headlight switch?

-

barbee6043

barbee 6043
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
how do you take out the headlight switxch? 63 dart. I can't remember what I have to do to get the stem to pull out of the switch! thanks

Reach under the dash, find the headlight switch and push the button on the side (or the top) of it.You'll have to wiggle the stem a bit to get it out but it should pop out easily.

Disconnect battery then pull knob out on switch. Then push the button on the switch body under the dash and pull the knob and stem out.

Yes do unhook the battery Also tape a penny to your finger and use it to push the button your finger will thank you. Anyone have a picture so he knows what he is pushing ?

Brian

ah, the button, NOW I remember! BUT the stem never would even pull in or out at all. the button will mash in but the stem still would move much less come out???????? HUH!!??????? maybe a penny on the finger an a good battery could help/ ????LOL

THANKS FOR THE PIC but THE STEm would never ever pull in or out as in to turn on lights, much less mash the button and pull the stem all the way out.

First determine if the switch is in or out. I'd just put a rag or some wraps of tape on the knob and tap it with a light mallet. Grab the knob like your trying to pull it out (LOL) and smack it. Push the knob in and give it a light hit. Then try pushing the release button and yank on it some more. You are gonna want to replace the switch so get pissed off at it and make it happen. just don't ruin your knob and stem.

as usuall, I bought it as a roller been siting ???? how many years?? LOL. figure it either got hot and melted somwthing or rusty, I sprayed penetrant best I could, I will smack it this afternoon. or try to cut off stem with cut off if I can get to it.
thanks for minding me of the button. I forgot all about that too.

as usuall, I bought it as a roller been siting ???? how many years?? LOL. figure it either got hot and melted somwthing or rusty, I sprayed penetrant best I could, I will smack it this afternoon. or try to cut off stem with cut off if I can get to it.
thanks for minding me of the button. I forgot all about that too.

Mashing the button with the headlight switch off and then pulling it has worked best for me.

like I said, the stem won't pull in or out. I guess rusted tight. I spayed with penetrant, fixing to go out and tap with hammer. i'll see.

I have access to some bone cars, 63 bel, 66 coronet, 64"/? val. I sprayed rust penetrant ( not sure it has any way to get into the switch), taped it pretty good with hammer, the knob will turn, but can't get it to budge, the release button works normal. the way the surround bezel is made really can't get a cut off wheel to it! LOL
yes I guess moisture got to it. I never had a headlight switch froze like this....

You could take the switch off the stem with enough effort. Destroy the switch to save the stem.

stem cell? yes my next move is to apply to fed govt for some sort of grant! ya o reilly has new switches for $15 whole bucks, less stem of course!LOL the part of dash that covers this area is plastic so I have to be careful how I would attach it ! LOL I can believe it would budge at all!if I try pulling it like nail outa b oard, the stem will bend like an aluminum nail!!!! i'm sure there is a simple answer...
it is pretty sold old car. I ahd to replace both floor pans ( usualy) and little lower rear qtr rust ( always!) LOL . probably leak some around windshield or cowl no doubt.
little things in life like this switch is frustrating.... but it makes me appreciate I don't have bigger problems today!! LOL

WOW!! I finally got it out. claw hammer using wiper knob as fulcrum. its FREE!!! LOL.... guess the rust penetrant finally helped and about 50 pounds of pressure!!!
and it is my day!!! roped and drug an 800 pound bull yearling into the trailer and hauled it over the vet, castrated for $7.50 plus tax!!!! who says there are NO bargains left in this world AND got that dainged switch out!!!

I ordered new headlight switch fri from o reilly picked it up yesterday. put it in while a go. the stem had a little rust mid way dow, the end where it attaches was clean. the new switches release button is wobbly and looks like usualy chinese crap. get the hold down screwed all the way in. stem won't catch!??? LOL
so I pull out ther switch, get the stem in and it catches. mash the realease button. I pull and turn and mash button dozen times, FINALLY it comes out!!! LOL the end of stem has no rust, made it was made slightly off from factory!!?? LOL
got switch back in and few hard wops on tne of stem it finally catches. LIGHTS WORK! LOL
ah the satisfaction of being successful of fixing just a very small liitle thing!????? ya have to wonder if this feeds our male ( or female ) ego sme way or make a curse for some human personality flaw!!???? LOL
thanks all for the a dvice. YES I had forgot about the dainged release button!!!!

-
Back