headlights

-
Yearone.com in the Mopar Catalog part number WIHL8A. It replaces your stock replaceable round light with a permanent light housing that takes H4 lights that pop in and out. I purchased the best H4 I could through AutoZone for 49.99 and my lights are much better than my wifes 2008 Dodge.

Here is the catalog:

http://www.yearone.com/pco/1_0210/full.asp?page=199

Jeez Dan.. you're a wealth of info for sure. So much so, that the little lightbulb over my head is burning so brightly my hair is singeing lol..

Grant

Hi. I have had HID installed on 2 of my cars cars over the last couple of years. I have no idea of the brands, I just asked the speed shop to bring what ever brand they sell in. I have had absolutely no problems with either set nor the cops.

I was going to drop a set on the Duster because it is not a difficult "do" but I happen to find a set of Bosch lights in my basement, and since I am on a budget, I will spend that money on other things. I have also used Ciebie and something called "Mean Mother Magnums" without any pealing or fogging. And yes, I have used them in the winter when we actually had winters.

The older I get, the more light I want so I thought about a set of driving lights but I gather is heresy even though I have seen them on other mopar bodies.

Don't be nervous, bad lights are a danger to you and others..

Oh, and make sure they are aimed correctly..

Grassy

Hi. I have had HID installed on 2 of my cars cars over the last couple of years. I have no idea of the brands, I just asked the speed shop to bring what ever brand they sell in. I have had absolutely no problems with either set nor the cops.

That's good that you haven't had a ticket yet, but just 'cause you haven't been stopped doesn't mean your headlights are OK. They're not; they're unsafe. "HID kits" in halogen-bulb headlamps or fog/auxiliary lamps (any kit, any lamp, any vehicle no matter whether it's a car, truck, motorcycle, etc.) do not work safely or effectively, which is why they are illegal. See here for details. And yes, that ("HID kit" in halogen headlamps) is what you've been buying at the speed shop.

The older I get, the more light I want

Yep. Older eyes don't work as well as younger ones. But -- again -- the second most important factor in how well you see at night isn't the raw amount of light, but where it is distributed. You're much better off with a headlamp that produces half the light but focuses it usefully vs. a headlamp that produces twice the light focused poorly.

I thought about a set of driving lights

"Driving lamp" or "driving light" is a widely misunderstood term. People use it to refer to all kinds of different lights. In fact, driving lamps are auxiliary high beams. They are effective, safe, and legal only for use with the vehicle's main high beam headlamps on dark, empty roads (or off road). Never with low beams, never by themselves, and never in traffic.

There are a few good auxiliary low beams that are traffic-compatible and offer a real help at night. But none of the little mini lites you can buy are worth messing with.

Really, if you need to see reasonably well at night and you are on a tight budget, put in relays (which will improve the performance of even the cruddiest headlamp) and a pair of [ame=http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H29WN2]GE Night Hawk H6024NH[/ame] sealed beams, twenty bucks apiece, the only good cheap headlamp on the market and the only sealed beam worth messing with.

Don't be nervous, bad lights are a danger to you and others.

That is extremely true.

Oh, and make sure they are aimed correctly..

That is also extremely important. Beam aim is in fact the number-one most important factor in how well you see at night. You're safer with a cruddy headlamp aimed correctly than with a good headlamp aimed poorly. Aim info here.

Yep. Older eyes don't work as well as younger ones. But -- again -- the second most important factor in how well you see at night isn't the raw amount of light, but where it is distributed. You're much better off with a headlamp that produces half the light but focuses it usefully vs. a headlamp that produces twice the light focused poorly.

I agree and the Bosch has a very clear pattern on the ground.

In fact, driving lamps are auxiliary high beams.

Yup..in my day they were called pencil beams and were only used with the high beams..I think Lucas made a very good set..nowaday, it means any aux on the front of your vehicle. One of the sad things is that you cannot aim your beams inside of your truck/car. When we were marathone driving in the night..also called coming home from a MX race..I have ajustible air bags on my truck..I would level the truck as well as possible and turn on a aux wide filling spectrum lights that illuminted in front and off to the right because I ran low beam most of the time..

We do safety inspecations in this province. If a car or truck is jacked up using aftermarket gear, the truck is failed. The garage I go to is anal with their inspections. They installed both sets because I had a lot of problems with the Mustang..ended up using the power off the gas pump. I would have thought that they ould have told me no..

Regardless, the moral is buy the best light you can, keep it focused properly (check every 6 months or so) and keep the lens clear.

cheers
ian.

