?? I butchered the threads on them trying to put them on. Boxes were labelled properly...prev owner put outsides in and insides out...doh!! Canadian Tire took them back too!!LOL

I can't believe I was so stupid and now looking I can see the fact that they won't fit. It is plain as the nose on your face. I broke one of my rules by buying something without a picture to start with.

i drove 58 miles to get a perfect rear bumper ,taillight harness and fillers for my charger. thinking that i knew it all about these cars, i was 100% confident that the 75-77 cordobas would interchange with the 75-77 charger SEs, and i didnt bother to note any details. the guy let me wonder the yard and choose which car i wanted to tear into. when i got back home after paying the guy 250 bucks for the parts, i go to bolt them on and WHOA NELLY, not a single part was right. they physically bolted on,but were completely wrong as the doba bumper is completely different where it meets the taillights, as were the fillers,and the harness is a different design as well.i was pissed! so i called the guy and told him what a dumbass i was and that i didnt do my homework, he laughed at me and HE told ME what a dumdass i was, then told me to bring all the parts back and he would let me "shop" for another 250 bucks worth of whatever i wanted. great guy, so even though i made an *** out of myself, i admitted it to him and he found it so humorous that he let me bring the parts back run amuck and pull any parts i wanted

I bought a nice heater delete dash bezel listed for a 72 Duster thinking it would fit my '73 dash. Nope.

Not sure if it was listed wrong or if I'm not the all-knowing genius I think I am. Anyway, its for sale.

Twice so far. I bought some slash shields off of ebay thinking they were te rea fender shields. Turned out to be the shields the bolt to the frame rail for a slant six starter (i beleive) either way totaly my screw up. The other was a set of wheel well trim I bought from Laysons. I picked them up one year when they were here for Monster Mopar. They were packaged as a set. Bought them and threw them on a shelf. Several years later I pulled them out to see how they fit the new quarters and found I had 3 fronts and 1 rear.:banghead: I will say though that I mentioned it to Rick in an email and he was willing to send me the correct one if I sent him back the double. I should have checked them when I picked them up.

not me, but my brother bought me a set of stripes for my Duster on ebay-laid them out and thought they looked odd- turned out they're '73 stripes.

I guess they'd 'fit', though.

Bought a grill for the Fairlane, parts for a 64 can be somewhat tough to find. Got it during the Christmas rush with the Post Office, 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 24 days. Kind of forgot about it. Following spring another grill showed up. Apparently the seller shipped me a Galaxy grill buy mistake & when he realized it he sent me the right one & told me to keep the wrong one...

Bought a grill for the Fairlane, parts for a 64 can be somewhat tough to find. Got it during the Christmas rush with the Post Office, 12 hours a day 7 days a week for 24 days. Kind of forgot about it. Following spring another grill showed up. Apparently the seller shipped me a Galaxy grill buy mistake & when he realized it he sent me the right one & told me to keep the wrong one...

That was a stand up seller.

I remember when I first started buying on eBay back in 1999. Picture hosting sucked and some sellers didn't bother with pictures. I was collecting 1920's tire gauges. A seller auction stated a antique brass tire gauge so I bought it. I ended up with a modern tire gauge that did have a brass tube with a plastic head where you put it on the valve stem and a plastic measuring stick. Well it was brass but not antique. Since then I normally won't buy without pictures and after these I remember why I made this rule.

just spent the day taking out a set of "pro" seats to put in a set of the summit "sport"seats only to find out,,,,,wait for it,,,,,,,,,the seats hit my roll cage. Bought the seats last winter while they were on sell. Oh well,,,,,,,,,more modifications {sigh}

Yup,just bought a set of hooker elite series B body headers in the hopes they will fit my Dart. They are non A body headers,but a member here used em in an A body app and they fit.

So yes,havent tried to see if they will work,plus wrong application! Oh well,if they dont I'll hack em till they do! A bfh helps too...

Yup,just bought a set of hooker elite series B body headers in the hopes they will fit my Dart. They are non A body headers,but a member here used em in an A body app and they fit.

