Heads.

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
OK I did get a cam yesterday,so now I am on to the heads,i know i will need new springs comp 901,but whats up with the exhaust vale springs.Why is it different.I know the comp springs will work,but do in need new retainers on the exhaust side? also these are smog heads, some 340-360 are some what the same,should i look for 340-360 that are not smog.

Oppssssssss these are them.

001.JPG

You'll want to get rid of the rotators, they are the retainers on the exhaust valves.
If you have 8 other retainers to replace the rotators, the eddy valve springs are 48 bucks, and work with the factory retainers/keepers.

I have 8 retainers ,no problim,thanks for the help.Now i just pulled out the stock cam and notice that the journal were it sits into the cam bearing is smaller than the new cam,the new cam is wider normal?

002.JPG

normal. same happened to me awhile back, asked on here but never got a concrete answer, no issues with the wider one in motor now

No problem whatsoever. Slip it in with some of the provided lube (and with the usual care to avoid nicking the cam bearings with the lobe edges) and see if all the cam journals fit snugly in to the camshaft bearings, and it rotates smoothly.

normal. same happened to me awhile back, asked on here but never got a concrete answer, no issues with the wider one in motor now

The little width different of that part of the cam is of no issue. Just the diameter.

Snake, do you have spare retainers to replace the rotors? And the proper angled locks?

The little width different of that part of the cam is of no issue. Just the diameter.

Snake, do you have spare retainers to replace the rotors? And the proper angled locks?
Ya i have some left over from a 360 i had some time ago,i think the keepers/locks should work? what about the woodruff key what size is it,i buger the old 1 .

Send me your address and I'll send you a couple of keys. No problem. I'll gettem out Monday or Tuesday

1 for exhaust, 1 for intake.
It's the angle of the locks that must match the angle of the retainer they go into.

The locks you show in the pic, left is an intake half and on the right is an exhaust half. They are all 7 degree as well as the retainers, from the factory.
Plug the air injection holes below the exhaust ports with 1/4 threaded plugs or hammer some lead fishing weights into'em.lol

The locks you show in the pic, left is an intake half and on the right is an exhaust half. They are all 7 degree as well as the retainers, from the factory.
Plug the air injection holes below the exhaust ports with 1/4 threaded plugs or hammer some lead fishing weights into'em.lol
great tip.

You'll want to get rid of the rotators, they are the retainers on the exhaust valves.
If you have 8 other retainers to replace the rotators, the eddy valve springs are 48 bucks, and work with the factory retainers/keepers.
I was talking to the engine builder Friday and he said leave the rotators in there great they spinn keeping the valve face clean,what do you all thinke of that.

I was talking to the engine builder Friday and he said leave the rotators in there great they spinn keeping the valve face clean,what do you all thinke of that.
I gave my thoughts......

Using the rotator will limit the amount of cam lift possible. I see you chose a cam with .462/ .470 lift. Having the rotator you will only be capable of about .400 lift , unless the spring pad area is modified to deal with this. That's an unnecessary expense to achieve what you require. Get rid of the rotator (with its undesirable mass) use the 901 spring and regular intake style retainers with the correct valve lock.

Rumblefish360 here are some of the locks,witch of the 2 are right,thanks for the help.

View attachment 1714966844

One of those is a two-groove lock, and the other is a three-groove lock... You must match them with how many grooves that you have on your valves...

I have 8 retainers ,no problim,thanks for the help.Now i just pulled out the stock cam and notice that the journal were it sits into the cam bearing is smaller than the new cam,the new cam is wider normal?

View attachment 1714966831

That little difference in the width of the journal will not hurt it. As long as it sits in the cam bearing and is the proper diameter....

Ya i have some left over from a 360 i had some time ago,i think the keepers/locks should work? what about the woodruff key what size is it,i buger the old 1 .

Snake, you can go to a hardware store in the fastener aisle and look for a woodruff key drawer/box. Get the 3/16" x 3/4" woodruff key...

DSC02733 B.jpg

DSC02735 B.jpg

DSC02738 B.jpg

Using the rotator will limit the amount of cam lift possible. I see you chose a cam with .462/ .470 lift. Having the rotator you will only be capable of about .400 lift , unless the spring pad area is modified to deal with this. That's an unnecessary expense to achieve what you require. Get rid of the rotator (with its undesirable mass) use the 901 spring and regular intake style retainers with the correct valve lock.
10 4

-
Back