DAN,,,, tons of info to sift thru,,,,but you are correct, i have a set of CHEAP probably china made H4 units in my street rod,,and they are terrible,, i have a set of H4 in my 66 cuda i took from my street rod,,,they appear better then the orignal 66 style,,,and much better then the ones i replaced im my street rod,,, so ill be watching this topic as i need a good set of head lites for both cars,,,dont neeed H4 if there is a non H4 style thats at least better then the orignal style bulbs,,

Where can I find a good set of high intensity discharge lights for my 74 duster? My stock headlights are pitiful, and im going the restomod route anyway.

thanks
Travis

I just put on a new set (stock halogen replacements) on our 69 Dart before she went to the new owner.
They were from Walmart, in stock, bout $12.00 each I think. They were bright as all get out......That's a technical term round these parts!8)

Wallyworld, if they aint got it, yall don't need it!!:-D

It sounds like you get what you pay for..Ciebies, Bosch, Lucas (an american company now)....

How to Swap LED Bulbs to Current Halogen Bulbs

This simple process requires the same steps on how to replace conventional halogen headlight bulbs. The basic steps are as follows:

Materials Needed:

* LED headlamp bulb (according to size and specification)
* Cotton Rag

Step 1 - Preparation and Removal

It is best to work with a cool engine. Lift and support the hood with the hood stand. Disconnect the headlight socket bulb located on the back of the headlight assembly. Remove the protective covering and unhook the lock that holds the bulb in place and remove the bulb.

Step 2 - Insert LED Headlamp Bulb

Inspect the LED headlamp bulb and make sure it is the correct kind and type for your vehicle. Headlamp bulbs come in different configurations such as H4, H3, H7, etc.

The LED headlamp bulb will look different than your ordinary bulb. It comes with 2 to 4 separate panels to hold the diodes in place. Insert the bulb to the headlight assembly similar to how the old bulb was fitted.

Step 3 - Reconnect Socket

Secure the bulb by locking the hook and insert the protective covering before connecting the socket. Turn on your headlamps and test for performance. You may have to aim the alignment of the beam for better performance and to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Refer to your owner's manual or repair manual regarding the procedure. Also check that you compling with all related laws for your state, province or place of residence.

Chow
Grassy

Parts kit number RIK-2 does one whole vehicle equipped with two sealed beam or H4 headlights. It is $49. It includes all relays, relay brackets, terminal blocks, terminals, plugs, sockets, fuses and fuseholders, and is the parts kit that was used for the Allpar installation article. You supply your own wire and use the parts from the kit to build up your own wiring harness per this article. Parts are all premium-grade items (e.g., Bosch-Tyco dual-output 30/40A relays, ceramic headlamp sockets, etc.) that accept large-gauge wire; this is not the "consumer grade" junk you can find at the parts store. The in-car switches continue working normally, and you will not need to cut or otherwise disturb any of the vehicle's original wires.
Dan: where can i get that kit?? RIK-2 from you??
thanks for all your info btw, it's great stuff!!!

It sounds like you get what you pay for..Ciebies, Bosch, Lucas (an american company now)

Lucas' lighting line is not American. It is Lucas in name only; a line of Chinese-made aftermarket replacement lighting devices for cars on the British market.

How to Swap LED Bulbs to Current Halogen Bulbs

Absolutely not. There is no "LED bulb" that comes even a little bit close to producing the amount of light needed, in the distribution required. I hope you are joking. (And yes, I have seen the "LED bulbs" offered by our friends in China.)

Dan,

You should check a little more my friend, .. if you take a look at my sig , you will see I have owned 2 Brit cars ...here is the company I was referring to....'In August 1996, Lucas merged with the American Varity Corporation to form LucasVarity plc". Whether it was made by them is irreverent..it still was branded by them..we in North America do that a lot..!!

"Get the Cool Blue HID Xenon look with cool running long lasting Solid State LED replacement DRLs.
880, H3, H4, H7, HB4, and H11 replacements use a High Power White LED that draws just 30ma (0.030 Amp) @ 12VDC 9 x 120° High Power LEDs that draws just 65ma (0.065 Amp) @ 12VDC - HB4 available with HI LUX 1Watt Natural White LED 880, H3, HB4 & H11 also available in Blue and Amber.”

I didn't see any caveat that this was for off road use only.

You now have me interested enough to actually go talk to the experts for safety inspection. I will tell either way because I am curious.

BTW, if anyone wants the link to a super LED store..that is American..but I don’t expect them to make their products ....kinda like wal-mart making all their own branded products....PM me and I will send you the link.

