Header exhaust leak - help!

-

solracmopar

Reaction score
I have an exhaust leak coming from the center ports of my heads on the header side. Was wondering if anyone on here has any feedback on what gaskets they like, bolt length etc..

My motor is a 318 with the swirl port heads. I'm running Dougs headers and ARP 5/16 - .075 length. I recently tried Mr Gasket Ultra seals but still a leak. Recently heard about Remflex gaskets but seems like mixed reviews.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 468
Remflex,thicker, more crush. Used them,on my 408,recommend them. Check out ,the Percy's aluminum header gaskets. Re-useable,and then some. Soft aluminium,. .100-.125 thick. Food,for thought.

You need to look real close at your header in that area. I thing it's the weld on the header surface Not, the gasket that's your problem.

I had a set of Hooker comp headers that i had to have my buddy mig weld a bead on several ports and used a long auto body file board, with 36 grit paper to get them to seal. It took a long time sanding on them and several pieces of 36. but it sealed good after that!
Just throwing a few strokes with a file board will show your imperfections.

Remflex,thicker, more crush. Used them,on my 408,recommend them. Check out ,the Percy's aluminum header gaskets. Re-useable,and then some. Soft aluminium,. .100-.125 thick. Food,for thought.

I agree, That's top of the line stuff right there.....

Was gonna post something else, but I see that the leak is at the top, so nevermind :D.

That looks like a 308/ Magnum exhaust port. The Percy's, could be ground to match.Or order,the matching,Mr Gasket number.

Like Cudafever says, check the welds with a file, sometimes I've had to put more weld in[ on the cheaper headers,Hedman,blackjacks mostly], and then put a straight edge across em all.

Ok, I'll throw this in the mix. Are the flanges themselves flat? I mean did you try a flat edge and check from front to back to see if their square? If the center is a high spot, meaning there is air between the flat edge and the flange, that could be the problem.

I've had this set of Dougs for about a year now, first on the LA heads and more recently on the 308's (non magnum). The heads were match ported , shaved and polished. Never a problem until recently. Not sure why the flanges would arch being it they sat on a shelf for 3 months while my motor was being built.

I do think its worth pulling them off again to see if there's a high or low spot. I'll take a closer look at the Percy's but may go with the Remflex. I like the idea of running a thicker gasket.

I appreciate all the feedback.

Would the gold zinc stuff do any good or just burn off? Sucks that its weeping just enough on the top to really get my attention!

Just looking at the pic (had to stand on my head) just kidding, it looks like the impression is pretty good until you get to the top of the ports. Definitely check for straightness. A good metal straight edge can be your friend here.

Remflex gaskets will be a big plus as well.

Notice the areas circled in red, little to no impression from the header tube.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 416
Have you put the gasket up to the head to see if it is even extending to the head surface? I have a set of CPPA headers on my Dart that gave me a fit trying to get them to seal. I finally tried Percy"s and they work great. been like 4 years now and no problem. I agree also to check the mating surface and make sure they are flat.

Headed to the man cave tomorrow with a straight edge. While I'm there I can try putting the gaskets up to the head to see if they cover enough and will see how straight those expensive Dougs headers actually are.

Just to verify, are these the Percy's I should be looking at? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/php-66037

Here are some better (straight) detailed shots of the weep.

Attachments

• DSC01942.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 443
  • DSC01946.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 437
Try 2 Mr gasket 353's, and dab them header bolts with hi-temp rtv so they don't back out. The full proof way to deal with it is to take the headers and run them on a belt sander to true them up, but that means you have to pull them out, and take them somewhere, which sucks...

Took the headers off, set a straight edge on them and sure enough the middle ports have a gap in them on both sides! Off to the machine shop now..

I was gonna say next that treat the header flange like you would a head, meaning in this case start the tightening sequence from the inside and work your way out. Of course torqueing them.

I use Remflex gaskets and Stage 8 header bolts. No leaks, not once

Took the headers off, set a straight edge on them and sure enough the middle ports have a gap in them on both sides! Off to the machine shop now..

*Double pistol salute to the sky.* :D

I'd think Doug's would be above a wavy flange? I guess not, tisk tisk.

That looks like a 308/ Magnum exhaust port. The Percy's, could be ground to match.Or order,the matching,Mr Gasket number.

That's what I did with mine. No problem cutting them with my tin snips. I'm actually using 2 sets and have a leak free seal for the first time (at the head flange anyway, the collectors are another story). These Summit headers leaked from the beginning, using Mr Gasket Ulta Seals.

*Double pistol salute to the sky.* :D

I'd think Doug's would be above a wavy flange? I guess not, tisk tisk.

For what I paid for those Dougs you'd think they'd be wave free! The flange itself is 3/8 thick which is even more surprising they warped.

Took them to a local machine shop today and should have em back tomorrow. Ready to hear that Lunati cam :blob:

-
Back