Header exhaust leak - help!

-
We ALL are anxiously awaiting to hear the rumble. If you can, a video would sure be nice! LOL. But if you can't, an explanation that all is well will be good news indeed! Thanks for the update.

If h2O comes out header bolt holes only 2 fixes one clean very good and fill with j&B weld then recut threads .2 is tap it to next size bolt that will not leak under running temp . Heat and expansion. Under pressure shows all leaks good luck

i recomend percys i used just mr gasket felpro whatever for a hile and they always leaked then i stepped up to those and have not looked back a little bit more coin but worth it imo

Well ok so it looks like some how the head or manifold has had some surface loss I would check with straight edge if all is good loosen up exhaust pipe flange or remove pressure off of header so accurate tightening can be done . gasket matching to head surface would also help my 440/2"supercomp headers did same thing flange had twisted so doubled gasket .

Guys I hate to report this but I STILL have a leak. Ended up getting my headers back from the machine shop, straight as an arrow.. got the Percy's and installed them. After all said and done the car sat until tonight. The leak is I'd say 75% gone but still enough to twist my tittie.

I've heard some guys use red or orange rtv but I picked up this stuff called quick steel, supposedly withstands up to 2400f. Not sure if I should try this or give the REMFLEX gaskets a go.

Video coming soon.

Did you try to re tighten the bolts after it was hot? Next take them back off, the gaskets, and see where it is leaking.

Did you try to re tighten the bolts after it was hot? Next take them back off, the gaskets, and see where it is leaking.

Yeah I re tightened the bolts when I got the car home. Had about a quarter turn on the middle ports which is where its coming from. Strange thing is on the passenger side - no leaks. Only on the drivers side and only on the inside ports.

Ok, it still leaks, BUT the good news is you're headed in the right direction.

Since I was always poor; lay the flange on a flat table. Oh warped. Then take a hacksaw (now a grinder), and cut both outers loose from the 2 center tubes,

The luck I have had with Mr Gasket on big and small mopars is nada; wasted $ for crap. Header, intake, all of it. Same with Edelbrock.

Get it HOT.....Re torque. Get it hot......Re torque. Until you have crushed to a SEAL!

The Remflex gaskets came in the mail today. Already I like them better. Compared to the Percy's they are almost double the thickness. The port size is much larger which matches up the carbon footprint on the old crappy gaskets. Fingers crossed tomorrow.

Attachments

• DSC01992.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 158
  • DSC01993.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 131
Wow, big difference in thickness between the two. Hopefully those will give you the seal you need. THEN, you can call that part done. Good luck.

And the winner is... REMFLEX! I now have 0 exhaust leak at either header. Have driven the car a few times and haven't had to re-tighten the header bolts once. Had I known then what I know now I wouldn't of bothered having my headers shaved down. REMFLEX are it. Period.

-
Back