Cheers

DAN nice stuff on your site,, soon ill try a set and one of the LED 3rd lites,,,ill need 2 complete sets some time soon,,,

I will focus on the "illegality" of HIDs..and I can say that ours HIDs are nothing short of amazing...what ever the brand name.

I could be wrong and will be the first to admint it but when I passed safety with these mechanics, I knew I was OK. However, enough was said to make me question my knowledge just as when a group of Ford company mechanics said my side exhausts was illegal..and that was after I spent the $$$. However, I wasn't wrong.

I have gone searching..

I went over the safety inspectation manual for my province. There is nothing in our safety inspectation literature that would make HID light bulbs illegal. What is illegal are tinted headlamp bulbs, blue, yellow and rainbow versions available from some automotive parts stores are not certified for use on public roads.

HID lights are not “tinted” lights. A definition if you will:

HID (xenon) light sources

HID stands for high-intensity discharge, a term referring to the electric arc that produces the light. The high intensity of the arc comes from metallic salts that are vaporized within the arc chamber. These lamps are formally known as gas-discharge burners, and produce more light for a given level of power consumption than ordinary tungsten and tungsten-halogen bulbs. Because of the increased amounts of light available from HID burners relative to halogen bulbs, HID headlamps producing a given beam pattern can be made smaller than halogen headlamps producing a comparable beam pattern. Alternatively, the larger size can be retained, in which case the xenon headlamp can produce a more robust beam pattern. The light from HID headlamps exhibits a distinct bluish tint when compared with tungsten-filament headlamps

From your own province of Ontario:

The restrictions are:

(a) are coated or covered with a coloured material; or
(b) have been modified by the attachment to the lamps or the motor vehicle of any device that reduces the effective area of the lenses or the intensity of the beam of the lamps. 2002, c. 18, Sched. P, s. 19 (1).or;

No motor vehicle shall carry on the front thereof more than four lighted lamps that project a beam having an intensity of over 300 candela. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 62 (9).

This one is an iffy one that could be fought...There are standards on what a candela is and what a Lumen is but amazingly there is no accepted international standard on how to measure that in an automotive application. This one could be fought.

Thank-you.

Dan,

You should check a little more

Respectfully, no sir. I know (a lot) more than you do on this subject. I eat, sleep, drink, breathe, and smoke vehicle technical regulations, especially lighting-related ones. It's part of what I do all day, every day; If I were to get my facts wrong and something incorrect were to make it into print in the automotive lighting industry's technical journal (I am the Global Editor), I would quickly lose my ability to afford to do neat things like eat food and sleep under a roof. If I were to get my facts wrong and incorporate those incorrect facts into regulatory text proposals in the US, Canadian, or international regulatory development conferences, or into assessments of regulatory petitions in those same forums, I would look like a dumbass -- and I hate looking like a dumbass, so I go to great length to avoid it. I am not going to say I am always right about vehicular lighting, but I usually am.

In August 1996, Lucas merged with the American Varity Corporation to form LucasVarity plc".

True. And irrelevant, because that's not who currently produces the Lucas-branded line of replacement car lights. There's also Lucas engine oil additives (not related), and a whole whackload of other "Lucas" brands in the automotive industry.

"Get the Cool Blue HID Xenon look with cool running long lasting Solid State LED replacement DRLs.

Yes, I am (all too keenly) aware that the Chinese will make and the Americans will market anything they think they can make a buck on. Please keep in mind that your car's exterior lights are not toys or fashion accessories, they are safety devices. "LED bulbs" do not work safely or effectively. "HID kits", likewise, do not work safely or effectively.

I didn't see any caveat that this was for off road use only.

It's easy to misunderstand and think that because something is available on a store shelf, it's OK to use. Walk into any Canadian Tire and go to the lighting section; there's all kinds of illegal lighting equipment on display for immediate sale. "Off-road use only" is a legally meaningless phrase. It is a sort of "nudge-nudge, wink-wink" vendors and marketers use when they are selling noncompliant (i.e., illegal) vehicle equipment. Fact is, the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards and their Canadian equivalents, the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, work on the principle that if a regulated item of motor vehicle equipment is physically capable of being installed on a motor vehicle originally certified as conforming to FMVSS (or CMVSS), then that equipment itself must conform as well. The marketer's or vendor's stated intent for the equipment is irrelevant ("Oh, yeah, I know these lights would fit an '86-'91 Oldsmobile, but we're selling them for off-road, agricultural, and industrial equipment" does not fly). Headlight bulbs are regulated. Headlights are regulated. So are daytime running lights, turn signals, parking lights, brake lights, reversing lights, side marker lights and reflectors, and every other item of vehicular lighting equipment except non-headlight bulbs (brake light bulbs, turn signal bulbs, fog light bulbs, etc.). BUT, that's not a get-out-of-jail-free card, because the FMVSS/CMVSS regulatory structure also says that it is illegal to render inoperative any regulated vehicle item, system, or design feature. "Render inoperative", in turn, is defined not just as disabling something so that it no longer functions, but also altering its performance in a way that makes it noncompliant with the applicable technical regulations. And that is the reason why "LED bulbs" and such are illegal.

