have you ever seen a $100,000 Duece

-
I love that red 68 Satellite convertible. My first car was a red 68 Satellite convertible with a gallon of bondo and $100 red paint job and blankets covering the seats. In my 14 year old mind it looked just like that car in the show! It was re-delivered to the bone yard a year later when some chick swerved to miss a cat and plowed into it at 35mph. I found that car a few years ago when looking for Barracuda parts in a junkyard, seeing those picts makes me wonder if I should buy it back.
Congrats on the trophy BTW.

i'll bet he has 100k in that car. not that hard at all to do when you're talking complete custom.. just looking at the picture its obvious its not a back yard build... just look at the paint.. i'll bet body and paint cost at the minimum 10k on that car.. the interior. thats no stock legendary crap. the motor if built properly has quite a bit into it.. the chrome, the suspension (highly doubt its stock style) the wheels,tires.. etc..etc...etc.. then you add to that the labor that it took... i'll bet he that car could easily cost $100k to have built..

and being called duce has been common on those cars for as long as i can remember.. guess its because of the chevy II thing..

sucs_1103_14_o%2Bsuper_chevy_show_at_gateway_international_raceway%2Bdeuce_row.jpg

Like I said in the beginning, I questioned the amount because he told us he did all the work on it except the paint. If he had farmed all the work out I would have no problem believing it. I would not have been able to finish mine if someone did the work. Labor on these cars would kill it. My son paints at a body shop and he was in awe over the paint on the car. the flames on it was hand painted according to the owner. My son told me he had to have over $10,000 in paint. I thought he would have received " Best in show", it was good enough. But anyway, I have not seen too many $100,000 cars. LS-300, the show was in Versailles, Indiana. not far from Cincy. It was probably one of the better shows I been to. And Brad, I want to tell you that you guys did a wonderful job on the judging. I hope to see you all at the next show over in Indiana.

I thought he would have received " Best in show", it was good enough.

never know who is judging. half those guys don't know every single type of car and the little custom differences to actually judge fairly.

Brad, I want to tell you that you guys did a wonderful job on the judging. I hope to see you all at the next show over in Indiana.

Thanks.

I'll be at the Rising Sun in a couple weeks. I'll try to remember to stop by and say hello. I'll make sure somebody else judges your car though, so nobody can claim favortism. Once again, congratulations!

never know who is judging. half those guys don't know every single type of car and the little custom differences to actually judge fairly.

Actually Joe, I don't know how other shows are done, but for both of the shows we judge we are given very specific guidelines for judging. We are trained by experienced judges and not allowed to judge cars by ourselves until we demonstrate to the experienced judges that we are prepared for the responsibility. Usually you judge with an experienced judge most of the day, if not the entire day, your first time.

well I have to commend the judges Brad. you did a great job. I may be at Rising Sun. It depends on some of the Ky shows.

so what are the guidelines? you guys are all experts in every type of car built and any mods that may or may not be done.. what won best of show over that car??

the problem with all makes shows is there is no one that can fairly judge all the types of cars that can/will show up. everyone has a certain car that catches their eye a little more, every car is different and there are subtle things that can and are customized on different make/model cars that a lot of guys will never pick up on. the best modifications out there are the ones you don't know are there because they make it look like the car was built like that originally. thats all i'm saying..

so what are the guidelines? you guys are all experts in every type of car built and any mods that may or may not be done.. what won best of show over that car??

the problem with all makes shows is there is no one that can fairly judge all the types of cars that can/will show up. everyone has a certain car that catches their eye a little more, every car is different and there are subtle things that can and are customized on different make/model cars that a lot of guys will never pick up on. the best modifications out there are the ones you don't know are there because they make it look like the car was built like that originally. thats all i'm saying..

I am only speaking for this show, as the guidelines can be different for every show, but this show looks at body, paint, trim, windows, lights, tires, wheels, trunk, interior, dash, engine, engine bay, and overall presentation. There may be more sections; I'm going from memory. All of the areas break down even further, e.g., dash breaks down to instrument panel and heater/air conditioning controls. Each area is judged for condition and cleanliness.

I do not know what won best of show as I left as soon as I finished my judging responsibilities; maybe Bill knows. As I mentioned in a previous post, there are bonus points for those that make it to the final judging. That vehicle was not able to receive all of the bonus points as it did not have the required items. However, the show participants know what the bonus items are before their cars are judged. This particular show has final judging bonuses for cleanliness and condition of undercarriage and wether or not the vehicle includes a tool kit, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, and flashlight.

Nobody in my club ever claimed to be experts in all brands. We do not create the guidelines; we are provided guidelines and we judge to those guidelines.

I say "To each their own!" I enjoy looking at the high dollar cars that people build. I am building my Duster to be a clean nice driver. I couldn't justify putting $100K into a car but some people can. Just a difference of priorities I guess!!!!

It is a beautiful car though!

I've heard the term, but it takes a few catalog images in my mind in the conversation, before I'm on the same page when I'm talking to someone about a Chev. II

$100k easy.

Colorado charges about 35k on a rotisserie body/ paint. That's where they start. Some go up to $80k (likely custom body fab work, there.) That gets you a complete shell and front end.

You forget how much work can go into it until you see the under side painted, gaps controlled perfectly, firewalls shaved and all that business.

Cars like that are built, test fitted, completely torn back down, painted and reassembled. Ask me how I know.

I've heard of $90k Dodge Demons that I've seen in person. Hard figure to swallow until you try to pick it apart and can't. Then you start breaking it all down in your head and begin to see how.

