Header temp question?

-

Shane

Reaction score
I am curious to what the header temperature is when the car (340) is fully warmed up and running on normal summer day??

I have just been curious and figured the best way to find out is to ask here..

thanks,,

Shane

im wondering too mine seemed to of got really warm today.. (mines a 360 if that matters..

Seriously, header temperature will change as conditions change. A good example is with late timing. The gas is burning as it exits the exhaust port more than in the closed valve chamber. The same happens if the mixture is too lean. If you have either problem, it can be readily seen at night or in a very dark garage. The headers will actually glow red at the cylinder head. In cases where the timing is retarded, you can actually see the glow disappear as you advance the distributor.
Individual header tubes can also vary in temperature due to deficiencies in the intake manifold where fuel distribution is not even. People used to have to do goofy cross jetting to overcome this problem. 360 degree intakes do a lot to solve the problem over 180 degree intakes so you don't see this much any more.
Serious racing engines and factory R&D engines are run on the dyno with thermo couples placed in the header tubes about 2-inches from the header flange and they direct exhaust gas temperature (EGT) to individual pyrometers. This how they work out the intake system and proper timing. You won't find too many dyno shops with the pyrometer set ups because they are so expensive. Big diesel trucks use them on the exhaust outlet because they are also tuned by measuring the EGT.
I hope I didn't muddy the waters!
Pat

no not at all, your explanation made alot of sense.

But assuming I have my car tuned right(Think I got her running great right now) what could they max out at?? 400 degrees?? 500 , 300??

I got mine tuned pretty close and running a 180 thermostat last summer I measure it at 480-490 on the outer tubes and 520-530 on the center tubes. The inner tubes run hotter on a SB Mopar due to the middle cylinders having the exhaust valves right next to each other.

ah, thanks fishy!

Your welcome Shane.

BTW: As Pfogel said it can go up in a hurry if the engines not tuned right. An example is the first time I rebuilt an engine and fired it up it burned the 1200 degree paint off of the headers in less than 15 minutes. I didn't have a good timing light and just set it by ear. After that happened I got a good timing light and checked it and found I had it way over advanced. After I backed it off the header temp went right down.

Oh I understand his and your point! I learned the hard way(which is the best way to learn!) lol

Last year I thought I had it running decent, but it was WAY off , and ran hot!

I got it close now...and the weather up here in Canada is beginning to behave, so I can run my car reguarly to confrim my new tune up..LOL

-
Back