Moreover, the principle of Federal preëmption applies: where state (provincial) vehicle equipment code is contrary to the analogous national regulation (FMVSS in USA, CMVSS in Canada), the Federal code holds sway. This is a sensible structural rule; if we didn't have it, a vehicle maker would have to certify each vehicle (or component) to the requirements of every individual US state and every individual Canadian province or territory. That's how it worked before 1968, and the only reason it wasn't more of a nightmare than it was is because there was very little diversity of lighting equipment at the time.

It's not reasonable to expect more than the handful of us who deal with this stuff every day to have a thorough understanding of it. The North American regulations are poorly organized, and they are far from centralized; to get the entire text and context it takes an enormous number of sources/locations. Nobody likes it that way, but that's the way it is. If you pick up one particular bit of it, it's easy to misunderstand what it says because it lacks context.

I will focus on the "illegality" of HIDs..and I can say that ours HIDs are nothing short of amazing

Amazingly dangerous. You cannot make a good headlamp by just spraying random amounts of light on the road. It just plain isn't safe, no matter how much you think you like them. The human visual system is a lousy judge of its own performance; it's easy to create the feeling that our ability to see is much better or much poorer than it actually is. Subjective impressions of headlamp performance, like yours, are almost invariably way out of step with the objective safety performance of the lamps -- even when those subjective impressions come from highly trained experts; the difference is the experts know their impressions are not reliably indicative of the lamps' actual safety performance.

I could be wrong

You are.

when I passed safety with these mechanics, I knew I was OK

Nope. You're not OK, you're just approved. That doesn't make your lights safe (for that matter, it doesn't make your vehicle safe; it just means you paid your inspection fee -- you should see the rolling wrecks in Ontario!)

Most provinces and states have lax or nonexistent vehicle inspections, of which most do not include any but a cursory glance at the lights (if that) to see if they go on and off. That's changing, largely in response to the proliferation of "HID kits" and used vehicles imported from Japan. Go get your hands on a copy of the BC vehicle lighting inspection manual, if you're interested to see what's gradually working its way across Canada. I'm very familiar with that manual; I wrote it for the province.

Look at it another way: You have the option to be:

-Legal but not safe
-Safe but not legal
-Both safe and legal
-Neither safe nor legal

A case can be made for (1) and (2), but (3) is obviously best, don't you agree?

nothing in our safety inspectation literature that would make HID light bulbs illegal.

Nobody sais HID lights are illegal. What's illegal (and dangerous) is installing HID bulbs in headlamps not designed for them.

There are standards on what a candela is and what a Lumen is but amazingly there is no accepted international standard on how to measure that in an automotive application

Um...no. I have no idea what you started with to get this bizarre statement. Measurement of lumens and candela and such from automotive lighting devices and light sources is utterly standardized and has been for many decades.

I'm about done; I'm not real keen to carry on a pissing match with you. You are severely outgunned in knowledge and qualification on this question, but y'know what they say about leading a horse to water (or a horticulture). You're probably going to carry on believing your illegal HID headlamps are amazingly great, and continue to draw incorrect conclusions from what you think you understand of what you think you see, and I can't stop you. All I can do is post tons of info showing you to be wrong so that others will not labour under your same misunderstandings.

...you are right..how do you have a discussion with someone who thinks they know everything ? and who states that publically !!?? I don't think I will ever be at that stage, ever..and if I do, I will have one of my friends correct me..

I will carefully avoid any discussions with you in the future..

It has been enteraining..
Grassy.

...you are right..how do you have a discussion with someone who thinks they know everything ? and who states that publically !!??

You don't. Which is why I was very careful not to say what you seem to think I said. You may want to go back and read more carefully what I actually said.

I don't know what you're an expert on, Grassy, but it's a pretty good bet you know more than I do about something. If that subject were to come up and you were to demonstrate that you are particularly knowledgeable about it, I would hope to have the wisdom and maturity to learn from you rather than carping about your knowing more than I do. Everyone's entitled to his own opinion; nobody's entitled to his own facts.