That guy didn't do all the work on the interior, unless he is an owner of an upholstery shop with a lot of experience. The '59 Dodge that painted and put a 6.1 AEM controlled hemi into went out to an upholstery shop and looked like *** when we got it back at $6k. Vinyl on the inside of the trunk velcro install, weighed down the decklid so that it wouldn't stay open, no piping, paint flaking on door handles... Oh yeah, and they ran something into the pass side fender trim and "fixed" it for me. They "fixed" it so well, that it is in need of replacing. I could have put it back to shape and sent it through a few rounds on the polisher, but it's stretched beyond reasonable repair, now, over a replacement core part to work on.

59-dodge.jpg
59-dodge-engine-bay.jpg

Good work isn't cheap anymore, unless you are in the biz. That's just how things are, now.

Wow! A big congratulations for taking home The best Mopar, and enjoying a great day with
that cool MoPar :cheers:

Here in my area we call the chevy II A Douse also, even if it is not a true Douse

I've heard the term, but it takes a few catalog images in my mind in the conversation, before I'm on the same page when I'm talking to someone about a Chev. II

$100k easy.

Colorado charges about 35k on a rotisserie body/ paint. That's where they start. Some go up to $80k (likely custom body fab work, there.) That gets you a complete shell and front end.

You forget how much work can go into it until you see the under side painted, gaps controlled perfectly, firewalls shaved and all that business.

Cars like that are built, test fitted, completely torn back down, painted and reassembled. Ask me how I know.

I've heard of $90k Dodge Demons that I've seen in person. Hard figure to swallow until you try to pick it apart and can't. Then you start breaking it all down in your head and begin to see how.

That guy didn't do all the work on the interior, unless he is an owner of an upholstery shop with a lot of experience. The '59 Dodge that painted and put a 6.1 AEM controlled hemi into went out to an upholstery shop and looked like *** when we got it back at $6k. Vinyl on the inside of the trunk velcro install, weighed down the decklid so that it wouldn't stay open, no piping, paint flaking on door handles... Oh yeah, and they ran something into the pass side fender trim and "fixed" it for me. They "fixed" it so well, that it is in need of replacing. I could have put it back to shape and sent it through a few rounds on the polisher, but it's stretched beyond reasonable repair, now, over a replacement core part to work on.

59-dodge.jpg
59-dodge-engine-bay.jpg

Good work isn't cheap anymore, unless you are in the biz. That's just how things are, now.
Wow what a beauty-is that a Studebaker in the background?

well, it is like I said earlier. I usually take people at their word until it gets to the point it becomes unbelievable to me. He told us he did all the work except for the paint. he told us he did all the body work also. He told us he worked at a CNC machine shop for 40 years. he told us he owned 8 machine shops. now if I owned 8 shops, the last thing I would be doing is doing body work on a car. I would have taken it somewhere and said" fix it and paint it right. cost is no problem". he didn't look like the kind of guy to get down and dirty if you know what I mean. If he did take it and let other people do all the work, I can believe he has that much in it. BUT...... if he did ALL the work except painting it, I don't know if I believe the $100,000. Sometimes you hear a lot of stories at car shows. By the way, I believe a Camaro won " Best in show". I was getting ready to haul *** when I heard the announcement. I wanted to get home (75 miles away) before the rain came. I didn't make it either. now the Duster goes back on jackstands this week and gets another cleaning underneath.

Will take the 66 Charger, over that Ugly Chevy II. Or Deuce as you call it. Why do guys WASTE thousands of dollars trying to modernize and old classic. I never did get that.

1970Duster, i'd have to disagree with you, Barracuda=A-Body, Cuda=E-Body!!!!! 2 different animal all together!!!!!

with 1970Duster, i'd have to disagree you, Barracuda=A-Body, Cuda=E-Body!!!!! 2 different animal all together!!!!!

No disrespect, but not correct. Barracuda is E-body after 69. That is what he was referring to; 70 and later E-body Barracudas and Cudas.

Couple of Observations.

1. This hobby ain't cheap. 100K into a car, not too hard to do. 100K doesn't go as far as you'd think, especially if you live in Southern California or other high cost states. 10K for paint, 5K for interior, 8K for a fairly mild motor. 25K in a Gen II Hemi is not unusual. Must say I'd be hard pressed to spend 25K on a SBC.

2. People lie. I did it all myself except the paint. Really? You stitched the interior? Okay so I didn't do the interior. You set up that Ford 9"? Well no, I bought it assembled from Curry. You welded in the subframe connectors? Um, no I sent it to a chassis shop for that. You built the transmission? Um no, ordered it from TCI. You get the idea, even a guy trying to be truthful is probably full of crap.

3. NO ONE CALLS A CHEVY II a DEUCE. Jesus, Chevy freaks do you have to steal EVERYTHING.

I pride myself on doing a lot of work myself, but there are limits to my time, tools, and abilities. For every guy that can paint his own car, is a guy who can't build his own motor and vice a versa.

I created a dream build list for my Dart and came up with 40K in parts, if I then paid someone to do ALL the work, I'd easy be in the 100K region, and my dream Dart had essentially a completely stock appearance except for the wheels and tires. So a lot of custom body and paint work can really up the price. So if this guy didn't do any work, I'd say 100K is easy. If he did a lot fo the assembly and mechanical work, 60K might be a reasonable number.

Where does the truth lie? Who knows, but as a betting man. I'd put the number north of 60K. Which is a lot of money for a 60s era economy car.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I'm sure he has 100K in that car. He probably turned not one single bolt on it himself. And there's nothing wrong with that. Cars like that are not my cup of tea, but he must like it and that's all that counts.

-
Back