Headers

-

garymopar

Reaction score
WHICH HEADERS TO USE ON A 400CI STROKED TO 512CI
MAINLY FOR STREET. USING A MILD SOLID CAM:glasses5:

x3 if you want every little bit of performance you can get , but if you don't want to cut the fenderwells and want something that fits nicely without major hassle go with the Schumacher headers. They won't produce as much hp as fenderwells or other equal length headers but they are basically a bolt in.

Or you can use the TTI under chassis headers, they make them for B and RB engines and the headers are different. Mine are 3.5 X2"

from what ive seen i wouldnt use fenderwell headers if you gave them to me and i just did my 3rd big block abody swap. i dont like how close they run to the master cylinder, lousy tire clearance, i dont like how you have to run the exhaust, and i dont wouldnt wan tot funt my inner fenders. they do look cool and they dont trap the starter but those arent enough to convince me.

Or you can use the TTI under chassis headers, they make them for B and RB engines and the headers are different. Mine are 3.5 X2"

You have a set of under chassis headers for a big block a-body that have 2" primaries and 3 1/2" collectors? Did TTI custom make these for you? If not, do you have a part number for them? Just curious because I'd definitely be interested in a set for my barracuda...

i really liek the tti headers i have the 1 3/4 on my duster with the 400 and the 2" on my dart with the 431. the 2" headers are not made to work with a low deck with stock heads. i moved one or 2 tubes on one header and had to do a little hammering to clear the bellhousing and block flange on the other side. no big deal, but these were pretty old headers that were never used i think they might have changed them as the same time i was fitting them to another car, another guy was also trying to get his to work with a low deck, all he had to do was shim the engine up and ding for the bellhousing flange. my driverside ran right into the starter something was definitely different. i havent had to try with the 2" headers but the 1 3/4 i was able to get the mini starter out with only removing the steering column. the 1 3/4 im using on my duste ri bought them back in 2000 with just the nickle plating, they didnt look beautiful, but they held up great for 10 years old when i removed them and had them ceramic coated black. expensive headers but good stuff. the schumachers are nice too, but the primary tubes are small for any kind of stroker. still better than manifolds though.

I'd like to get the 2 ichers on my 500 low deck in the Duster. They said special order, extra time to do.

special order? did you try mancini arent they a tti vendor?

You can order direct from tti and special order the headers for a low deck stok head.

Go back and see the link above and click on it, check out the clickable link numbers highlited in ble for the cave eats they have discovered in certain applications. They found a few and state a special order maybe needed with XXXX combo, allow more time.

wow so they are offering options now? they used to just tell you, no it wont work and we'd rather not sell them if they arent going to work for you. thats cool.

Last I heard TTI was making them. Ive seen a few set on ebay. None there right now.

I have the Pro Parts 2" stepped to 2 1/8" with 3 1/2" collectors. Got 'em from Bob Mazzolini Racing. They're not cheap, but with 517" and 638hp, 671 ftlbs, I figured they wre a best bet. The engines not in the car yet,but here's some pics of 'em mocked up on the engine to check clearance, as they're meant for an "RB" and my engine's based on a "B". Plug clearance seems good and 2 small spots that needed "massaging", but the collectors are at a wierd angle.

Attachments

• 517mopar 002.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 469
  • 517mopar 004.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 438
  • 517mopar 005.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 442
  • ProPartsHeaders 006.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 415
  • ProPartsHeaders 007.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 439
  • ProPartsHeaders 002.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 433
  • ProPartsHeaders 003.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 431
  • ProPartsHeaders 005.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 439
Definitely go with maddog headers. just bought a set and they fit awesome. never though 2" primarys and 3.5" collects would ever fit on my 400 BB. they cost me $600 in raw. but make sure you engine is in the right spot though. :) and theyre NON-fenderwells BTW.

-
Back