Dan,

I come from the world of MIL-STD/MIL-SPEC standards in Navy aircraft aerodynamic and environmental testing. There is a reason that MIL standards were created, specifically mainly uniformity of construction and repeatability in performance.

DOT standardizes and tests products for much the same reasons. Some products meet the standards and some do not. Automotive lighting is for safety, just like brakes, and performance is standardized through regulation. I do not want to be blinded by non-standard or poorly aimed headlights and I sure do not want to blind other drivers by doing so. I have had to, on occasion, actually drop down my sunvisor at night to block the headlights of an oncoming yahoo. There is nothing like losing your night vision on a dark, twisting, country road.

Your work in developing the relay system for upgrading the lighting capability of our old MoPars is much appreciated. As I hate to reinvent the wheel, I will be purchasing from you one of the kits when my 'Cuda gets near that point in the rebuild.

I come from the world of MIL-STD/MIL-SPEC standards in Navy aircraft aerodynamic and environmental testing. There is a reason that MIL standards were created, specifically mainly uniformity of construction and repeatability in performance.

Exactly. One of the biggest issues currently on the table in the world of automotive lighting regulations (for design, performance, construction, durability, compliance testing, etc.) is that we are now having companies enter the industry, from countries just beginning to have a domestic auto and auto parts industry, without the basic knowledge the first-world suppliers have had for decades. Many of the regulations, particularly the North American regulations, are written with the assumption that anyone seeking to build a headlamp (brake light, turn signal, reflector, whatever) has a basic understanding of the issues involved, and a basic desire to make a good, safe, effective device of at least reasonably good quality. Now we have people building garbage that meets the letter but not the intent of the regulation. We're scrambling to rewrite things much more explicitly.

DOT standardizes and tests products for much the same reasons. Some products meet the standards and some do not.

Yup. And there's at least one other side of that coin, too: as far as the law is concerned, there are only two kinds of headlamps (brake lights, reflectors, turn signals, brake pads, seat belts, whatever): compliant/legal and noncompliant/illegal. Within "compliant/legal" is an enormous range of allowable performance. This makes it easy for the automaker looking to minimize costs: a cheap, just-barely-compliant lamp means they've met their legal obligation. But it makes it harder for he who's trying to compare headlamps, because ten lamps all marked DOT can range in performance from poor to excellent. And the same is true of lamps type-approved with the international ECE (E-code) mark. And because the USA (alone in the world) does not recognize the international ECE regulations, there are lamps that are good and legal, lamps that are bad and legal, lamps that are good and illegal, and lamps that are bad and illegal.

And, most people don't realize that the American regulatory system works on a self-certification basis, not a type-approval basis. There is no such thing as "DOT-approved". DOT does not approve anything. Neither does SAE. The manufacturer (or importer) of a regulated piece of equipment marks it "DOT" as his certification that the equipment meets the regulation standards. If a pile of twisted metal and dead bodies accumulates and can be traced to a particular piece of equipment, then DOT might do some testing, and if the equipment is not in fact compliant, then the manufacturer or importer might be fined. Occasionally that happens; remember the debacle with Chinese tires a few years ago (where the importer said "Too bad, so sad, we're bankrupt so Eff You"). But the odds are slim of getting smacked for selling noncompliant lights, and since there's no pre-test required, it's easy to just mark the lights "DOT" and sell them as "DOT approved". This system worked okeh in the past, but there is a growing mountain of garbage coming in from China and India with unwarranted "DOT" marks (they're equal-opportunity cheaters; they put counterfeit ECE approval marks just as happily :roll:).

Automotive lighting is for safety, just like brakes

Yup. They're safety devices, not toys, not "Look at me and see how cool I am" fashion accessories.

There is nothing like losing your night vision on a dark, twisting, country road.

There's a technical term for aѕѕclowns who run blinding lights. They're called MFFYs. It stands for Me-First-Screw-You.

Your work in developing the relay system for upgrading the lighting capability of our old MoPars is much appreciated. As I hate to reinvent the wheel, I will be purchasing from you one of the kits when my 'Cuda gets near that point in the rebuild.

Gimme a shout, I'll be here!

Slantsixdan,
Any opinions on Adjure headlights? Here is their site with some neat designs:
http://www.adjureinc.com/mohe.html

edit: I spoke with Dave from adjureinc. He said the 7" Diamond and Wave cut lamps are glass. The Pie cut and Iron cross lamps are plastic.

-
Back