So yes,havent tried to see if they will work,plus wrong application! Oh well,if they dont I'll hack em till they do! A bfh helps too...
yep. i pulled the small block hooker headers off of my charger and they bolted up and fit perfect in my duster also with a small block.

I paid a reputable member here a good sum for a 22" fan shroud for my 69 barracuda and couldn't find any way to make it fit lol. Of course now I have switched to a Champion Rad and there is no way to use it at all but I can't bring myself to sell it , cost me too much to charge another member what I've got in it doh!

I paid a reputable member here a good sum for a 22" fan shroud for my 69 barracuda and couldn't find any way to make it fit lol. Of course now I have switched to a Champion Rad and there is no way to use it at all but I can't bring myself to sell it , cost me too much to charge another member what I've got in it doh!

I wonder if we bought from that same reputable member?

Not as much with car parts, but in the process of renovationg my house I must have a full shopping cart of electrical, plumbing, hardware and miscellaneous stuff that if I actually could find a receipt and be bothered standing in line to return would probably add up to a small chunk of change.

Grant

I just bought a 300 disk Sony CD/DVD changer so I could store all my discs and keep it nice and tight. Measured the width, height and depth from the users manual. Yeah, it should just barely fit my cabinet. Got it and it wont fit through the door of the cabinet! Hahaha, what a oversight! Looks like Ill have to operate on the front of the cabinet now. Waiting for the wife to go to work.....

I just bought a 300 disk Sony CD/DVD changer so I could store all my discs and keep it nice and tight. Measured the width, height and depth from the users manual. Yeah, it should just barely fit my cabinet. Got it and it wont fit through the door of the cabinet! Hahaha, what a oversight! Looks like Ill have to operate on the front of the cabinet now. Waiting for the wife to go to work.....
I've done that a couple of times over the years doh especially with appliances ,you would think a finish carpenter would remember how wide his front door is eh lol

I wonder if we bought from that same reputable member?
I don't know but it is totally my fault as it is a real OE shroud and the #s say it's for a 22 inch rad but I had a little rad that was barely 18"s at the time {318 } and now with the stroker I needed a 3 core aluminum rad so it's collecting dust.

Not me, but every auto parts store in town.

A few years back I had a 1985 2.3L Turbo Diesel Engine & 5-Speed (from a Dodge D50) in my '84 D50 and tried to order a replacement Slave Cylinder.

They sent me clutch cables, and after calling them back and informing them. Napa, Advance, Car Quest and Federated all told me there was no such thing as a Slave Cylinder for a 2.3L D50 (1983 - 1985 only).

I ended up ordering a Slave for an '89 Mazda B2600 instead. Fast Forward to this year, they finally list the Slave for the 2.3L D50 (after I had yanked my 2.5L Intercooled engine, which is a 2.3L with a longer stroke)

so the rad shroud is not sellers fault!.lol you just did not have correct rad to begin with, then went to a aluminum.lol. yea, that sucks when that happens.

oclacarclooeco, hey, i wouln not have minded if you put my name in here!
i try to be a stand up guy. i have sold alot of parts, and is hard to make all buyers happy!.
when you asked me for them in my sale thread, i told you i would send them out, and if if you were not happy, just send them back, before you even sent money!. i am just getting your pm's also, so i see your point.
i am easy to deal with. you should know that!i know you are also, and i am of my word. ! send them back. ill refund all the money. no problem at all. they were in the trunk of a sbp duster, and also had lbp tires that came with car. so, that lead me to think they were for the car!. wow, was i wrong!. i know it has been a while, but no worries, just pm me the paypal and ill send refund!.

i also want to thank you for NOT making it seem like anyone was out to rob you, as you know i was not. **** happens.

shoot. i had a set of keysones on the front of the pink duster,a nd sold them on here just a few weeks ago, and took them to get tires taken off, and shipped them out to the mid-west................now to find out they were not bbp but yet 4.75!
shoot, they were on the duster with those adaprters also on it, and .... now thinking about it!, maybe when i get the two adapters back from you, ill have four of i do not know of what kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am sorry for the hassle, and glad to refund! i cannot win them all!. and if you want, keep them, and try to sell them,a nd you keep the change for the hassle! plot

-
Back